• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:51:56 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT: WotL "Vanilla Bean" Patch

Started by Stories8106, April 12, 2017, 08:45:28 pm

Stories8106

April 12, 2017, 08:45:28 pm Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:53:51 pm by Stories8106
Hey guys! Longtime lurker on this forum.  Was recently inspired by BleuVII's Emergence patch, then started (and finished) my own.

Feeling lazy, so i'll copypasta the changelog into a spoilertag since it covers everything I'd want to say here.  Make sure you use a clean EUR ISO, you know, the one that everyone uses for Eternal's Slowdown PPF.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions "Vanilla Bean" Patch Changelog
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. This is my FFT improvement patch that makes the game as close to the way I feel it should have been, but still managing to keep that vanilla feel.

For starters, and perhaps most importantly, Ramza can become a Dark Knight! Well... kinda. My original intention was to finally have  Ramza learn those precious Dark Knight skills from Gaffgarion's crystal. It's possible, but only with ASM hacks for the PSX version.  But this is the far superior PSP version (because the slowdown patch is here, duh) and unfortunately, my hacking know-how isn't good enough to make it happen without premade tools.  So, the next best thing! Ramza can learn Shadowblade and Duskblade on hit during the fights with Gaffgarion.  He almost guaranteed to get hit with Shadowblade at Lionel, but don't worry if you miss out on Duskblade. Chapter 4 Ramza and Orlandeau are now the only player characters capable of learning Dark Knight abilities.

Speaking of Dark Knight, that job class is gone to generics, replaced with the Destroyer.  I really liked the idea of a crazy powerful class that somehow combined magick and swordskills, but there's more on that class later.

Calculators (Arithmaticians) are broken and we all know it. Inspired by FFT 1.3 and FFT Arena, I made the Scholar: a powerful, high level mage who took nearly all the powerful spells from other classes and is the sole user of books as weapons. But! I did keep the rare battle with Arithmeticians completely intact, skillset and all :)

Speaking of items and weapons... Summoners can now only use rods, Mystics can now only use poles.  Treasure Hunter is now 100% of finding the rare item. Getting to these spots was hard enough without the RNG permanently screwing you out of rare items.

For now, I left poaching as is because you can farm.

Some moves were tweaked, some animations were changed, more on those in the Job details section.  Charge time was reduced for a decent amount of abilities, but not too crazy because I wanted to keep the vanilla feel.

Abilities have been heavily re-classed and are now much more in line with where they belong.  More classes have innate abilities.  JP costs have been adjusted for most jobs, although Summoner admittedly hasn't changed much.

Special Characters were tweaked all over!  Mustadio was nerfed, Holy Knights were tweaked, MP was given to all swordskills, and Orlandeau... well... He's the same! OP Orlandeau is vanilla FFT! Cloud's charge times have been reduced, but not tested (yet).  The Materia Blade was buffed pretty heavily. All of Beowulf's ability animations were swapped with the Mystic, and his Vengeance got range nerfed and sent elsewhere. Balthier probably got hit the hardest.  Barrage got sent to the Onion Knight, and his Plunder Item skills removed.  But he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.

Hopefully you get some enjoyment out of this patch.  I put alot of work in, and paid alot of attention to detail on those help screens.  So let me know if I missed something!

And last but not least, I'd like to shout out the inspirations and people who made this possible.

BleuVII for the Emergence patch.  Gave me ideas to steal, the inspiration, and the background on the eboot for this patch

The entire FFT 1.3 team and the FFT Arena team for stolen class and balance ideas.

Archaemic for the PSP slowdown fix, Eternal for the PPF.

FFTPatcher Credit:
-Joe Davidson
-ZodiacFFTM
-Dakitty
-NaXaR
-Raijinili
-Weltall
-aerostar
-element109

FFTacText Credit:
-Joe Davidson
-Gomtuu
-Zodiac

And of course the entire FF Hacktics forum for the knowledge to overcome bugs and glitches along the way.

---------------------
Job Requirements:
---------------------
-Squire (None)
-Chemist (None)
-Knight (Squire level 2)
-Archer (Squire level 2)
-Monk (Knight level 3)
-Priest (Chemist level 2)
-Wizard (Chemist level 2)
-Enchanter (Priest level 3)
-Mystic (Wizard level 3)
-Thief (Archer level 3)
-Orator (Chemist level 4)
-Summoner (Priest level 4, Wizard level 4, Enchanter level 3, Mystic level 3)
-Geomancer (Monk level 4, Mystic level 2)
-Lancer (Knight level 4)
-Samurai (Archer level 3, Monk level 5, Lancer level 4)
-Ninja (Chemist level 4, Knight level 3, Thief level 5)
-Mime (All above jobs level 3)
-Scholar (Priest level 6, Wizard level 6, Summoner level 6)
-Bard (Orator level 5, Enchanter level 5)
-Dancer (Orator level 5, Mystic level 5)
-Destroyer (Knight mastered, Wizard mastered, 20 Kills)
-Onion Knight (Squire level 8)

---------------------
Generic Job Related:
---------------------

------
Squire
------
Fundaments:

Tackle {Random# DMG Increased from 4 to 6}
Stone
Salve {Added Disable / Immobilize removal}
Chant {Range now 2} (from Ramza)
Revive {100% Hit, 15% HP Restored} (from Monk)

Reaction Abilities:

Counter Tackle

Support Abilities

Poach
JP Boost
EXP Boost

Movement Abilities

Move +1
Ignore Terrain

------
Chemist
------
Items:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

Auto-Potion

Support Abilities

Throw Items (Innate)

Movement Abilities

Treasure Hunter

------
Knight
------
Charge:

Given all Archer's Aim abilities

Reaction Abilities:

Parry
Counter

Support Abilities:

Equip Swords
Equip Shields
HP Boost

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Archer
------
Marksmanship:

Tailwind {now affects self} (from Ramza)
Leg Shot (from Mustadio)
Arm Shot (from Mustadio)
Seal Evil (from Mustadio)

Reaction Abilities:

Vigilance (Innate)

Support Abilities:

Concentration
Defend (Innate)

Movement Abilities:

Jump +1

------
Monk
------
Martial Arts:

All abilities the same
Added Focus (from Squire)
Added Steel {now affects self} (from Ramza)
Removed Revive and given to Squire

Reaction Abilities:

Fury

Support Abilities:

Brawler (Innate)
Vehemence

Movement Abilities:

Waterwalking

------
Priest (formerly White Mage)
------
White Magicks:

All abilities the same {Reduced charged time on some spells}
Raise {Restores 50% HP and 100% Hit Rate}
Arise {Restores 100% HP and 100% Hit Rate}
Removed Holy and given to Scholar

Reaction Abilities:

Regenerate
Critical: Recover HP

Support Abilities:

Arcane Defense

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Wizard (formerly Black Mage)
------
Black Magicks:

All abilities the same {Reduced charged time on some spells}
Removed Poison and given to Scholar
Removed Toad and given to Scholar
Removed Death and given to Scholar
Removed Flare and given to Scholar

Reaction Abilities:

Magick Boost
Critical: Recover MP

Support Abilities:

Arcane Strength

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Enchanter (formerly Time Mage)
------
Enchantment:

All abilities the same
Removed Meteor and given to Scholar

Reaction Abilities:

Critical: Quick

Support Abilities:

Swiftness

Movement Abilities:

Levitate
Lifefont

------
Mystic
------
Mystic Arts:

Unchanged {All animations swapped with Beowulf}

Reaction Abilities:

Absorb MP
Mana Shield

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

Manafont

------
Thief
------
Steal:

All abilities the same
Removed Steal Heart
Removed Steal EXP

Reaction Abilities:

Reflexes
Gil Snapper

Support Abilities:

Safeguard

Movement Abilities:

Move +2
Jump +2

------
Orator
------
Speechcraft:

All abilities the same
Added Shout (from Ramza)

Reaction Abilities:

Earplug

Support Abilities:

Equip Guns
Tame
Beast Tongue (Innate)
Beastmaster (Innate)

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Summoner
------
Summon:

All abilities the same
Removed Zodiark and given to Scholar

Reaction Abilities:

Faith Boost

Support Abilities:

Halve MP

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Geomancer
------
Geomancy:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

Nature's Wrath

Support Abilities

Equip Axes

Movement Abilities

Swim (Innate***) - Innate, but cannot be learned by Geomancer, must be learned by Ninja
Lavawalking (Innate)
Ignore Terrain (Innate)

------
Lancer (formerly Dragoon)
------
Jump:

Unchanged

Action Abilities:

Reaction Abilities:

Dragonheart
Defense Boost

Support Abilities

Equip Heavy Armor
Equip Polearms

Movement Abilities

Ignore Elevation

------
Samurai
------
Draw Out:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

Shiridori
Bravery Boost

Support Abilities:

Doublehand
Equip Katana

Movement Abilities

None

------
Ninja
------
Throw:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

Vanish (Innate)
Archer's Bane
Sticky Fingers

Support Abilities:

Dual Wield (Innate)

Movement Abilities:

Swim
Jump +3

------
Mime
------
Mime:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

None

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Scholar
------
Sorcery:

Poison
Toad
Holy
Dark {New ability, opposite of Holy}
Flare
Death
Meteor
Ultima {Still requires learn on hit}
Zodiark {Still requires learn on hit}

Reaction Abilities:

Magick Counter
Magick Boost
Soulbind

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

Fly
Teleport

------
Bard
------
Sing:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

First Strike
Cup of Life

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

Move +3
Accrue JP
Accrue EXP

------
Dancer
------
Dance:

Unchanged

Reaction Abilities:

First Strike
Cup of Life

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

Move +3
Accrue JP
Accrue EXP

------
Destroyer
------
Arts of War:

Break Helm
Break Armor
Break Weapon 
Break Accessory
Vengeance {Range nerfed from 8 to 3} (from Beowulf)
Crushing Blow {MP added} (from Dark Knight)

Reaction Abilities:

Bonecrusher

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

None

------
Onion Knight
------
Bravery:

Barrage (from Balthier)
Fira
Thundara
Blizzara

Reaction Abilities:

None

Support Abilities:

None

Movement Abilities:

None

---------------------
Special Jobs:
---------------------
All Special Jobs have had reaction, support, and movement abilities tweaked.
Most Special Jobs have been renamed.

-----
Ramza
-----
-Starts with standard Fundaments
-Ch 2 & 3 can learn on hit Shadowblade & Duskblade from Gaffgarion
-Ch 4 keeps Fundaments and can learn all Dark Knight moves except Crushing Blow.

-----
Agrias / Delita
-----
-Judgment Blade
-Northswain's Strike {Changed to range 1, effect 3 type move, think inverse of Abyssal Blade}
-Hallowed Bolt
-Divine Ruination
-Cleansing Strike {Power boosted to be most powerful Holy Sword technique}

-Delita's Holy Knight class adds Fundaments
-Delita's Ark Knight class adds Holy Swordskills and Fundaments

-----
Mustadio
-----
-Given Knight Rend MP, Rend Speed, Rend Magick, Rend Power Skills {Renamed}
-Removed Original Skills and given to Archer

-----
Luso
-----
-Added Steel, Entice, and Tailwind to Fundaments
-Innate Beast Tongue, Beastmaster, Poach, and Tame

-----
Argath
-----
-Fundaments, minus Tackle, added original Rend Helm and Rend Armor

-----
Orlandeau
-----
-Added the other 2 Dark Knight swordskills

-----
Meliadoul
-----
-Renamed Arcane Swordskills

-----
Beowulf
-----
-All Ability animations swapped with Mystic

-----
Balthier
-----
-Plunder Heart Kept
-Plunder EXP Kept
-Plunder Spell {Cancels any ability currently in charge}
-Plunder Cynicism {Gives Faith}
-Plunder Devotion {Removes Faith}

-----
Cloud
-----
-Charge times reduced
-Materia Blade DMG up

End.

The intention was to make the game the way I wish it was when I was growing up.  Let me know what you think!  Let me know if you find any bugs too!
  • Modding version: WotL

C1REX

I really like what you did.
I also wanted to change the game to what I think some small things should be.

I like how you swapped abilities so for example Knight is a short range heavy hitter with armour. I also like how some jobs have only 1 weapon option. This make all kind of weapons valuable.

Some cool ideas I may use for my own patch.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

bragastone11

Its for psx or psp?,  i hope this patch for psx.

Nyzer

QuoteMake sure you use a clean EUR ISO, you know, the one that everyone uses for Eternal's Slowdown PPF.

:? Isn't that the one that doesn't work? I've always used USA.

QuoteIts for psx or psp?,  i hope this patch for psx.

A War of the Lions patch is not for PSX, no...

LeetMiniWheat

April 28, 2021, 09:45:05 am #4 Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:53:16 pm by LeetMiniWheat
Sorry for necro but... I wanted to test this (borrow some ideas, etc) but always get corrupt/unbootable ISO. Still able to open in FFTPatcher though.

Quote from: Stories8106 on April 12, 2017, 08:45:28 pmMake sure you use a clean EUR ISO, you know, the one that everyone uses for Eternal's Slowdown PPF.
Checksum/hash would help if anyone knows what this is (IMO all hackmods should post hash/checksum if known to not work on clean rips). Newer modders often are not familiar with old/deprecated/discouraged slowdown fix methods or the now hard-to-find ISOs used for them
It's unclear if this patch was intended for a post-patched ISO or a prepared/decrypted pre-patch ISO or some other rip because it doesn't work on any of the rips I have.

Most of the checksum threads I could find were for PSX, or replies in long threads, and I even went through Eternal's old thread with many of the old WIP patches but none seemed to work or could not find/create matching ISO.

Am I doing something wrong or is the patch corrupt (server/forum changes etc?)

These are a couple EUR rips I had on hand which don't work:
Clean ISO?:
  File: Final Fantasy Tactics - The War of the Lions [ULES00850_1.00].iso
  CRC-32: 0f7ae43c
    MD5: 4b97913c0423b879a9321febaeb4892a
  SHA-1: 5104e61a886c1fb62fae98fa3bf96e1b0c545dc6
SHA-256: bd040d417cd34810f648e0e10642fc3b52f3ec4b7ca269ea2f7e5e5a4b911704

Patched ISO? (Unknown, maybe newer slowdown fix):
File: Final Fantasy Tactics - The War of the Lions [ULES00850_1.00] (2).iso
  CRC-32: 3c5e4ba6
     MD5: 4b8813be82798c000e5bc110ff56c85a
   SHA-1: 705348778a66669bbfb121ce638e93c21ce309f5
 SHA-256: 8e08647a3607134aaf513144bfc7392014d00e8ccc78d62b802c63118491ca44

Anyways regarding this patch (which I think was originally named "Vanilla Improvement");
From what I could tell in FFTPatcher, it seems very similar to some of the changes now incorporated in Emergence, KO, and I think some in Valeria (or vice versa, not sure which ones came first) - which is why I wanted to test it out for historical purposes, as many now share the same concepts.

I like the idea of replacing Knight's Rend/Break skills since it's a huge annoyance for cheesy players that would soft reset PSX version. which PSP/WoTL doesn't have and take awile to restart game. They're also duplicates of the Crush skills (with less range. minus the missing Crush Shield, which Emergence created and another patch put on axes - which _could_ work with dualwield nerfed 1h axes but OP with endgame weapons and doesn't fit knight job either).
Rend/Break Magic(k), Speed, Power, Mind are also shorter range duplicates of Magicksap/Magic Ruin, Speedsap/Speed Ruin, Powersap/Power Ruin, and Mindsap/Mind Ruin (which some patches added to Divine Knight/(Temple Knight?) job, and some to Mechanist/Engineer), though the AI is limited on "affect stats" knowledge (i.e. calculating/remembering entire battlefield stats with prediction logic not possible, and some other quirks).
The Aim/Charge skillset mostly works on others if Action Menu for the replaced set is changed to "Aim", though doesn't appear to be recognized by the AI if using Dmg_(WP^2) weapons like guns (and maybe some others) - but works on manual control and does indeed boost gun damage.
In my limited testing doing similar swap: swords, crossbows, bows work and are utilized by AI (and maybe some others)  but various AI flagging didn't seem to get the AI to recognize others.

My original idea was to put Aim on Mustadio/Balthier, which would probably be OK since those are player-only and wouldn't need to rely on broken AI but is kind of a waste of the skillset.
But... Aim/Charge doesn't quite feel right on Knights since they can't block/evade or use reactions while charging - which only makes sense if they were a heavy hitter doublehand class, like using endgame weapons changed to Forced 2H like KO and a few others have done on such items.
Emergence had completely swapped Knight job into Archer (presumably due to skillset quirks and the hardcoding on original set - which I think has a native "Save CT" and knows not to move or they don't get a turn if still charging).
Probably not needed if only using "01 Dmg_[Weapon] PE" weapons, since the quirks are not too severe with lack of ASMs but likely has other issues as secondary skillset on another jobs. Speaking of Emergence, they seemed to over-buff archers and make Knights glass cannons (maybe originally statted for charging archers, plus the stat growth to DK(Magus); Archers DO need extra defense/HP if unable to evade/react but not with all CT0 abilities unless trying to artificially increase difficulty in an annoying way.
Sword skills on Knights wouldn't fit either (Stasis swords everywhere? Yeah.... no.). Maybe something like the Guardian job, or some sort of hybrid paladin-ish class, able to inflict defends, Immobilize, and limited healing/protecting. ("Shield Wall"? except Wall is broken without ASMs, but otherwise would work if shorter CT).

Anyhow, I'm just trying to get this patch to run mostly to get some ideas from. Too much stuff gets lost on older posts already...
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Helbram

July 06, 2021, 12:48:22 am #5 Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 01:26:58 am by Helbram Reason: Unexpected outcome
I will try this tonight, hopefully it's easier than the Emergence mod. The first Lucavi fight was bloody difficult in that patch.

Edit: This patch doesn't work, it shows corrupted iso cannot be loaded. Anyone have a working copy of the patch?
  • Modding version: WotL