• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:38 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Effect Testing in Cut Scenes

Started by TheChad, May 17, 2011, 08:35:25 pm

TheChad

One thing I've noticed while event editing is that effects can be rather...persnickety.  Some effects work just fine, and some I'm convinced will always be glitchy - they either won't center on the target like they should, or they only display part of the effect (as compared to the full in-battle effect), or some just crash the game altogether.

Additionally, using the Effect() event instruction, the effects do not have the same sequence or hex byte value as the in-battle effects video lists.  This can be particularly maddening as an event editor when you're searching for a particular event.  I've often coded what I was the proper effect, only to compile and watch and find I actually called a completely different effect.

To prevent all that guesswork, I made these Effect Testing events for myself so I could see exactly how each effect would work in a cut scene - which ones would work without glitching and what the exact ID of each effect is for calling it using Effect().

I figured these might be useful for anyone else adding effects to their events, so I'll post the ppfs here.  I don't have video software, but if anyone wanted to make videos of these that would probably be a lot more useful than these ppfs.  Then people could just skid through the video.

Anyway, these helped me, hopefully they'll help someone else.  They all replace the Orbonne event and just show each effect ID cast sequentially on a target.

TheChad

Continuation - sets 3 and 4 of the testing.

LastingDawn

Very nice work TheChad! I can see these being quite useful to those heavy into event editing.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

3lric

I normally would not revive such an old topic but these should really be avaliable for download other than just here, they are a MAJOR time saver and helps immensely when it comes to event editing
  • Modding version: PSX