• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Name Fix Patch (Final Version's out, for real this time.)

Started by Chronosplit, March 30, 2016, 05:51:55 pm

Raijinili

Ugh, it was a joke idea.

Is it possible to edit the font files and replace six of the kanji with mirror images of the entire resulting names? That would help make it readable. Words spelled backwards are more recognizable if the letters are also mirrored. (And upside-down, according to Lord Vetinari.) Such an edit isn't just a simple text patch, though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Chronosplit

Yeah, you're right about that (it's doable for KO though).

That is an interesting take, but it depends on what comes out. 

An alternate idea would be to simply switch the words the other way around, and give Ashura... not sure yet (revert it back to Asura?).  A way of shifting the perspective, so to speak.  Would probably look similar to this:

Heaven Thunder>Thunder Heaven
Ashura>Asura (?)
Diamond Blade>Blade Diamond
Hydragon Pit>Pit Hydragon
Space Storage>Storage Space
Sky Demon>Demon Sky
  • Modding version: PSX

Raijinili

That looks weird and awkward.

Space Storage may need to be changed regardless. My impression is that it's a "Store" like a library stores books, or Gilgamesh stores treasures.

Chronosplit

April 03, 2017, 07:58:39 am #43 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:29:20 pm by Chronosplit
Point taken.

I actually agree with you.  I try to keep the Woolseyisms intact where possible (Swordskills etc.), but I always thought Space Storage was weird sounding.  Strange thing is that it doesn't appear to be directly made up.  WOTL had Celestial/Corporeal Void and while that's certainly better sounding, it is actually a container of some sort.  We'll probably need to do another "Polaris Strike" for it.

Another thing is that Diamond Blade should be Adamantite like the FFIV armor.  Certainly doable (and actually should be because Diamond Swords are actual items, which is why it went into Blade for distinction), but the things you can do with it for Un-Truth are lesser than Heaven Thunder.

Chronosplit

April 03, 2017, 06:51:07 pm #44 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:31:30 pm by Chronosplit
OK, here's another thing I got.  Change the first word in every skill to the opposite.  Instead of Hell/Nether this uses an opposite and/or a "disproval" of the truth.  We're talking philosophies and mantras here, so it would be sort of like "this is wrong, it is  _."  Still working on this, but so far:

Heaven Thunder>Hell/Earth Thunder (with the new focus, both mean just the same thing.  Perhaps Earth is better, in that it is disproving the heavens instead of opposite.)
Ashura> I got nothing.  Being one word makes this hard.
Adamantite Sword>Paper/Wooden Sword (Some weak material)
Hydragon Pit>Hydrogen Pit/Watersnake Pit? (I don't see Firedragon working here as they're both water, but I always saw Hydragon as a play on words.)
Celestial Void>Corporeal Void (I bend.  Needs two words, it's better than what we have and it already follows the theme.  I'm all in with it in this case.)
Sky Demon>Ground Demon (Underground is too long.  Bonus point though: the quote makes it sound convincing.)

Raijinili

Point: If you're going to do that, it's the same as the WotL translation, so you might as well use that. But "Hell Roar/Rumble" might work better than "Earth Thunder".

Options I see:
1. Stick close to the original, with a few fixes.
2. "Un-". UnHeavenThunder, if space is a problem.
3. Reverse or mirror.
4. WotL with a few changes.
5. Retranslation based on Buddhist theme, and then apply 2 or 3.
6. I don't remember.

For space:
Thunder => Clap
Space Storage => Space/Void Store/Vault/Cache
Hydragon => Hydra

"Hydragon Pit" is something like Watermill Dragon Cave. Not sure how that works. It's the only one I haven't found a Buddhist connection for.

Buddhist-themed names:
- Dundubhi Clap
- Asura Fire ("Ashura" is more of a Japanese spelling, I believe.)
- Akasa Vault
- ??
- Vajra Sword ("Vajra" also means "diamond".)
- ??

Sky Demon (天魔鬼神) might actually be "tenma/kishin" rather than "tenma kishin". I need someone to read the Chinese here:
http://ntireader.org/taisho/t0980_01.html
Quote爾時世尊為末世一切眾生故。現五種光明。 從頂上放火光。照三界所有惡魔鬼神等不 信佛教者。同時悉焚燒。金剛手菩薩見是相
已。白世尊言。如來智火被燒所有天魔鬼神 於眾生生害者。悉恐怖不得安樂。欲說何法。 唯願如來演說。爾時大毘盧遮那佛告金剛
手菩薩言。有明王名大勝佛頂心呪。誦一遍 所求滿足。十方諸佛中最勝明王。若有金剛 子。誦滿五萬遍。一切諸佛大菩薩天龍天女
眾。晝夜共守護令成所願。爾時如來說明曰。

Chronosplit

April 04, 2017, 10:21:52 am #46 Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:23:12 pm by Chronosplit
1. Definitely possible, that's mostly it for Truth.  Un-Truth is the hard point though, it'd probably end up #2 by the time it's done as the "Back" parts used shortened names for a reason.
2. Still keeping this open.  This is likely it.
3. The results are actually pretty good, but I fear readability issues.
4. I've been liking this more and more because it gives no trouble text-wise, but it'd be more like WOTL with less Hell/Nether (though it would be kept in Heaven Thunder and Ashura at least).
5. Now that is really cool and I love it.  However given the patch's point I don't think this is the right direction to go.  Putting it in the FAQ for in case anyone wants to edit the .ffttext files might be nice however.  I may end up using Vajra Sword either way though, because of it's sandskrit meaning fitting in better than diamond (if not it'll be Adamantite).

Space Storage I think is supposed to be referencing The Void, which is something that somewhat exists throughout all the worlds.  Often it's different from space.  One could almost reference FFV in this case (it is often done when The Void is mentioned in the same game as a fake Excalibur, one wonders if Gilgamesh was planned but scrapped...) but text limits kinda prevent that.  So basically, Void is more in the right direction.  Void Cache or even Pocket (can be a double meaning; a pocket of void and as in pocket dimension or pocket universe) sounds most appropriate to me.

(Here's something interesting to deal with water dragons though: Vritra.  The dragon blocking rivers, slain by Indra using Vajra.  Maybe?)

Raijinili

Quote from: Chronosplit on April 04, 2017, 10:21:52 amthough it would be kept in Heaven Thunder and Ashura at least

I'd prefer Asura, because that's how we romanize the Sanskrit. Though it must be noted that the skill uses the same kanji as the Samurai skill.

QuoteSpace Storage I think is supposed to be referencing The Void, which is something that somewhat exists throughout all the worlds.  Often it's different from space.  One could almost reference FFV in this case (it is often done when The Void is mentioned in the same game as a fake Excalibur, one wonders if Gilgamesh was planned but scrapped...) but text limits kinda prevent that.  So basically, Void is more in the right direction.  Void Cache or even Pocket (can be a double meaning; a pocket of void and as in pocket dimension or pocket universe) sounds most appropriate to me.

While Diamond Sword isn't a term (that I can find), Heaven Thunder is a full name, and Space Storage uses a full name plus one character. Akasagarbha Bodhisattva is Kokūzō Bosatsu, while Space Storage is Dai Kokūzō ("Great/Big Akasagarbha"). Wikipedia page: 'His name can be translated as "boundless space treasury" or "void store" as his wisdom is said to be boundless as space itself.'

Quote(Here's something interesting to deal with water dragons though: Vritra.  The dragon blocking rivers, slain by Indra using Vajra.  Maybe?)

Vritra looks to be exclusively Hindu (but see this), while Vajra also appears in Buddhism, not always in connection to Indra. It's possible that the names are Hindu-themed rather than Buddhist-themed.

Timbo

Here's what I would use:

Heavenly Thunder - Infernal Thunder
Ashura - Nether Ashura
Adamantine Blade - Nether Blade
Maelstrom - Nether Maelstrom
Celestial Void - Corporeal Void
Divinity - Impiety

The thing is that these abilities feel like they desperately need embellishment and localization, so phrases like "space storage" and "hydragon pit" sound like wonky nonsense. I went over this a dozen times before I finally just said fuck it and decided the best thing is a compromise between the literal, vanilla, and WotL translations.
  • Discord username: Timbo

Chronosplit

Quote from: Raijinili on April 04, 2017, 04:24:31 pm
Vritra looks to be exclusively Hindu (but see this), while Vajra also appears in Buddhism, not always in connection to Indra. It's possible that the names are Hindu-themed rather than Buddhist-themed.
I'm thinking Buddhism would be the most likely choice between the two.

Hey, for Sky Demon.  What about Mara?

Quote from: Timbo on April 05, 2017, 01:24:08 am
The thing is that these abilities feel like they desperately need embellishment and localization, so phrases like "space storage" and "hydragon pit" sound like wonky nonsense. I went over this a dozen times before I finally just said fuck it and decided the best thing is a compromise between the literal, vanilla, and WotL translations.
After a while, I'm thinking that ultimately you're correct in that more and more of the terms are like Blastar Punch.  There's just no other way around it but either an (almost) complete redo or a compromise.

I've got an idea starting to form, but I want to see if we can complete the Buddhism angle first.

Timbo

Here are my choices for the other controversial skill names. I'm sure they aren't all winners, but this is what I came up with:

Note: Again, I don't speak japanese and I'm not qualified to translate but I am qualified to localize a translation. Localization is important because language isn't simple and cultures can't always translate. When trying to choose between sword and blade or punch and strike  I go with whatever sounds best. I shoot for assonance and consonance whenever possible.

Spinning Fist
Pummeling Fist
Wave Fist
Earth Slash
Death Touch (Secret Hole Fist probably refers to punching the Death point in qigong internal healing also known as dim mak or Death Touch as it's referred to by westerners.
Purify (Stigma probably better translates to stoma which means opening so pore surgury is probably accurate, which is probably their phrase qigong healing but seriously it's not worth it. Purify or Purification if you want to be WotL is probably all you need)
Chakra
Revive

Pitfall
Torrent
Hell's Ivy
Engrave
Tremor
Wind Slash
Will-o'-the-Wisp (I believe the whole damn thing fits because of the whole demon thing and it referring to the same phenominon)
Bottomless Bog or Peat Bog
Sandstorm
Snowstorm
Gusty Wind
Lava Ball

Unwavering Blade (Stasis Sword is very iconic though and it works just fine)
Life-Severing Strike
orth Star Strike
Lightning Thust (stab is more iconic but its goofy sounding)
Holy Explosion (Holy Explosive Break sounds cool but I don't think it fits)

Shellbust Thrust (Armorbreak Thrust might fit but bust and thrust has assonance)
Starburst Strike
Hellscream Strike (scream and strike have consonance)
Biting Icewolf Break (or unchanged if you kept Stasis Sword)

Dark Holy (because Unholy, Unholy Darkness, Darkness, Profane, etc. all sound less cool and fail to capture the fact that this is a bizzaro version of the Holy spell, which if you ask me is the intention of the spell)
Magic Barrier or Barrier (Aegis as a spell is not very Final Fantasy)
  • Discord username: Timbo

Chronosplit

April 05, 2017, 05:43:44 pm #51 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:40:02 pm by Chronosplit
Quote from: Timbo on April 05, 2017, 03:07:08 pm
Here are my choices for the other controversial skill names. I'm sure they aren't all winners, but this is what I came up with:

Note: Again, I don't speak japanese and I'm not qualified to translate but I am qualified to localize a translation. Localization is important because language isn't simple and cultures can't always translate. When trying to choose between sword and blade or punch and strike  I go with whatever sounds best. I shoot for assonance and consonance whenever possible.

Agreed.

QuoteSpinning Fist
Pummeling Fist
Wave Fist
Earth Slash
Death Touch (Secret Hole Fist probably refers to punching the Death point in qigong internal healing also known as dim mak or Death Touch as it's referred to by westerners.
Purify (Stigma probably better translates to stoma which means opening so pore surgury is probably accurate, which is probably their phrase qigong healing but seriously it's not worth it. Purify or Purification if you want to be WotL is probably all you need)
Chakra
Revive

I like this, but I'd probably put Earth Slash into Earth Render; that's about how they run with it in other Tactics games (No, Wave Fist =/= Air Render, it would be Far Fist actually but Wave fits better in this case due to Far Fist not having the same effects.).  Interesting, I didn't know that about Secret Fist.  I almost actually used Holy Sign from FFTA for Stigma Magic because it's about the same deal but not quite.  Purify fits better because it runs about the same point as Cleanse.

QuotePitfall
Torrent
Hell's Ivy
Engrave
Tremor
Wind Slash
Will-o'-the-Wisp (I believe the whole damn thing fits because of the whole demon thing and it referring to the same phenominon)
Bottomless Bog or Peat Bog
Sandstorm
Snowstorm
Gusty Wind
Lava Ball

The font doesn't like me using ' for one reason or another in names, it results in the whole "o' Wisp" part looking weird in my eyes.  Ignus Fatuus ends up meaning the same thing and moves around the whole text thing plus worry over terrain description line length (will need to check with Bottomless Bog), but I'll have to look at that way of spelling it and see how it looks.  Hell's Ivy would also be Tanglevine as it's been recent FF for a while now and I'll have to crosscheck for other Geomancer things (which aren't many).  I agree with these in general though.  The Bog especially needed an update.

QuoteUnwavering Blade (Stasis Sword is very iconic though and it works just fine)
Life-Severing Strike
North Star Strike

Yeah Stasis Sword is staying, even if I didn't keep Steady Sword.  I'm usually on the fence about wholly replacing Swordskills as it's part of the feel of the original translation in a way (you could call it charm), but I mostly like what I'm reading here.  Life-Severing Strike is too long though (Life-Split perhaps?), and since I did North Star as one word in Altered I'll probably do the same here.

QuoteShellbust Thrust (Armorbreak Thrust might fit but bust and thrust has assonance)
Starburst Strike

Hmm... Shellbust Stab is almost iconic enough to keep by itself (then again, that could be just me playing ToME addon classes), but the small edit has it nicely done and I like the flow.  Polaris is a way more liberal take than Starburst, but I feel like Divine Knights need something Astrology related.  It's about even.  Icewolf Bite is staying.  Hellscream is brilliant.

QuoteDark Holy (because Unholy, Unholy Darkness, Darkness, Profane, etc. all sound less cool and fail to capture the fact that this is a bizzaro version of the Holy spell, which if you ask me is the intention of the spell)
Magic Barrier or Barrier (Aegis as a spell is not very Final Fantasy)

Dark Holy was unchanged, I agree.  Whoo!

Aegis I stole from WOTL.  You're correct, I'll probably change that to Magic Barrier (or Membrane?  Nah, Magic Barrier is better.  Why did they use MBarrier again?)

Stuff I'm considering so far, I took a look over of enemy abilities while I was around and realized some stuff the second go:
Spin Fist>Spinning Fist
Repeating Fist>Pummeling Fist
Earth Slash>Earth Render
Secret Fist>Death Touch
Stigma Magic>Purify
Sinkhole>Pitfall (According to FFVI this can also be Snare but I don't think they're the same thing, heck in some translation patches it's Pitfall.)
Contortion>Engrave
Quicksand>Bottomless Bog (testing)
Wind Blast>Gust (FFV)
Magma Surge>Lava Ball

Phantom>Esper (Because Phantom is supposed to be Phantom Beast which is Esper.)

Spin Punch>Whirlwind (The other FF spinning punching thing.  Makes it more different from Spinning Fist.)
Swing Down>Pickaxe
Wave Around>Pickaxe Spin
Shine Lover>Shiny! (Unless you think this is dumb.)
Scratch Up>Talon Scratch

Platina>Platinum in general (Why did they do this again?)
Adaman Vest>Adamant Vest
Hidden Knife>Hidden Edge (The idea here is to differentiate these slightly from actual Knives, same reason as Poles.)
Spell Edge>Spellbinder
Sasuke Knife>Sasuke Edge
Iga Knife>Iga Edge
Koga Knife>Koga Edge
-Due to this large amount of change to them, Altered will no longer have original Ninja stuff names.

Swordskills and others are still in the oven, expect changes (But not for anything else in Altered).

Raijinili

QuoteHey, for Sky Demon.  What about Mara?

I'm still holding out hope for someone to come along and read the Chinese.

Heaven & Hell / Hell & Heaven?

QuoteSpinning Fist
Pummeling Fist
Wave Fist
Earth Slash
Chakra
Revive

"Hadouken" is often translated as "Wave Motion Fist/Punch", while Wave Fist is "Hadougeki", so it can be translated as "Wave Motion Strike" (波動). Other Fist abilities (Spin, Repeating, Secret) use "ken" (拳).

Secret Fist is Hikou Ken (秘孔拳), which the Fist of the North Star wikia translates as "Hidden Points".

QuoteUnwavering Blade (Stasis Sword is very iconic though and it works just fine)
Life-Severing Strike
orth Star Strike

Shellbust Thrust (Armorbreak Thrust might fit but bust and thrust has assonance)
Starburst Strike

Swordskill Japanese names:

不動無明剣 - Stasis Sword
乱命割殺打 - Split Punch
北斗骨砕打 - Crush Punch (North Star Crushing Strike)
無双稲妻突き - Lightning Stab
聖光爆裂破 - Holy Explosion

強甲破点突き - Shellbust Stab
星天爆撃打 - Blastar Punch (Star[ry] Heaven Bomb Strike)
冥界恐叫打 - Hellcry Punch
咬撃氷狼破 - Icewolf Bite (no "strike")

暗の剣 - Dark Sword
闇の剣 - Night Sword

剣 - Sword
打 - Punch (Strike, Hit, Beat, Dial (a phone number))
突き - Stab (tsuki)

IMO, a conservative name fix should skew close to the original names, so that they're recognizable for gameplay purposes. Polaris Strike for Blastar Punch isn't very close. Starburst Strike kinda works, but I'm not sure of the accuracy, and it's close to "Shellbust Stab". Starbomb Strike (width=64) may be accurate.

"Stasis Sword", to me, looks like "Sword that causes stillness" (Steadying Sword), rather than "Sword that is still" (Steady Sword). It inflicts Stop, too.

"Polaris" is more accurately attached to Crush Punch. "Polaris Crush"?

What's wrong with Blastar anyway? It's punny.

QuoteAegis I stole from WOTL.  You're correct, I'll probably change that to Magic Barrier (or Membrane?  Nah, Magic Barrier is better.  Why did they use MBarrier again?)

It's "MABARIA" in katanaka (マバリア). I assume it's a pun. FF7 translated it as MBarrier.

QuoteThe font doesn't like me using ' for one reason or another in names

I know that the ' is too wide (4 pixels instead of 2). This was fixed in WotL.

Chronosplit

April 06, 2017, 10:28:57 am #53 Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:32:13 pm by Chronosplit
Quote"Hadouken" is often translated as "Wave Motion Fist/Punch", while Wave Fist is "Hadougeki", so it can be translated as "Wave Motion Strike" (波動撃). Other Fist abilities (Spin, Repeating, Secret) use "ken" (拳).

I think I'm going to lean on "close enough" here.  The original captures it alright IMO.

QuoteSecret Fist is Hikou Ken (秘孔拳), which the Fist of the North Star wikia translates as "Hidden Points".

I'm perfectly good with Death Touch, considering it causes (eventual) death this fits well.  Fist of the North Star is a pretty awesome reference that plenty would appreciate though, and if you wanted buddies with Hamedo (I want to keep that as long as I can get away with it because it turns out to be a pretty neat trick, though if I'm honest with myself with Blade Grasp I should probably be using First Strike) there are a couple of options there.

QuoteIMO, a conservative name fix should skew close to the original names, so that they're recognizable for gameplay purposes.

This is true, but when it comes to the Woolseyisms occasionally sacrifices need to be made.  With Life-Severing perhaps a synonym for both Split and Sever, or Splitting would probably work.

Stasis Sword is perfectly fine, especially since Dark Sword and Night Sword will still be around.

QuoteWhat's wrong with Blastar anyway? It's Punny.

It's punderful, but also not the best of puns.  When I was younger I got Hydragon but not Blastar.  A really conservative way to the translation is Blackstar but that demolishes the point.  So we're talking stars in mostly Divine Knight skills, and Starry Heaven is shared both by that and Olan's skillset.  An astrology reference can connect the three, and Polaris is a pretty evil star while also known as the lord of the heavens.

While the analogy fits it's not the best idea though, yeah I should probably change it.  However, considering we're talking about the only swordskill that causes Death it is a possibility for replacing Northstar.  I have Northstar already used in Altered anyway.

QuoteStarburst Strike

"Taste the rainbow... Starburst Strike!"  Sorry, had to.

QuoteI know that the ' is too wide (4 pixels instead of 2). This was fixed in WotL.

That explains it.  So basically if I'm to use one of those buggers I need to use it instead of a space and hope for the best.  That wouldn't work for hyphens either way, oh well.  Ignnus Fatuus is staying then.

Chronosplit

April 06, 2017, 02:13:38 pm #54 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:28:58 am by Chronosplit
OK so, Un-Truth.  This will be the placemark, if something better gets completed only Altered will be using this.  It's basically a melding of mine and Timbo's, furthermore a melding of the original and WOTL.  They actually look really good on the menus, so that's a plus right off the bat.

Heavenly Thunder>Infernal Thunder
Ashura>Hellish Ashura
Adamantine Sword>Hellish Sword (About my earlier mention of Adamantitite, I was wrong, it refers to Adamantine which means unbreakable.  Adamantite is harder than Diamond in FF but still breakable.  That would mean perhaps the Un-Truth version could be made of  metal, but it's best to stay on track here.)
Hydra Maelstrom>Hyudra Maelstrom (Use of the monster catalog here to meld together the original and WOTL, can also just go Maelstrom/Hellish Maelstrom.)
Celestial Void>Corporeal Void
Sky Demon>Infernal Demon (Nope, no Divinity.)

Hellish can be Infernal or Nether, but I feel like Nether loses it's place a little when the job name isn't Netherseer. *shrug*

And (so far), the Swordskills:
Split Strike>Splitting Strike
Crush Strike>Polaris Strike
Lightning Stab>Lightning Thrust
Shellbust Stab>Shellbust Thrust
Polaris Strike>Starbomb Strike
Hellcry Strike>Hellscream Strike

Next version is almost done, I want to see if something can be done with bags (not much can tbh), and then it goes out.
EDIT: Not really (like, anything I can think of goes over and is completely fabricated), I'm just going to go ahead and patch, something else comes up I'll update.  A good few unused (for now) ideas are going in the FAQ though.
EDIT 2: And it's up.

Raijinili

Quoteif you wanted buddies with Hamedo

I read a fun theory that Hamedoru means "Do as [Mu]hammad [Ali]".

QuoteAn astrology reference can connect the three, and Polaris is a pretty evil star while also known as the lord of the heavens.

While the analogy fits it's not the best idea though, yeah I should probably change it.  However, considering we're talking about the only swordskill that causes Death it is a possibility for replacing Northstar.  I have Northstar already used in Altered anyway.

I have a real objection to Polaris. Polaris (the North Star) really does appear in Crush Punch.

QuoteAdamantine Sword>Hellish Sword

Brimstone Sword. Though that's late Christian mythology rather than Buddhist. "Hellish" is kinda weird to me in general.

QuoteCrush Strike>Polaris Strike

I prefer "Polaris Crush" for gameplay recognizability.

Chronosplit

April 07, 2017, 02:21:33 pm #56 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:43:19 pm by Chronosplit
Quote from: Raijinili on April 07, 2017, 02:13:44 pm
Brimstone Sword. Though that's late Christian mythology rather than Buddhist. "Hellish" is kinda weird to me in general.

I prefer "Polaris Crush" for gameplay recognizability.

Will do, kinda want to look at bags and monster skills little more beforehand though (I don't think there's much more to change in monsters though).

Hellish on Ashura can be replaced by Infernal.  It's the only one case after Brimstone.

EDIT: Oh, then I realized I left Sword as Blade in untruth on one patch... guess that hotfix is coming out soon!
EDIT 2: That's up.

Raijinili

A friend found me a convincing translation for the "tenma" part of Sky Demon. The Chinese Wikipedia page for Tenma is linked to the English Wikipedia page for Mara. The English page also has the Chinese name.

There's also a Japanese page for "tenma", which links to a different Chinese page (第六天魔王)

Wiktionary says the Kishin part is "guishen" in Chinese, meaning "ghost" or "spirit". (The Japanese term means "fierce god", which might be because of Nobunaga or I'm just talking out of my ass.)

Possible translation: Mara Demon/Ghost/Spirit.
My problem with it is, it looks like "Mara" is referring to a place (like "Hell" or "Hades").

Still don't have anything for Hydragon Pit.

Chronosplit

Hmm... I'm thinking Mara's the closest we're ever going to get.  Spirit ties in with the quote.

The only thing I can think of that's even close to Hydragon is stuff about waterfall meditation.

Raijinili

Hey, wanna properly transcribe the Apocalypse Now quotes?

I found out through this video that the Deep Dungeons are based on Apocalypse Now, and through Wikia that they have descriptions which look like quotes from the movie.

The descriptions are found under Menu/Options Help, in "WLDHELP.LZW/3. Menu/Options Help", items 144-153.

HORROR's in-game description:
QuoteIt's impossible to describe horror. But one may be able to know it if one tells quietly...

Movie quote from WikiQuote:
QuoteIt's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means.