• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:59:27 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Formula that acts like the "Charge" skills?

Started by IcePenguin, August 26, 2014, 07:34:18 pm

IcePenguin

Hi everyone!

After perusing the site and forums for a specific formula, I need help in the end to find a certain one.  It may already exist, but my math skills aren't the best so I didn't realize if it was already there, when it might be in plain sight.   :oops:

Is there a formula that does the same thing as the Archer's "Charge" skills?

In Jot5, it appears they have something like it with Cloud's limit skills Braver and Cross Slash.  While they aren't charge attacks, they are based of damage dealt with a normal attack it seems.

Rufio

I'm guessing it's just formula 2d with a low Y value and a CT.  that would probably do what you are asking.

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

Choto

August 27, 2014, 08:22:44 am #2 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:16:30 pm by Choto
That is an asm hack that we made for one of the formulas. I'll post it when I get home later. I hope I remember >_>

What he means Rufio is that if you use an axe... The ability will use the axe damage formula boosted by the ability Y in fftpatcher.

IcePenguin

Yay!  :mrgreen: When I get home I'm going to try this out.  Thank you very much, Choto!  Also, thanks Rufio, I didn't realize that the formula 2D used weapon power.  When staring at math formulas for too long, my brain... stops being a brain.

When I test out the formula later, I'll post the results.

IcePenguin

My first attempt failed, unfortunately.  The game crashed when trying to select a target to attack.  I will do some more tests to see if I can get it working properly.

Choto

August 28, 2014, 11:54:43 am #5 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:17:25 pm by Choto
One day... asm will just work. One day...

Try only applying that hack to a fresh iso. That will isolate the problem a bit.

Also, are you playing on a console or emulator? if emulator, which one?

Edit:Actually.. that hack is not the right one. That's garbage lol... I tried putting this one together but it turns out the JOT5 one is tied into all of its weapon formulas. Try this out:

<Patch name="Weapon formulas adds ability Y to weapon formula XA">
  <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="11ec80">
EE6B0508
</Location>
<Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="f2fb8">
1980013C
CE382290
FA382390
CE3822A0
1400BF8F
</Location>
</Patch>

IcePenguin

August 30, 2014, 03:42:12 pm #6 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:46:43 pm by IcePenguin
Cool!  I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, but when I finish up my homework (school is crazy right now) and stuff, I'll try out the new one.  Thank you for posting the new one!  I'm excited to try it out.   ;)

Edit:  The new one did not work either, but I'm still trying!  Haha.  I forgot to mention that I am playing on emulator and am using the epsxe emulator.  However, I don't like it very much because it acts weird sometimes.   :?  I will keep at it.  My hack is just about complete, anyway, and I've included a lot of the ASM hacks from around the forums.  Thanks to Rufio, I've used that 2D formula for other abilities which really helped a lot.

Just a quick question, does using the blank ability slots affect anything?

Choto

Blank ability slots are used for event effects mostly. So if you change the effect associated with that slot, it will screw up the event that uses it. Those effects are also designed to not display damage/status names/unit animations. If you don't care about the events though, you can overwrite them.

If you want me to troubleshoot that hack I wrote, post a savestate and information about what ability uses that formula and i'll look through it with the debugger to see where it's breaking. I'd like that hack to be publicly available. Also if you can describe /how/ it breaks... does it just not calculate correctly? does it hang? does it crash?

IcePenguin

Oh, hmm... I used the two blank slots right after the "Parasite" ability in FFTPatcher.  (#165 and#166)  I guess I'll find out what events they affected eventually as I play, haha.

I'll do some more tests with the hack and take some notes on it.  Then I'll post back later.  Want the savestate to be right before it occurs?

Choto

it can be just on the units turn but tell me which ability to use.

IcePenguin

Alright.  Just to let you know I probably won't get to post back until tomorrow (Monday), or Tuesday.  I'm finishing up a final project for school, then new classes begin.  It's chaos!   :o