• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:16 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

CONMAN

Update: The weird arm grasping I was trying to do is now dropped.  It looked close in shishi, but in game... just not right.  I adjusted the back 3/4 view to match up better...

After dropping the clawing arms, my focus went back to the pants and boot/feet issue.  I knew it would be a pain in the ass to make all the shoes look closer to feet (and some were getting there), but I lucked out when surfing through sprites again :cool:  Chapter 1 delita has boot tops that are colored differently.  It's this part of the boots that make the transition difficult!  Anyway, delita's pants/shoes could easily be turned into skin+anklets.  FINALLY- frickin lizard legs!  To match the rest of the sprite I figured I would give him matching silver colored belt+bracelets.

I'm definitely liking the change.  He still needs a tail.  Dat ass demands it!
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

You can always use Cocatrice as reference for lizard feet, and Dragon's are perfect for back frames, should you have trouble with those. You can find some aid in those two if you have no idea how to make stuff look. For the tail, Ahriman could prove usefull. As for the sprite itself, have you thought about lightening the lightest brown/skin color a bit more? It might work nicely on small view, make it clearer looking(and give that eye a bit of a more definition).

Overall, great concept, I like it! :D
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

CONMAN

Thanks for the response Kage! I had been using the apanda for feet reference and might use it for the back as well.  I hadn't even considered the ahriman tail when I was looking around- will do.   

CONMAN

I was getting a little burnt out on the sprite sheet, so I thought I would take a swing at making a port :shock:  Usually this goes terribly... And it did!  I thought I would try a little more actual work and less copy/pasta than I'm know for on these suckers.  I don't have a good eye for shading and/or have a bad feel for proportions.  Trying to get better, but not pushing too hard either.

My first attempt yesterday started with trying to twist the skeleton head into something raptor-like.  It went so bad I had to throw my hands up and start over from scratch :mad:  I mean, he was on his way to becoming "fft Barney the dinosaur."

I started half-assing my way on the dragon head and actually started to like it...  It's still obviously a dragon port rip- but I think it can get there.  Not done yet: chest, shoulder, little bits still need playing with

Kagebunji

Haha, Barney the Dinosaur. Yeah, the Dragon is a much better approach, Like you mentioned just fix the shoulder, chest, and I would give him scales too. I don't know about those grey pixels on his mouth(tooths), perhaps erase them for now and mess with them later :P

Overall, Great start, clearly you're trying hard to grasp this style, and this is your best approach yet I would say :D
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jumza

I absolutely love where that middle one is going. Great job dude!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Lijj

Looking good! On the portrait; it's going well...
just the single pixel teeth don't look too great right now.
Maybe use a brown as a shader and thicken them a bit; or, like the dragon's, use no bg color.

CONMAN

Did a little more work today on both the port and sheet. 

I tried to add scale-like pattern to the side of his head.  It could be better- I took me a couple tries not make it look poopy.  Messed with the mouth a little bit and tried to work the chest/shoulder.  I think I'll stick with forward-ish facing chest.  Having a little trouble making the shoulder/body separation look right. 

I tried adjusting the ultima demon tail. I think it will work out.  Perhaps I should have switched around the tail for the forward walking. (Having it straighten out when the arm is back covers it.) The back tail has some spots off and it needs the belt adjusted better around it.  Definitely excited to have a tail on this thing, I just need to keep comparing it to the human template to make sure it doesn't pop into another frame.

3lric

The edits to the port look a lot better. This is turning out nicely :D

CONMAN

Made a little more progress.  A few tweaks, but mostly finished.  The singing poses are just place holders... Decided to throw some dragon palettes on it! Holy+Bremondt look a little silly- but still!

Jumza

Dude! Awesome work! I'm so glad that this worked out so well :)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

CONMAN

Almost two years since I have posted here!  I still sprite, but largely lots of little palette swaps and stuff half started (or weak sauce stuff I'm not sure is worth sharing). 

Lots of sprite attempts pop and don't have any follow through.  It's a horrible tease (DAMN YOU UNFINISHED REI SPRITE!).  I try not to post something until it has had some solid work accomplished.  This sprite has a lot of work left to do, but I'm simply too excited not to post a little something.

I'm sure I will need some tips and shoves in the right direction here.

So yeah, I'm trying to turn the final boss Altima sprite into Cthulu....Firstly the original sheet is both awesome and shitty at the same time.  Seriously,  the first time you battle Altima, it's sweet.  Unfortunately, upon closer inspection,  many parts are shit.  The arms are often at funky angles, the wings (at least 1 of them) largely look like crap. 

The nice trade off for this sprite sheet is that larger parts mean much fewer individual parts to do.  I'm going to have a lot of work to do.  The two arms I have done still need work (hands too).  Arms will be a lot of work in general.  While legs really need some tissue on the bone (the lower legs aren't terrible), they shouldn't be too rough.  They are all pretty much the same!  The wings need to be worked on.  I'm thinking they should be single, as opposed the original double wings... I need to get like sea green or blue green for the body (brown is really just there for now).  I wanted longer mouth tentacles, but they interfered with the body/arms animation.

I would keep rambling, but I'm out of time...

3lric

This is hilariously awesome!

Well done as always CONMAN

Angel

Holy fuckbeans, this is awesome! Altima gets overlooked an awful lot, and this is seriously the best alteration I've seen. I did make a Beelzebub/Beezelbub based on it, which is my most lamented lost sprite from HDD failure, and I honestly like your Cthulhu much more.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

CONMAN

March 26, 2017, 07:19:16 pm #234 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:30:18 pm by CONMAN
I appreciate the comments!  I would have loved to see that Beelzebub!

For now, my game plan is to work on all the forward-facing arm work: top of the sheet and then bottom.  Then I'll go for back facing arms and body. Probably legs and the back of the head after.  I tried to mess with wings and got a little frustrated, so I'm putting that off for a little.  I should have an update on Monday or Tuesday.

Tuesday update: A lot of front arm work done. Feel like this thing is going to work out.

CONMAN

Making a little bit of progress here. Little bit more arm/hand work.  Playing with the legs a little bit.  I gave Cthulhu a palette change, I think it looks alright... I've sort of messed with a little bit of back arms... and created an unfortunate Cthulhu ass that will need to be changed up drastically  :shock:

The simple front "walking" is coming together, so I'm happy about that.

nitwit

Would be really creepy if the mouth tentacles wriggled while it was casting.  Nice thigh gap too, lol: T H I C C

Twinees

Hey Conman, its looking okay but there are more noticeable issues with the new changes you've made. The legs (and also the butt) look very pillow shaded and look different in length now. Its easily noticeable due to the knees being nearly exactly level but the feet are the correct perspective. And the abs/his body look a little that way too, its too straight? Anyway, I hope that helps a little. And both palettes you've chosen look okay, I can't decide on which one looks better :)

CONMAN

Thanks for the critique Twinees! 

I knew the butt was straight garbage as soon as I slapped it on there.  I had done a quick google search to try and get a feel drawing legs, but I was scared of doing the same for drawing butts!  The butt will definitely start from scratch again... 

I had a feeling about the legs looking strange (not just the weak ass shading attempts).  I couldn't be sure of what was off, and now that you point it out, it seems obvious :mad:

I get what you are saying about the body/abs it should slowly adjust more from top to bottom. 

CONMAN

Slowly making some progress. I was on a roll for a little bit, but got burnt out and bounced back and forth between sprites and events.  The front needs better shading but has meat on it.  A lot of back arms are obscured by the wings, so at least there is that. The butt and back legs will be some trouble...

Thought I would post some shishi images to give a better look at how the parts have come together on the front.