• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:27 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Installation instructions

Started by Kivutar, May 12, 2011, 03:49:04 am

Kivutar

May 12, 2011, 03:49:04 am Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:29:02 am by lirmont
Installation instructions for the testers and gamers (All OSes)

Get the panda3d runtime for your OS and install it.

Download the game client and launch it.

In the actual state of the developpement, the server may be offline due to bugs or security issues, find me on the support channel (Kivutar @ #ffh on irc.esper.net) to get the server running.

Installation instructions for the developpers (Windows)

1. Download Tethical's python source code from the version control website (github): Tethical (zip is 27.7mb as of this writing).
2. If you have Panda3d installed on your machine, you can run the game by creating .BAT files (Windows command-line batch command files), one for the server program and one for the client program (see below for .BAT set up).
3. If you don't have Panda3d installed, get it from Carnegie Mellon University's website for their Panda3d project: Panda3d Software Development Kit (version 1.7.2 @ 84.1mb as of this writing).
5. From this point, you can run the client and server from the installation of Python that comes with Panda3d's SDK:
      1. Navigate to where you unzipped Tethical.
      2. Navigate to the "server" directory.
      3. Create a new file "start.bat".
      4. Paste this into the file:
C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\python\ppython.exe main.py
      5. Copy and paste that file to the "client" directory where you unzipped Tethical.
      6. At this point, place a shortcut to those two .bat files on your desktop (or wherever is convenient to you).
      7. If you want to see errors when they happen (because they cause the program to quit), put "pause" on a the second line of the .BAT files.
6. Open the server (via start.bat).
7. Open the client twice (via the other start.bat).
8. Log in by using the same username and password (a, a, for example; or, b, b, for example).
9. Create a room in one client, join it in the other.

Installation instructions for the developpers (Ubuntu Maverick)

Add the following PPA to your sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/panda3d/ppa/ubuntu maverick main

Install the dependancies

sudo aptitude install panda3d panda3d-runtime libdancer-perl libmodern-perl-perl libjson-perl

Get the source code

git clone git@github.com:Kivutar/tethical.git

Launch the server

cd tethical/server
python main.py

Launch the client

cd tethical/client
python main.py

Natty users should launch the client using python2.6
Tethical, an online FFT clone

bloodafro

how exactly do I sign up for a user name and password?
Barkeep: What'll you have?
Man: What do ya got?
Barkeep: Horse beer and horse soft drinks
Man: Got any horse Coke?
Barkeep: Horse Pepsi ok?
Man:  NAYYYYY!

lirmont

You don't as of 06/09/2011. You just need to enter the same text for username and for password (ex: "user", "user"). Also, "triangle" in the latest version is mapped to "V", space bar is cancel sometimes, and "B" is accept where the enter key doesn't work.

bloodafro

bloodafro

still not working, after I press the connect button it just sits there like I did nothing.

lirmont

That's it waiting for another player (you) to join: (1) open another client up, (2) enter a different username/username, and (3) join the game you made.

bloodafro

ohhhh shit.  Alright thanks man

bloodafro

I can't seem to get it tow work.  : /

lirmont

June 09, 2011, 08:54:40 pm #8 Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:56:41 pm by lirmont
My bad, it sounded like you had managed to get in and make a map. You must run the server application like it says in the first post (or there's nothing to connect to). If you're on Windows, you'll end up with 5 windows open total (1 is the command prompt with the server running in it; 2 are command prompts logging client activity; 2 are the actual windows you play in).

Kivutar

And for now, you have to create the party with the first client before loging in with the second client. Unless the second client won't see the party.
Take a look at my videos on youtube. On most of them, you will see me launching the server, launching the first client, creating the party, lanching the second client and joining the party.

@lirmont: thanks for the support you are providing.

alanai

How do I install? has it changed since the original post or is it still the same?

and also how do I run the other stuff with this. I know how to run python and blender but IDK how to run the actual client.

lirmont

Are you on Windows? If not, refer to Kivutar's instructions up top. If you are on Windows:

1. Download Tethical's python source code from the version control website (github): Tethical (zip is 27.7mb as of this writing).
2. If you have Panda3d installed on your machine, you can run the game by creating .BAT files (Windows command-line batch command files), one for the server program and one for the client program (see below for .BAT set up).
3. If you don't have Panda3d installed, get it from Carnegie Mellon University's website for their Panda3d project: Panda3d Software Development Kit (version 1.7.2 @ 84.1mb as of this writing).
5. From this point, you can run the client and server from the installation of Python that comes with Panda3d's SDK:
      1. Navigate to where you unzipped Tethical.
      2. Navigate to the "server" directory.
      3. Create a new file "start.bat".
      4. Paste this into the file:
C:\Panda3D-1.7.2\python\ppython.exe main.py
      5. Copy and paste that file to the "client" directory where you unzipped Tethical.
      6. At this point, place a shortcut to those two .bat files on your desktop (or wherever is convenient to you).
      7. If you want to see errors when they happen (because they cause the program to quit), put "pause" on a the second line of the .BAT files.
6. Open the server (via start.bat).
7. Open the client twice (via the other start.bat).
8. Log in by using the same username and password (a, a, for example; or, b, b, for example).
9. Create a room in one client, join it in the other.

Kivutar

Thanks lirmont, I edited the first post to add your instructions.

MasterGrand

Good job guys :D

can you add guide step by step by screenshot .

Thanks advance
Let's be together !!

trojanb3

if you could upload a youtube video for install it should be good and we all can enjoy it more easy and faster no ?? :D

ensignavenger

I am having trouble figuring out how to create a party.  First off, I will mention that I am using Panda 1.8, so if it is incompatible with 1.8, that might be my problem :) Iam on Windows 7, 64 bit.

I launch the server then I launch the client.   I login using a,a; then I get a window that has Party, Creator, and Map across the top, and a button that says Create Party.  Oh goody, I should just click on that button :)  But it doesn't do anything.

Perhaps it just does't work with Panda 1.8.

lirmont

It's waiting for a second player to join. Read step 7 and then step 9 of the Windows directions again.

If you expose your server to the internet or your LAN (and configure the application appropriately), you don't have to play against yourself. You can have a friend join and play against you. Party setups are created at random for demonstration purposes at the moment.

ensignavenger

Thanks, I thought the instructions meant for me to do somthing to "create a room" but I guess I just open the client?  But it still doesn't seem to be working.  I have attached a screenshot.

As you can see, I have launched the server, I launched 2 clients, and I logged in on both clients.  I still can't click on anything to get past this stage.

Kivutar

You have to create a party with the triangle button.
The buttons configuration are in the PRC file in the client.
iirc the default is V or B.

ensignavenger

Now a lightbulb just came in on my head :)  So, the input is designed to be used with a game controller, not a mouse?  I kept clicking on the button and nothing was happening!