• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Basic Question About Using EasyVent Editor

Started by JantheX, December 11, 2014, 06:55:02 pm

JantheX

I'm sorry, I know this is almost certainly a question that someone else has asked, and maybe I'm just not following something in the tutorials, but when I'm using EasyVent, every time that I go to compile an event I'm told by the ESVP popup that the Event was successfully compiled to Offset x00002000.

Am I right in thinking that's a problem?  Doesn't that mean each of my events are overwriting each other?  And if that is what's happening, I assume there's a way to stop it, but I can't figure out how.  Can someone help me out?

Jumza

Well you pretty much hit the nail on the head here, you are overwriting all of your events!

The offset at the top of the file will let you know (and allow you to change) what event spaces you are writing too. Go check out the psx events folder that evsp comes with and see which events have which offsets so that you can check what event should have which offset to go in certain places (unless you are already an Attack.out wizard, in which case you can put events wherever you want and re-arrange them :P)

Edit: Also, to replace the very first orbonne event you'll want to make that Offset(x00004000), writing over setup events won't really get you anything you want right now.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

JantheX

Thanks so much for the quick response!

I have a followup question, though- right now it doesn't seem to matter what event I've opened, whenever I hit the compile button in EasyVent I see a popup box telling me that it's written to Offset x00002000.  Is there something I need to do to alter the events when I load them up in EasyVent to make sure the text at the top of the event about the Offset functions appropriately?  I've seen references in the forums to deleting the text offset but not the offset itself, and I'm not sure what that means.  Every time I alter the "Offset(x00004000)" or "Offset(x0004C000)" etc. I get an error message about the Offset either needing to be deleted or an error message about how the Offset has been mistyped or is missing. 

Clearly the problem is with the user, cause everyone else uses this program without issue  :(

EDIT:
I also just realized that this was posted into the Modding>Event Editing forum instead of Help, where I had intended to place it.  I'm not sure how to move this to the right place, but I'll fix it if someone tells me how.  Sorry about that.

Jumza

Quote from: JantheX on December 11, 2014, 09:12:02 pm
EDIT:
I also just realized that this was posted into the Modding>Event Editing forum instead of Help, where I had intended to place it.  I'm not sure how to move this to the right place, but I'll fix it if someone tells me how.  Sorry about that.

Eh, it's an event editing question, it can go here. In the future you may also consider the Help section though :P
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

JantheX

Progress!  Of a sort.

So the issue I was describing above where everything was saving to Offset x00002000 was solved by following up on Raven's question, because I was not saving my event prior to hitting compile.

So I tried hitting save first, and I got an error telling me that the Offset text needed to be deleted.

Then I deleted the Offset text and got an error telling me that the Offset text had been deleted.

Then I thought that maybe I could just skip saving and put the text of my event directly into the Event.txt in the directory and tell EasyVent to compile that way, but I got the same set of errors when I hit the Compile button. 

Thanks so much for your help so far guys, anything else you could offer would be equally awesome :)

Jumza

This is what is like in a normal vanilla event
QuoteOffset(x00004000)
//Remove the previous line if you wish not to override the offset in CONFIG.INI.
Text(x000008F9)
//Remove the previous line if you wish text to compile directly after instructions.

This is what it should be
QuoteOffset(x00004000)

(keep the comment below this line if you'd like, I guess)

Make sure you have the correct number of numbers (sooo many 0's) in the offset!

JantheX

Huh.  Yeah, that's what I'm seeing at the top of the event page when it's giving me trouble.

So far the only way I can get this to function for me is to just skip the compile and save buttons in EasyVent entirely and copy/paste from EasyVent into the Event.txt, save it in Notepad, and then double click the compiler program sitting in the same directory as the .txt and my Test.EVT file.  I'm not sure whether or not that's actually writing properly, though.

I'll have to work on this some more tomorrow.  At least I'm at a point where there's something else I can test about this.  And hey, if this method is working properly, it's good enough for me, but I'd be pretty confused about why the buttons in EasyVent would throw errors if I could have a different program do the same thing without issue.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

Jumza

I think the only way to diagnose the error at this point (since all else has failed) would be for you to post your event.txt so that someone can look over it.

Hopefully we can get this working for you soon :)

3lric

Quote from: Jumza on December 11, 2014, 09:26:41 pm
Eh, it's an event editing question, it can go here. In the future you may also consider the Help section though :P

No. I moved it. Its a eventing question. It goes in the event editing section.

JantheX

Re: Elric moving the thread, thank god, I thought I was losing my mind.  Lol.

Re: The actual contents of this thread, I've arrived at a partial solution.  As long as I don't try to use the buttons in EasyVent, I can replicate their functions and get the result I'm after.  I load up the Event in EasyVent, muck about with it, copy and past into a notepad file, save it in my Custom Events directory so I have it for later, copy/paste into Event.txt when I'm ready to go, and double-click the EventCompiler_2.01b sitting in the same directory.  Following this process, the relevant Test.EVT file is not causing subsequent event edits to overwrite each other and events are being edited without issue.

So... long story short, I don't know why I can't get the EasyVent buttons to cooperate, but it doesn't matter, because I'm able to edit events successfully anyway.  Yay! 

If anybody is curious, here's one of the Event.txt files I was using, but my guess is that I messed something up when I was downloading and extracting EasyVent somehow, because the Event.txt is working fine once it stops interacting with EasyVent.  I'm happy to cooperate if someone feels like this is evidence of a meaningful problem with the program itself, but since it looks like nobody else has reproduced this particular bug my guess is that it's solely on my end.  Thanks for your help everybody!

3lric

EVSP currently is buggy, I would recommend do it right from the event.txt anyway. As that's how most people do it.

EVSP 2.0 will be out soon.

Also, you already mentioned you know you are supposed to remove the text offset, so remove it.

JantheX

Wow.

Holy crap.  Okay, so I had an epiphany while responding to Elric's post.  Every time that someone said to delete the text offset, I thought they literally meant the text "offset" at the beginning of the event.

I just tried deleting the 3rd line of text in the .txt that actually is the text offset and now all the buttons in EasyVent are my friends.

Thanks so much for your help guys!

3lric

Jumza

But... But I told you exactly what it should look like Q.Q
*smashes head on desk*

I'm glad you got it working :) Have fun eventing!