• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:27:55 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Lijj's Sprites

Started by Lijj, April 29, 2010, 06:45:40 am

R999

May 01, 2010, 04:23:00 pm #20 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 05:31:23 pm by R999
The Black Mask
I think she'll look better if you give her more clothing or remove the black mask altogether. It just looks really odd the way she looks right now. Honestly, I prefer the original look with that eye mask.

Head angle
Also try to adjust the angle of her head slightly so she don't look like she is starring into the sky.

Hat
By the way, that's not a Wizard hat at all... so technically I wouldn't call this a Black Mage. I would change her hat into a wizard hat or call her something else.

Walking Frames
Her head looks like it is 100% fixed. Changing the lighting / angles slightly will make it more natural though this isn't as trivial as it sounds.

Kagebunji

Quote from: "R999"The Black Mask
I think she'll look better if you give her more clothing or remove the black mask altogether. It just looks really odd the way she looks right now. Honestly, I prefer the original look with that eye mask.
No way, the first version looked blooby and simply bad, and current look is traditional BM.

Quote from: "R999"Head angle
Also try to adjust the angle of her head slightly so she don't look like she is starring into the sky.
Angle isn't the problem here, it is the eyes that make this effect. Just use the eyes I did.

Quote from: "R999"Hat
By the way, that's not a Wizard hat at all... so technically I wouldn't call this a Black Mage. I would change her hat into a wizard hat or call her something else.
It is not BM hat, but still looks pretty good and works.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

LastingDawn

Oh, so those pictures above are only concepts? Since I would guess using the normal human base such different poses would be a near impossibility. Though if they're only concept than it makes little difference. Would be nice to see some monster sprite though. We hardly have any of them.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Kagebunji

I am working on one currently, nothing big though, but at least something.

R999

Head Angle
@Kage I doubt that you can fix her head angle by changing the eyes alone. You have to at least move some pixels of the hat itself. Anyway, still looks odd in my opinion. I would do it differently.

Custom Animations
@Lasting_Dawn I have incorporated custom animations in a few of my sprites, usually taking over the singing poses (TYPE1 or TYPE2, not MON/RUKA). That's one easy way to do it as long as they are only useable in a constrained context. For example, if the sprite is an enemy exclusive sprite, if the skill requires Materia Blade, etc. That is one advantage when designing sprites in cohesion with their job/skillset/animation designs. Usually doing the latter first, of course.

Lijj

Sheesh i don't know where to start it's a type two humanoid. I did as Kage and Zodiac said; lowered the eyes it looks less like she's moon calfing or star gazing.  When I get home I'll post an update. I just thought a lot of these original Tactics characters are wimpy looking; esp. Type 2s. I'm going to stick with the Chinese hat out of my own preference. She's Raiden's sister.

R999: I will consider tilting the hat forward but only if it seems absolutely necessary. I would have to re-draw all of them and i really like the way most look currently. I see what you mean though; valid point.
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

Oh lasting Dawn: The frames are just from Shishi's fighting animations.

Kagebunji

Quote from: "Lijj"She's Raiden's sister.
Haha, sure looks like one because of the hat. I will be lookin forward to update.

Lijj

Kagebunji

They doesn't seem saturated, look ok to me. I am sleepy now, sorry for not giving more constructive crit.

Lijj

May 02, 2010, 07:32:33 am #30 Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:03:00 am by Lijj
Lowered the eyes, de-blurred them; Made hat a little better for animation & covered up lame cleavage.

and pretty much finished the sprite; needs to be tested in game, needs portrait.edited

SilvasRuin

Making the eyes glow for the singing/speaking pose is awesome.

LastingDawn

Oh those tattered frills Really add character to the sprite and increases her creepiness factor. I really like this sprite, especially if those very gorgeous looking poses were from Shishi's animation shows. Though I personally cannot help thinking that if the cap were lower that only the very bottom of her eyes could be seen would maximize the creepiness factor. Especially when she attacks you can only see a single eye. Are you really sure you want this to be a generic? This sprite alone has more than enough character to be a completely new character in a mod or story.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

SilvasRuin

A whole roster of generics looking this good would make me drown in a puddle of my own drool a lot faster than making this a special character.

Lijj

Sweet! Very kind, yet true, she looks so cool in fighting poses. Thank you for the compliments and thanks Zod, Kage and R999 for constructiveness.
R999: I fixed the walking animations so that the lighting changes as it should.
Use for main or generic.  I'd be happy to see her featured in any patch.

Kagebunji

You have portrait for her?

Lijj

Not yet. Will in a day or two though going to a party later...maybe, parties blah. I'd rather sprite than party anytime!

Cheetah

The rear/side view for the hat looks a bit off. Same with the directly rear view.
Current Projects:

Lijj

I just noticed that in-game when it rotates it's more noticeable to me. You've got a detective's eye Cheetah. It's only off a bit though, thank you.
Will fix

Cheetah

Overall I'm liking the look of this sprite, though I definitely need to see it in action more. I'm also noticing that the second palette you have up there is by far the best. I think for all of them you should be using two complementing colors instead of just different shades of the same color. Maybe take notes from your avatar and try a black one with pink highlights.
Current Projects: