• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:55 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Steam Job Wheel Discussion

Started by Xifanie, February 17, 2016, 10:31:10 am

Jumza

Quote from: Vanya on February 18, 2016, 04:35:49 pm
-As for the monster job wheel issue, I imagine it's treating the monsters like a normal job and is perhaps treating it like all job requirements are met because there aren't any at all. Just my uneducated guess.

I thought the issue was in reference to how the sprites were appearing :o That is very strange though.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Vanya

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

It's just the sprites.

At this point, I'm like: "screw it". With 12 bytes per "different" job data, and a 1 byte pointer, this nets you:
- Every job gets a level requirement
- Every job gets a story/shop progression requirement
- Every job gets job level requirements of the 20 static jobs

Meaning, if you really want, you could create COMPLETELY new and independent job trees.
I don't think it's going to be that much trouble, but I think it will be totally worth it.

Unfortunately, I doubt such a format would be convenient for the jobs selection on the job wheel. Most entries would only change one job, so it would be insane to use 20+ bytes per entry. In fact, I'm really not sure what would be the best format for those. If I am to indeed successfully implement monster job changing, with the current system, erasing 17 out of 20 jobs would result in 34 bytes usage per monster job. :/
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

3lric

Quote from: DeJ on February 18, 2016, 11:48:01 am
Story based job-unlock would be epic and allow for a different FFT experience. Could also allow you to create hidden events/side-quests that allow certain characters to gain secret jobs.

How? Story progress wouldn't be increased via a hidden event/side-quest, because the variable would just be reset to whatever story progress the next actual story mission sets. It would have to be a unique variable to do something like that.

Xifanie

Honestly, at that point, you could probably just change the Name/Quote ID of the character and give that one the same set of jobs + the new special one. I thought about actually letting players chose 32 flags or a variable, but I think what I just mentioned might be wiser... then again, 32 bits is really nice and would be able to cover both story progression (by setting your own flags at given events), and special sidequest stuff whatever. Ugh. Main issue with bits is that it forces people to learn to event edit.

Announcement: While I'm really happy about all the activity in this topic, I just want to say that I have really bad insomnia problems which prevented to work on the hack at all for over a week because I was insanely tired all the time. Yes, I was able to make some progress in the last days, but my sleep schedule might get fucked up again, who knows. It's not even back on track yet tbh.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

3lric

Quote from: Xifanie on February 18, 2016, 06:36:42 pm
Main issue with bits is that it forces people to learn to event edit.

If at this point, people cannot take the time to simply open an event and edit/add a variable then they don't deserve to use awesome things anyway ;)

Jumza

February 18, 2016, 07:54:30 pm #26 Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:22:40 pm by Jumza
I agree with Elric! (Though we may be biased...) Only if it isn't too hard to implement though, it would be good to have the option but don't work too hard! :P We need you around for more awesome hacks like this! Get well soon!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Kaijyuu

Bard and Dancer use unique data tables though were originally mutually exclusive by gender, correct? Would it be possible to make them use the same table (and again make them mutually exclusive), thus opening up a new job slot without any otherwise noticeable changes from vanilla? I'm guessing job requirements would get in the way, though.

Xifanie

Just make bard's slot use dancer instead for generic females, and any special female characters

Guru

Yeah all good xif, I have the same problem with sleep and it's a miserable feeling! I don't think the world will end if you take some time to rest  :mrgreen: least I hope not lol. I was a lil disappointed everyone voted for story progression at first but I gotta admit it's starting to sound pretty cool.

And yeah if I can learn to event, then anybody should be able to do it. Variables have actually been a little tougher for me then most of the stuff so far but I'm sure once you make sense of it it's really not bad. Plus once you release the hack and I get the variables and such down, me or someone else could always set up a tutorial or something that relates specifically to this hack to make it easier for people who don't event.

Anyways good luck and can't wait to see what ya do!

xjamxx

<Random> This seems to be a PSX issue.
<Elric> A psx issue? That makes no sense. Sounds more like an issue with your OS.

Xifanie

Quote from: xjamxx on April 28, 2019, 04:21:40 pm

What's the relevancy to this topic?

Pedro Henrike

Simple amazing!!!
I was eager to get the job of the Holy Knight and Dark Knight, but I don't want them coming mastered ... it would be interesting to learn their skills at a cost.