• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:17:09 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Thoughts on WotG Classic vs 5.1?

Started by SWFFT, July 08, 2012, 04:30:19 pm

SWFFT

I'm in the mood for another FFT challenge after completing 1.3 last year, and since it looks the new version of FFT+ is probably quite a ways away, I'm looking at giving WotG a go.

I noticed Jon posted two versions in this forum. I was just wondering what people's opinions were of the classic vs this new 5.1 version? Thoughts on if one is more "stupid difficult" instead of "challenging difficult" than the other? If there is one that people found more fun than the other? I'm a little turned off by the complete randomness of the equipment that the enemy can be used (feel like it'd lead to a lack of consistency in difficulty and can break the game if you happen to get lucky, or can make it easy by spending all of your time using steal/invite to get all the rare items in the very beginning).

Thanks a bunch!

Dome

Sadly, WOTG -IS- about randomness XD
If Randomness turns you off, WOTG might not be your cup of tea

P.s: If I had to, I'd play the "classic" version

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Otabo

I haven't looked at the 5.1 version, but classic, IMO is a little better.

I always wanted to run WotG with FFT+, but decided to DD instead. But I'm currently doing WotG with Celdia's Complete patch though - with all of the changes to jobs/items/battles, etc, makes things a lot more interesting (and more difficult, IMO)

Dome

@Otabo
If you want to run WOTG with FFT +, wait for the next version, which will further balance the gameplay, implement more stuff & finish the DD

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Otabo

Quote from: Dome on July 08, 2012, 05:34:42 pm
@Otabo
If you want to run WOTG with FFT +, wait for the next version, which will further balance the gameplay, implement more stuff & finish the DD

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing. :D

Jon

Well to answer SWFFT, even I don't play 5.1 and haven't since I played it once up to chapter 3 and realized that it is in fact kinda stupid. If you guys are interested, I was planning a long while ago of branching out and making my very own War of the Gods loosely based on War of the Gods Classic. It would pretty much be like if you'd take vanilla and turn it hardcore by removing broken stuff and making the enemies much harder (with better equips and having them learn more devastating spells). It still would not compare to the difficulty of 1.3 or FFT+, but it certainly would provide a nice challenge to the player who wants the vanilla experience revved up a bit.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!