• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:19:50 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

WotL Slowdown Removal Patch

Started by endrift, February 22, 2012, 02:21:59 pm

blake08812

I also have to add that it does not work in OneMenu, as it doesn't load the plugins. In fact I can't run it from TN-V now because I get an error message when I try to.

theonlytrueone

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me figure how to get the patch to work.

I just got the game working through Ark on my Vita, but I have been having trouble getting the patch to work.

So I placed the plugins.txt in the Ark_01234 folder and transferred that to my vita using CMA.

I then placed the livepatch folder in the save data folder with my FFT iso and transferred it to my vita.

But when I run the game, it is still slow.

Am I doing this wrong?

Wafflebaby

All of the stuff being talked about just makes my head hurt. Does anyone happen to know whether the stretching and slowdown in War of the Lions can be patched when the digital version of the PSP game was purchased from the PlayStation Store onto a PlayStation TV? I figured out how to download some kind of application called Content Manager Assistant, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Angel

Two things: the livepatch is written to be run on a PSP (not a Vita or PSTV), and you do not want to disable stretching unless you are playing on a PSP and hate both blurryvision and uneven pixel spanning. You want the stretching in every other case, because it's doing that to preserve the pixel aspect of the original game so that it looks like how it's supposed to on a TV. Aspect ratio is good, aspect ratio is god. Praise be to aspect ratio.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Wafflebaby

In that case, is there any other way to make the image be less distorted? Or is this as good as it'll get as a digital copy?
http://i.imgur.com/lYs9L0g.jpg

EDIT: Removed image attachment and replaced with hyperlink.

Angel

Oh wow, that's some ugly screen filtering right there. o.o

I don't have a PSTV, but the screen filter should have options to toggle. PS3 does, at least, even if it's only two options (blocky or blurry). But yeah, that's unacceptable. Unfortunately, I don't think the stretching hack would work to begin with, because that's very obviously a post-processing filter.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

endrift

On the Vita, you can hold down the PS button when in a PSP game and you can switch between linear and nearest neighbor filtering. That's...clearly not linear, and is doing some smoothing, so idk. But you can probably do something similar on the Vita TV.

As for the other patches...not really, no. You need to install eCFW (not easy/even possible on all firmwares), which I don't think will have access to the PSN version. If it does, you can set things up, but I'm not the right person to ask about that. The forums at wololo.net will be more helpful.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

solidshredder

Quote from: Toshiko on May 15, 2014, 08:54:44 pm
The topic predates PPSSPP considerably, so, ISO. Though it may be easier to just look for the bytes to change and edit it with a hex editor, since there are so many English versions of WotL that you are likely to pull out every hair on your head trying to get the ISO to patch properly. Unless you already have a Euro ISO, in which case, use Eternal's ppf.

So, can someone please help me with the process of manually fixing the stretching? I'm running PPSSPP so I can't use the livepatch. I've got an extracted ISO and a Hex editor. I'm guessing I need to change some of the values listed here http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/War_of_the_Lions in the EBOOT file? Can someone please tell me exactly which values I'll want to be changing and perhaps give an example of changing one of them with a HEX editor so I can do the rest on my own? I'm using version ULUS 10297 of the game if that helps. Thanks a lot!

Angel

Forgive my vulgarity, but why in the actual fuck would you want the stretch patch if you're using PPSSPP? It's designed to restore pixel aspect (which is dead wrong for viewing purposes) and I doubt your monitor is PSP resolution to get the actual benefit out of it. All you'd do is make the image squished and not take up the full screen.

solidshredder

February 27, 2016, 01:05:17 pm #229 Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:15:10 pm by solidshredder
Quote from: Toshiko on February 26, 2016, 07:55:15 pm
Forgive my vulgarity, but why in the actual fuck would you want the stretch patch if you're using PPSSPP? It's designed to restore pixel aspect (which is dead wrong for viewing purposes) and I doubt your monitor is PSP resolution to get the actual benefit out of it. All you'd do is make the image squished and not take up the full screen.

Lol, come on man. Calm down. I don't like the image being stretched from the original PSX aspect/pixel ratio. I don't think it looks good at all. Every character sprite looks a little shorter and fatter especially when playing on a big monitor. Using PPSSPP, which I'm VERY familiar with, I can get a 1/2 - 1/4 pixel ratio (which is PERFECT) IF I can get it back to it's original proportions.

I'll give you an example. When playing FFT on ePSXe I set up the emulator so that it EXACTLY doubles the pixel ratio. So, for every original pixel in the game I get 4 on the screen, which leave the proportions perfectly where they should be and looks great. In other words, I'm exactly doubling the resolution. I tell it to NOT go full screen, so I do deal with small black bars at the top and bottom of the image but it's a small price to pay for having perfect pixel ratio. I want to do the same thing with the PSP version since I feel it's superior to the PSX version.

I hope I made this clear enough. It's a lot easier to see what I'm talking about when looking at comparison images.

Angel

"Where they should be" is incorrect, since the game was designed for 4:3 output. 320x480 is another strange resolution that gets sorted to 4:3 by output, and would look absolutely ridiculous at pixel aspect. 4:3 is how it should be, how it was intended to appear. This was kept in mind when porting to PSP, and scaled accordingly for the new 16:9 display.

Don't get me wrong, I hate stretching, too - especially the fuglystretching ePSXe does (which is a poor choice of emulator for FFT, but that's an argument for another day) - but I've always had the game on a real PlayStation, to a real TV that displays it properly, and PPSSPP does an outstanding job of keeping the crispness of the image without distortion while showing at the correct ratio. I wish more emulators handled scaling as intelligently and beautifully as PPSSPP does. Half the time, I have to fall back on user-made filters.

If you're still adamant about having it draw at pixel ratio with incorrect proportions, I begrudgingly understand. Just please don't say that it's how it should be.

cloudropis

April 18, 2016, 12:01:42 pm #231 Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:11:33 pm by cloudropis
Hi, I have trouble running the slowdown removal patch.

I'm running an ISO ripped from an original NTSC-U/Greatest Hits version of the game - I had to do so to apply sadnes city's translation patch (I'm namedropping in case there is a known problem with that particular patch, not intended to be spam). I tried applying the slowdown and unstretch patches following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7stkSsobPM&feature=youtu.be and, while the latter works, the former (and the one I really care about) doesn't have any effect. I loaded up my old save file, tried using some of Ramza's Squire abilities and they still suffer slowdowns.
This is how my folders look like http://imgur.com/ImMR8Ic

Again, the aspect ratio patch does work, and the translation patch makers suggest the slowdown removal too (even though through an executable by a french hacker called "plastik", of which I found nothing online, and whose tool was supposed to be included in the translation patch - sadly it's not anymore, so I'm stuck with livepatch) so it should be compatible.

Any tips?

EDIT did some other testing with both my original UMD and the translated ISO (and I now I'm beating a dead horse but, goddamn, the UMD load times are nightmare fuels) and the UMD/english copy does have slowdowns removed. It's the translated iso that doesn't work, only the unstretching patch does with it. I'll ask on the translators' forum, but does anyone have an idea about what might be causing this and how to fix it (for example, I just noticed another thread here with the slowdown patch in .pff form. Can I apply it on top of the already .pffed, due to the translation, ISO?)?

LeonKiseki

Hi! so I download the files and I did the steps I saw on this youtube video but I'm not sure now if I did it good or wrong hahaha... and there's not many good comparison videos on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7stkSsobPMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7stkSsobPM
  • Modding version: WotL
  • Discord username: LeonKiseki

Nyzer

Quote from: LeonKiseki on January 15, 2021, 08:14:10 pmHi! so I download the files and I did the steps I saw on this youtube video but I'm not sure now if I did it good or wrong hahaha...

Um... well, are the spells slow or fast now?

LeonKiseki

Nyzer

LeonKiseki

Quote from: Nyzer on January 17, 2021, 07:57:13 pmAnd your PSP has CFW?

Yes, fresh new (I'm playing Valkyria chronicles 3 thanks to an ISO so it's fine) :s I'm sure I did something wrong but I don't know what (installing the patch I mean). The patch work on UMD version of the game, right?

LeonKiseki

Still having problem with this, does anyone can show me a good tutorial to install it? I want to use my UMD and not an ISO :(

KekoDeLoco

November 03, 2022, 09:11:40 am #238 Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:29:20 pm by KekoDeLoco
So I downloaded the .7z file for the slowdown animation patch from cdromance since it says it has the patch already implemented into it. After I extract the files though I can't find what would be the .iso file in it. I'd love any guidance on this since I want to try the game without lag. I'm trying to put it on my psp 3000 model, thank you!

Edit: I figured it out. The .iso extension wasn't showing up through all the text of the file name XD can't wait to enjoy <3
  • Discord username: KekoDeLoco#1472