• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:37 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Removing job wheel? + some

Started by arbi, January 19, 2018, 11:27:59 am

arbi

January 19, 2018, 11:27:59 am Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:10:23 pm by arbi
Is it possible to remove the job wheel from a character? I want to make it so Ramza primarily, but hopefully all special characters, are locked into their jobs. I tried changing Ramza into a monster, but I don't want him to lose access to all of his job commands and 4 skills seem too limited.

Here's what else I tried:
1.) Changing a generic monster job's command to function like another: It did nothing. The monster job isn't its own menu so it doesn't work like changing other skillset behaviors.
2.) Changing Guts to work like a monster skill: All this did was make it so he only had access to 3 of his skills.
3.) Changing Ramza's starting job to one of the Undead skillsets: This did nothing except change Guts into Knight/Summoner/etc.
4.) Changing Ramza's starting job to Byblos: This just changed Guts to his skillset. Still had access to job wheel.

EDIT: Also is it possible to make Martial Arts affect the damage of Poles? (unresolved still)

EDIT 2: I found a workaround for my issue. It requires using RAD and changing the way the job trees work, but it ultimately accomplishes the same thing.
  • Modding version: PSX

Aiolon

No. its not posible to do it with patcher.

and the only thing that makes special characters special in terms of gameplay its that they have diferent abilities for their "squire" job and better raw stats and stat multipliers, other than that they are still generic units and are affected by all the changes you've done to the job wheel.
dunno if it can be made with ASM since you have to consider that you want this to work on special characters only and ignore generic units.

P.S. worries me that if you do this then said special characters wont be able to learn reaction, support and movement abilites from the generic jobs and they wont have a use for secondary job making them 1-trick-ponies like Orlandu in vanilla.
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

arbi

Ty for the reply.

Do you know if its possible to do with spreadsheets? At least for Ramza.

I think it's important to mention my design intentions: The "one trick pony" thing doesn't really concern me too much. Cid in vanilla, for instance, surely was a OTP but that didn't stop him from being one of the best characters in the game. I want the players to have to choose between more of the classes and actually use more strategy in their formations and character builds rather than deathballing or 1-shotting everything. Having Ramza be a specific, and limited, character would force players to use their generics to fill in the gaps in his ability rather than just replacing characters to make the same build on a separate one with better scaling.

I was doing a run of KO and got to that point. Why keep my first 6 generics when Rad, Alicia, and Lavian are better in every conceivable way and have 70/70 brave/faith? I want uniques to feel unique, but I also don't want this to be the difference of 1-3 skills (vanilla Ramza, any holy swordsman, etc).

I guess you could think of it like Darkest Dungeon, if you've played it. All of those characters serve one specific function, with a variety of in-class skills, but are still powerful and useful in their own rights, especially when customized with items. MOBAs work the same way actually. The comp and builds make all the difference to the point where you can play thousands of games with different builds/comps. That is far more strategy to me than stack speed on your strongest character and have him one shot everything. That would actually be fine if the comp wasn't 5 "strongest" characters, since there is only so much I can do with the AI especially without having to change the layout of every single battle to make them more strategic.

It may be a stretch to do this with generics, but I certainly wouldn't mind it for Ramza and also for "special" characters. With that being said, since this is FFT and not DD, I would want these characters to still have secondary jobs or at least 1 full job tree.

Aiolon

Unfortunately no.
none of the tools or hacks we have here seem to be useful for this specific task.
you could try asking in the ASM request thread though those are rarelly fulfilled.

oh and you can edit your first 6 generic units in ENTD so that they can have all you want them to have (Br/Ft, Items equiped, unlocked jobs, other things) but i think you already know this.
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

3lric

Sure you can, just give the jobs requirements that are unattainable. Like make all jobs require rank 9 mime or something