• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:24:10 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Equipment in Mercenaries COMPLETE!!! (Check first post!)

Started by LastingDawn, April 10, 2009, 04:49:22 am

LastingDawn

April 22, 2009, 02:25:37 am #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Thank you for all the ideas everyone, I do apologize for not being around, I've come down with the flu and I find it very difficult to actually "work" with the ailment. Though once I fully recover to tip top shape, I'll make a lot of notes of the many changes I've made thanks to these suggestions.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

boomkick

April 22, 2009, 10:51:44 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Mercenary Set

Mercenary Helm- Helm fit for a mercenary
+80 HP
+25 MP
PA +1
MA +1

Mercenary Plate- Armor fit for a mercenary
+90 HP
+20 MP
PA +1
MA +1

Mercenary Blade- Blade with the strength of the mercenary.
WP= 13
W Ev.= 25%
25% chance for an extra strike.

Mercenary Shield- Guards the mercenary from danger.
Always Defend

Mercenary Ribbon- Grants the mercenary great luck.
PA +1
MA +1
Cancel Slow, Haste.

PX_Timefordeath

April 22, 2009, 11:26:31 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Red Ribbon - This can only be found by playing normal mode.
Initial: Reraise
+100 HP

LastingDawn

April 23, 2009, 03:21:13 am #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Pretty substantial update on the first post, will get to the rest of the ideas here tommorow.

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

April 23, 2009, 09:50:41 am #44 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Wave Helm (play on a tranlation of the word ronin as wave man, or one who comes and goes like the tide)
HP: 100
MP: 0
Immune: Sleep, Addle, Confuse

Wave Armor
Half: Wind, Water, Earth

Nameless Sword (Katana)
WP: 18
PA +1, MA +1, SP +1
Strengthen: Wind, Water, Earth

Ribbon ideas
here are ideas for two ribbon items, both assume that Alma's role as the vessel for the Virgo stone remains unchanged in mercenaries, resulting in her becoming a target of the shrine knights, though the exact circumstances of how it plays out will no doubt be much different.

Ribbon (Ribbon) *note* this is worn by alma when she appears in battle as a guest, it should not be obtainable
A purple silk ribbon given to Alma by Teta, it is her most cherished possession
Immune: Charm, Addle, Confusion
Always: Faith, Shell

Ribbon II (Ribbon) *note* this is a special accessory only wearable by ramza's ultimate job, like the Javelin II, the "II" is not an actual part of the item name
torn silk ribbon, it was Alma's favorite
Immune: Dead, Death Sentence, Petrify, Charm, Confusion, Addle, Blood Suck
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

LastingDawn

April 23, 2009, 02:29:25 pm #45 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
PXTimeforDeath Wrote...

QuoteFlame Armor - It's so hot, you won't know what you're hitting!
Always: Haste, Berserk

If we relieve it of much of any HP or MP gain I could see it getting by with that.
QuoteAA Lionheart - Sword forged for an ancient warrior, it's power is fit for only one. (Ramza Hessain Only)
+3 PA
+2 MA
+100 HP
Initial Protect

Eh heh... I'm not sure I want to go this route just yet, Also I can't really put HP onto a sword, or maybe I can... if I could though I don't think it would have WP though.

QuoteAB Valkyrie - Sword/Rapier forged for an ancient sorceress, it's power is fit for only one. (Red Mage Rad)
+3 MA
+2 PA
+50 MP
Initial Shell

The same applies here.
-----------------------------
QuoteC8 Rich Robe 50 10 5000 3
Quite ordinary... also the HP bonus is actually very large for a robe, so while ordinary it is unique in it's amount of HP... it will be considered.

QuoteC9 Soft Robe 20 18 3200 5 Block: Petrify
This is an interesting piece,if I can find a way to implement it, I will.

QuoteCB Chameleon Robe 40 28 7000 (16) Initial: Transparent, Half: Holy
Haha! That's creative, certainly to be considered.

QuoteCC Holy Robe 45 32 9000 26 Half: Fire, Lightning, Ice, Strengthen: Holy

Hmm, I'm not sure I like the idea of halfing a lot of elements in that manner...

QuoteCD Black Robe 60 45 10000 31 MA + 1
Not sure I like this idea too much.. It doesn't sit right with me for some reason...

QuoteCE Judo Robe 100 20 36500 38 PA + 2

This is an idea I can get behind! Of course it's HP will be chopped in half, if not more.
----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteFlame shield - It's like putting your hand in the oven without a mitt!
PA + 2, Berserk, Initial Haste

Flame Helm - And there goes your hair...
HP + 45, Berserk, Initial Haste

Both very interesting concepts... but they both do the same thing. Also the Wolf's Helm already Berserks. Not sure how much I want to use that concept for... Berserk, along with confusion is a rather iffy status.
----------------------------------------------------

QuoteEnchanted Amulet - It's not really what you think it is...
Initial: Sleep, Addle, Don't Move, Poison
Always: Slow
Move +2
Jump +2
PA +1
MA +1

Always slow in this case is Far too much, especially with what you stumble into battle with, I'd say though it too similarly resembles the Cursed Ring in it's execution though, in terms of bonuses it gives.
-------------------------------------------------------

QuoteRed Ribbon - This can only be found by playing normal mode.
Initial: Reraise
+100 HP

Normal... mode?
BeawulfX wrote...
QuoteMy simple addition; I think a piece of armor that adds initial: shell, and has MA +1 with a decent MP bonus and a smaller HP bonus would be a cool idea. It would be a way to better integrate a physical/magical character hybrid. Like a Knight could equip it and have a bit better usage of magic and such. Maybe even remove the initial shell if too good, but I definitely like the idea of a sort of 'Mage Armor' and I think it would make for some interesting uses

Very true. It does have some good potential.I'll see what Armor's are left for such.
Sephirot24 wrote...

QuoteThere has to be a balance for items with good status... but if you're gonna nerf every item with some good status with poison / slow / or whatever it prolly will see little use (specially in this case, where items have so low HP / MP bonus). I like the mix of good and bad status a la Cursed Ring though. IMO that'd had to be implemented on powerful / very useful items.. but not in the majority of them.

I also like seeing many Initial effects. Quite innovative!

Ah, well I do believe in balance, but for Armor that is normally dealt with in lower then normal HP gain or higher then normal HP gains. For instance... the Slow Set...

This set consists of...

Obelisk (the most powerful spear, but has Always: Slow on it)
Bulky Armor (Excellent HP gain for that point in the game, has Always:Slow on it)
Giant's Helm (Read Above)
Heavy Ring (Always Protect, Always Slow)

This whole set together makes one a fantastic tank. especially if they're a Knight, even with just one piece of this set, Ironclad is already giving Protect and Regen for free. Also to offset slow you can mix in a bit of the Speed set for that. Believe me, the balances are being taken into careful consideration.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteWhisperer's cloak - Listen to the wind..
Cancel: silence.
Null: Wind.
P.Ev: 15
M.Ev: 25
MA +1

This is a very interesting idea... also I've not made it very clear, but the Wind Element has been replaced for the Cure Element, but the Cure Element as being immune to, eh...? That is a rather fascinating idea. Also the "whisperer" in Ivalician lore then would be Shemhazai, oh great way to add her! Great idea!

QuoteFury ring - Rush blindly and bravely into battle!
Initial: Haste.
Always: Blind, Berserk.
Cancel: Charm.
PA+2

Blind AND Berserk makes one almost unable to focus on a target, the +2 PA is nice but... I'll have to think about this one.

QuoteOracle's robe - Said to be worn by ancient magicians.
Cancel: Addle, Sleep.
HP+25
MP+55

Ah Oracle... I always like the throwback to the classic classes, I'll see if this can be fit in anywhere.

QuoteWolf Pelts (it's supposed to be clothes) - Worn only by true hunters.
Always: Innocent.
Null: Earth
PA+2
HP+40
This looks good with the Wolf's Helm, though in that respect... that should probably be a hat. Nice addition to the set. Though as mentioned Innocent is a powerful status, though nowhere near as powerful as it once was. The Grimiore's of the Invoker's bypass that completely, but Always:Prayer then sounds appropriate with it, as per PX's idea.

QuoteChocobo's vest - Stuffed with yellow feathers, it keeps you warm in cold winters. It's also very light.
Halve: Ice
SP+1
HP+15
MP+5
Hmm... not sure what it is about it, but I just don't like this one for some reason.

QuoteAssassin's Cloak - Made with a secret fabric, from an extinct monster.
Initial: transparent.
Cancel: Death sentence.
P.Ev: 30
M.Ev: 10
Death Sentence is... odd, but nothing to be "Canceled", with so very few spells available to cast it. I think the Cloak of Shadow's might fit better here.
QuoteCobra's Head - Shield shaped after an evil creature.
Weak: Ice
Cancel: poison, blind.
Halve: dark.
P.EV: 15
M.EV: 20

Creative! This is a good idea!

QuotePurifier Armor - It's said to have Holy properties.
Absorb: Fire.
Strengthen: Holy.
Weak: Dark.
HP+30
MP+30

Platina Armor kind of takes the part of "Holy Set" so to speak
************************************************************************************************
Boomkick wrote...
QuoteLD, if possible, could you send me what items you have already placed and what their effects SHOULD be from this list, i want to know (since the description in game doesn't say) and maybe give more suggestions based off that information.

EDIT: NEW ITEM IDEA

Strange Cloak- My St. Ajora, whoever thought of this item is a ****ing idiot!
HP: 0
Move+5
Jump+5
Initial- Dead
Always- Undead, Poison.

It is really... a bit absurd, heh... I can't see that realistically making it in.
--------------------------------------------------
QuoteMercenary Set

QuoteMercenary Helm- Helm fit for a mercenary
+80 HP
+25 MP
PA +1
MA +1

That's a bit... much, it's extremely powerful and gives bonuses. Also I'm not too fond of that niche in all honesty.

QuoteMercenary Plate- Armor fit for a mercenary
+90 HP
+20 MP
PA +1
MA +1
The same applies here, just too much, for no draw backs.

QuoteMercenary Blade- Blade with the strength of the mercenary.
WP= 13
W Ev.= 25%
25% chance for an extra strike.
That would make it the same as a dagger, though that in itself is interesting for a sword... this goes without saying though that 13 WP is too much though.

QuoteMercenary Shield- Guards the mercenary from danger.
Always Defend

Always Defend sort of takes away one of the large points of... Warder, as it stands.

QuoteMercenary Ribbon- Grants the mercenary great luck.
PA +1
MA +1
Cancel Slow, Haste.

I like this item, creative and very useful at the same time. It's name will be changed though.
**************************************************************************************
Skip Sandwich wrote...

QuoteBarbuta --> Horned Helm
intimidating helm favored by bandits
HP: 30
Cancel: Blind
PA +1

In terms this too much resembles the Headgear and Cap, it's basically a combination of those two, I'm not too fond of that idea...
---------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteWave Helm (play on a tranlation of the word ronin as wave man, or one who comes and goes like the tide)
Immune: Sleep, Addle, Confuse

Lower the HP by half and that seems acceptable.

QuoteWave Armor
Half: Wind, Water, Earth

Since Wind Element = Cure Element... I am to say that 80 HP would fit it well. Water and Earth half is good as well.

QuoteNameless Sword (Katana)
WP: 18
PA +1, MA +1, SP +1
Strengthen: Wind, Water, Earth

Ah Katana's... unfortunately there's no room for such items as those anymore. It's a nice concept, but the Sword just doesn't work for that reason. Though if it were to make it in by any means it's bonuses would be lessened, or an ill effect placed on it, or Absurdly low WP, to keep the bonuses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
QuoteRibbon ideas
here are ideas for two ribbon items, both assume that Alma's role as the vessel for the Virgo stone remains unchanged in mercenaries, resulting in her becoming a target of the shrine knights, though the exact circumstances of how it plays out will no doubt be much different.

Eh heh... well that's not quite how it goes in Mercenaries... Alma's role isn't as significant, in fact she's not even mentioned till the mercenary troupe is pushed to a point. Ramza suggest that they visit his sister, now married to the prestigious Bishop Kanbabrif.

QuoteRibbon (Ribbon) *note* this is worn by alma when she appears in battle as a guest, it should not be obtainable
A purple silk ribbon given to Alma by Teta, it is her most cherished possession
Immune: Charm, Addle, Confusion

Looks good to me, she does aid you in one fight after all.

QuoteRibbon II (Ribbon) *note* this is a special accessory only wearable by ramza's ultimate job, like the Javelin II, the "II" is not an actual part of the item name
torn silk ribbon, it was Alma's favorite
Immune: Dead, Death Sentence, Petrify, Charm, Confusion, Addle, Blood Suck
An interesting concept... but odds are it will be a bit less powerful then that.
********************************************************************************************

Thank you all for the great ideas! And the overall equipment sheet in the first page should be updated tonight as well.

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

April 23, 2009, 03:09:39 pm #46 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
well, the nameless sword is supposed to be a sort of replacement for the chaos sword in terms of power, it would definately be an END battle reward, if not from the Eldibs fight itself, and yeah, I kinnda forgot that the katana were all turned into relics, but the concept still works as a knight sword or or regular sword. But, perhaps something like this works instead?

Wave Sword [Sword]
Sword of a forign mercenary who is said to have fought with St. Ajora as a Zodiac Brave
WP: 15
Cancel: Protect, Shell, Reflect
Immune: Protect, Shell, Reflect

also glad to see that one of my ribbon ideas may make it in, i really wasn't expecting the other to get by, but it was still a cool idea.
and also, forgot that Cure is a seperate element now, thought it was holy element like in 1.3.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

LastingDawn

April 23, 2009, 03:45:18 pm #47 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Wave Sword and the description you gave it works very well! Though as addressed the highest WP of a sword currently is 8, which belongs to the Earth Sabre and the Blood Sword. Odds are this sword then will have 10 WP, because of what it's immune to of course. Though would you instead like to go the extra step? I'd say 13 WP (which would make it the most powerful weapon in the game) in exchange for the Dark Matter ailment would justify those stats.

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

April 23, 2009, 03:51:13 pm #48 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
13 wp + dark matter works for me, just remember to use a katana grapic for its menu icon and i'll be perfectly happy.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

LastingDawn

April 23, 2009, 04:04:43 pm #49 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Haha! No problem at all. I can still keep one of those around specifically for that. Unfortunately the inbattle graphic though can't look like a katana, then again... a Flail doesn't exactly look like a Rock on a Stick in it's Icon either...

Art of War

boomkick

April 23, 2009, 06:21:46 pm #50 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Looking at your updates, did you put in all the effects or are you leaving them out?

I would want to replace perfumes with that ribbon idea that i had, makes some sense, anyway. But up to u LD.

Some ideas on bullets (from ff12)

Shot- Regular old gun ammo. Nothing special.
WP 4

Poison Shot- Venom coated shot used in assassinations. Adds: Poison
WP 5

Lava Shot- a bullet lit aflame.
WP 8

Zero Shot- a bullet so cold i freezes anything on touch...except the gun. Adds: Slow
WP 4

Electro Shot- a bullet that repeatedly lets off electricity. Adds: Don't Move
WP 5

Stun Shot- a casing with a lot of pellets used to stun. Effects - CT 0
WP 3

Tracer Rounds- Use primarily to stop attacks.
WP 1
W Ev. 50%

Rare Item!!!!!
Ultima Shot- Ammo enchanted with powerful magic.
WP 7
Chance to cast (first Ultima).

EDIT:

Idea on Warder weapons. Basically they are chains, but also whips. Since Warders base themselves on defense, maybe give them a 2 range weapon made of a chains/whip. How i can explain this is that those cahins are think and bulky and can prioritize in defense and can also be cast to either attack or "strangle" people and their items/weapons.

Idea on New weapon type. Flutes. They have an auto range (Draw Out). They do very minimal damage but their strengths lie in status.

Quote19 *1Ancient Sword 9 5 5000 21 Add: Don't Move (25%)

1A *1Sleep Sword 9 5 5000 23 Add: Sleep (25%)

1C *1Diamond Sword 10 10 8000 26

Arnies 9 10 5000 21 Add: Addle

Quick Blade 9 5 5000 23 Speed +1

Gold Sword 11 5 8000 26 Absorb Lightning

PX_Timefordeath

April 23, 2009, 07:56:49 pm #51 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
The ribbon is a reference of IWBTG, you only get the ribbon by playing on Normal mode... Also, the Lionheart and Valkyrie can be secret accessories for Rad and Ramza, the idea was for them to get a super item, like Gaff.

LastingDawn

April 24, 2009, 01:55:50 pm #52 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Why do I always do that!!! Sigh... Well I just lost a long and detailed post to you Boomkick, but to summarize (because my thoughts are plainly muddled...)

I liked Electro Shot and Stun Shot, everything else really didn't suit my fancy.

If you can make the chains out of the Ninja Knife's graphic I'll be more inclined to accept it, but for now it's just difficult to imagine.

There's no such thing as a Draw Out weapon Range, though odds are I won't be able to change the sound effect on the harp weapon type, so I'll be stuck with some instrument one way or another.

Arnies is good, though what is Arnies?

I don't like any thought of a Sword with +1 speed.

Gold Sword is classic FF, and I think I have a plan to make it worthless, yet positively fantastic at the same time.

I do appreciate all of your hard work on the project though and I do apologize for the half hearted post, I honestly did have a long and detailed post in the normal style of why I liked and disliked certain ideas.

Now as for the "ultimate weapon" idea PX... that Only works for Gaffgarion because I can make it so no one else can equip the Blood Sword because Gaffgarion is never outside of battle. It can't be unequipped in any circumstance. Therefore while everyone can equip it, no one else has the Chance to equip it.

Art of War

boomkick

April 24, 2009, 06:05:39 pm #53 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
I don't know how to edit stuff like that, i either don't have the patience and i just don't know how to do it (or begin). But can it use the flail animation and just be a curved chain. Straight chain on the straight part of the flai and just a small curve on the ball side of the flail.

If anyone wants to try and make this, go right ahead. I actually would want to see how people would shape these things.

Arnies- bloodstained sword, infested with rotton blood and flesh from those who have fallen before...It...

PX_Timefordeath

April 24, 2009, 06:34:12 pm #54 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Pepper Shot: Used to anger your opponents!
WP:1 Add: Berserk

Spread Shot: It's nature to spread allows it to target multiple body parts.
WP:4 Add: Don't Act, Don't Move, Blind, Silence

LastingDawn

April 27, 2009, 04:47:51 am #55 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Substantial update on the first post, including the finalized changes for, Swords, Spell Blades, Relics, and Rods. Feel free to post any ideas or questions regarding the changes here.

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

April 27, 2009, 08:45:39 am #56 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Perfumes --> Materia
magical stones made from compressed life energy and the memories of an ancient race? I can definately see them granting some equipment bonuses to the few capable of using them in the Ivalican time period.

Red Materia- This crimson stone contains the memory of an ancient beast
PA +4, Always: Addle

Blue Materia- This deep blue stone contains the memories of an ancient tactician
MA +4, Always: Slow

White Materia- The holder of this ivory orb is filled with feelings of warmth and hope
Weak: Cure, Always: Regen

Black Materia- This ebony sphere is said to contain the ultimate magic, many mages have died trying to unlock its secrets
Always: Faith, Poison Initial: Addle  Strengthen: All except Cure + Holy, Weak: Holy  Half: Cure
"Dave?  Are you there?"

LastingDawn

April 27, 2009, 12:10:08 pm #57 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ah, thank you for getting back to the basics, I'd almost forgotten about those treasures. Those seem like fitting replacements though, Weak to Cure and Regen I find particularly well thought out, the Cure element will in fact heal them a bit more.

Though should we personalize the stones descriptions a bit more to hint towards other character's in the FF series? For instance...

Red Materia: A stone which therein lies a soul of a young and brash warrior, what he lacked in tact, he made up for in pure strength.

All of the effects, I do enjoy each one comes with another downside (Except White, but that alone isn't too fantastic anyhow) the balances and checks are perfect.

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

April 27, 2009, 12:40:42 pm #58 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
it seems we have similar thought processes for these, my initial idea for the red materia description was that it was the summon materia for Griever
"Dave?  Are you there?"

LastingDawn

April 27, 2009, 12:46:07 pm #59 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Griever from FF8, eh? Griever was definitely an odd... summon? Since he didn't really exist, and Ultimecia made him out of Squall's self personified thoughts on him, what description do you think might fit for that?

Art of War