• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

[Question] Regarding Wotl Audio

Started by RamzaB, August 08, 2016, 01:32:56 am

RamzaB

I've always been on these forums but never registered, and I really couldn't find the answer to my questions even with the search function so I thought I'd ask. I've played through FFT on ps1 and thought I would finally try Wotl, I fixed the slowdown, but coming off of PS1 FFT I cannot stand the audio in Wotl, for example when someone swipes their weapon/sword it makes a really stupid sound, nothing like PS1 FFT. Also when monsters die it sounds different. My question just really comes down to, is there a way to patch/replace audio back to the PSX version of the game?

Xifanie

We don't even have a way to edit sounds on PSX as it is. So if it is normal that the sounds effects are corrupted even after the slowdown fix is applied, I'm afraid you're out of options. I think like the slowdown, it would be a hardcoded glitch, and not a simple matter of reimporting sound files from the PSX version.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

I played WotL both before and after using the slowdown patch, and the sound there seems to be the same. But I did notice that the sounds for the PSX version can be different, too - I just thought that might have been due to the emulators I'd used. Like Xif says, it's most likely something that was hardcoded for some unknown reason.

It's been a bit jarring for me, but it's usually something I get used to pretty quick.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RamzaB

Grambottle

I definitely know what you mean in terms of the sword sound.  On the PS1 or playing it on an actual PSP, the sound is relatively the same.  When emulated, it's a strange sound that comes nowhere close to that familiar crunchy sword sound.  Gaffgarion's Shadowblade has the same issue.  It seems like an issue with lower tones.

I've just started playing WoTL with the slowdown fix applied and this is bugging me as well, so I've done some digging.

I did find this post on the PPSSPP forums.  It seems like the poster is involved with the development and he claims the sound is due to the fact that PPSSPP doesn't use sound interpolation to produce audio - it uses "nearest neighbour sampling".  I'm guessing this has been the case with other emulators as well since I've seen people make similar complaints when using another emulator.

Sound interpolation was on their to-do list in 2013 but I'm guessing still hasn't been implemented.

That's everything I know at the moment.
  • Modding version: WotL