• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:01:39 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

AI Tournament Summer 2015

Started by Barren, May 07, 2015, 03:31:48 pm

What should be the rules for the next AI Tournament?

Season 4 AI Tournament with regular tournament rules
9 (64.3%)
SCC Rules
2 (14.3%)
silentkaster's Rules
2 (14.3%)
Wait until 1.39D or 1.4
0 (0%)
Go outside and enjoy summer vacation
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 14, 2015, 03:33:52 pm

Barren

May 07, 2015, 03:31:48 pm Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 09:11:48 am by Barren
Hey guys finals are over and I'd say we take out our stress and anxiety on the AI Tournament for the summer. Though really we should be hitting the beach and catching the waves. That aside, I will be putting up a poll about the rules for the tournament that everyone will be cool with. Everyone has about one week to decide since I don't think this should be that drawn out at all. So vote away!

Also to recap silentkaster's idea for tourney rules

Forced rule: Two sets of twins
Forced Rule: Team Battle...everyone makes two units. Randomly paired with another participant in Round Robin format. When only two participants remain, they must create two additional units to battle. Would be a point system.
Forced Rule: All units must be one class
Forced Rule: Straight character Challenge (no secondaries and all action/reaction/support/movement abilities on a unit can only be from that unit's class).
Forced Rule: All participants create a team normally. However, a fifth unit must be created. A random unit on each team will be replaced by the 5th unit everyone creates and it can appear on any team including the creator's (if they are randomly selected of course.)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Jumza

I'm a little confused about silentkasters ideas.

Quote from: Barren on May 07, 2015, 03:31:48 pm
Forced rule: Two sets of twins
Forced Rule: Team Battle...everyone makes two units. Randomly paired with another participant in Round Robin format. When only two participants remain, they must create two additional units to battle. Would be a point system.
Forced Rule: All participants create a team normally. However, a fifth unit must be created. A random unit on each team will be replaced by the 5th unit everyone creates and it can appear on any team including the creator's (if they are randomly selected of course.)

So everyone makes 2 units that are identical, then a normal team, then a fifth unit? Would the teams be a set of twins then 2 of the random units?
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Barren

Yea those were my thoughts too honestly. And its just too much work to be done from the sound of it. But whenever silentkaster does pop around i'm sure he'll elaborate

Mudvayne

Too confused on the rules at this time to vote.

I would love a tourney though. I can also help with the recording of matches.

Barren

Since you're new Mudvayne I'll briefly explain:

The Seasonal Tournament is like submitting a team for Arena with the JP cap and all that stuff like we've been doing, so its nothing out of the ordinary.

SCC (Single Class Challenge) is has the same basic rules as the regular arena matches except that you must have a team of one class only i.e. four bards or four wizards.

Mudvayne

I am still confused about silentkasters idea. Thanks for the explanation Barren.

I vote just regular rules for the tourney 

silentkaster

No. Only one of those ideas. Not all of them. I can't explain much, but each line was a seperate idea. I wouldn't want all of them used.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

I meant to say that silentkaster would chose the rules but that obviously didn't compute correctly on my end. So sorry guys that I wasn't clear before

Mudvayne

"Forced rule: Two sets of twins
Forced Rule: Team Battle...everyone makes two units. Randomly paired with another participant in Round Robin format. When only two participants remain, they must create two additional units to battle. Would be a point system."

Those are both cool rules to enforce imo. Maybe have everything like a standard tourney, except force that teams must be two sets of twins?
I also don't mind making two units normally and then pairing up with someone else but then you may run into the issue of duplicate items/classes/abilities unless that isn't a problem or will be made sure to be avoided.

Whatever ends up happening I'm fine with, I'm looking forward to participating.  :mrgreen:

silentkaster

For the record, if you vote for me to choose the rules, it will be everyone create two units. Tournament would then be round robin style. So essentially...

Round 1: Team A/Team B vs Team C/Team D
Round 2: Team A/Team C vs Team B/Team D
Round 3: Team A/Team D vs Team B/Team C

Your team must be two unique units. No copies of abilities or equipment on anyone (so that all teams will be able to fit under regular Arena rules).

Each victory in a round will earn that team 5 points. Going to a Match 3 in a round will earn a losing team 2 points. Each unit that is crystallized in a round will earn the opposing teams 1 point. (Not entirely sure about point system so please give input if the idea gets voted in.) the two teams who earn the most points will advance to the next bracket.

Finally, everyone must submit four units. Two units that will be the ones used for the team matches, and two units that will be used for tiebreakers and the finals. (For example, let's say in a bracket, Team A scores 17 points, Teams B and C earn 10 and Team D earns 5. Teams B and C now participate in a tiebreaker match to advance by adding their two inactive units. Also, when there are only 2 participants remaining, the two will need their inactive units to battle.)

You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Elmdork

Though I'd be down for some of silentkaster's ideas in more of a mini game setting, I think standard rules will work best. We have some new guys, so overcomplicating things might put some at a disadvantage. SCC wouldn't be bad either, but I like standard better for this simply because its more fun to watch IMO.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Shintroy

I like the two unit Idea, just no post tournament editing allowed like the last tournament.

Definitely salty about getting hard countered by evasion.
Some day my people will be free.

Barren

Quick heads up the voting poll ends in a couple of days so for those who haven't voted yet please do because there's still time to change things.

Mudvayne

Well it looks like regular rules is ahead by a commanding lead with 8 votes. The second closest is the SCC with only 2 votes... Do you think there will be 7-8+ votes in other catagories in a matter of a couple days? I don't think so but it's ok to keep open still for a couple more days I suppose.

I'd say get the registration topic open in a couple days and get people registering to get things kicking off in a couple weeks, ideally.

Barren

What I plan on doing is doing a registration page on the day that it ends so we really wont have to waste too much time

Elmdork

Err... is it standard or unlimited JP 1 item/ability? Dunno if that was obvious to everyone, feel as if that should have been a voting option.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Barren

I put down regular tournament rules so that should mean regular arena rules.

Barren

With the voting poll pretty much in the books I will start a registration page today. Thank you all for voting