• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Dark Maeko's Sprite attempts

Started by DarkMaeko, December 15, 2015, 11:54:55 pm

Philogosten

Keep up the good work, there is not nearly enough good boss sprites out there currently.
Now taking bets on which kills me first. lung cancer or liver failure

DarkMaeko

thanks. couple of the cloak versions working on at the same time as regular.

Guru

Love that artorias!  :mrgreen: I'm no spriter but I def like your work!

DarkMaeko

most of the concepts came from Seshurio wouldnt be possible without his idea's thanks to him and his inovation.

DarkMaeko

geting close to done the non cloaked version. still workiinig on attacks. and decideing what i want to use for crit / dead. have cloaked versions already for crit / dead but doesnt mesh with non cloaked heh.

LastingDawn

...Wow. That is an Amazing Golbez! It is always good to see another one of the FFIV Crew get a sprite, terrific!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

DarkMaeko

January 25, 2016, 11:53:19 pm #46 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:22:22 am by DarkMaeko
2nd version. still picking attacks for bolth versions.

Guru

DarkMaeko

just about done should finish at least a rough draft full edit this weekend.

DarkMaeko

close some ediits to be done but useable

Argy

That looks amazing!! Keep up the good work!!
  • Modding version: PSX
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

DarkMaeko

gettiing there
realy need to fix back left hand looks like hes trying to bust  a nut.

DarkMaeko

February 01, 2016, 01:31:46 am #52 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:24:53 pm by DarkMaeko
still fixing various things and working on diffrent pallets.
and that is correct its spawn cape!!

Mograine_D

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that black / dark red pallete omg.. that cloak with the popped collar like what his name.. spawn? love that cloak man keep up the good work it looks fuckin awesome haha
Chuuuuurrrrge!!

DarkMaeko

February 01, 2016, 06:16:03 pm #54 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:25:15 pm by DarkMaeko
a few more minor edits.

LastingDawn

Hmm, Golbez is "Clad in Black" after all. I'd be more than impressed if you managed to get the cape as well.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

CONMAN

I've been wanting to comment in this thread for a while.  First off- Good work!  I've wanted to use the Titan and a couple of other large sprites together to make something BIG and unique.  It looks like you did a good job getting the shoulders and arms onto this body.

The Titan skirt thing is sort of derpy looking (that's simply how it is on the original).  I wanted to say it looks like it doesn't blend particularly well.  Also, kind of a major issue, I removed the port on you test9 to look at it in graphics gale- and it has 18 colors.  That won't properly import into the game.  I suggest that the energy blast you are using be recolored to match the yellow/gold so you can knock it back down to 16 or less.  A few of the sprite colors are being pulled right off of the portrait palette.

DarkMaeko

February 02, 2016, 06:39:29 pm #57 Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:24:33 pm by DarkMaeko
awsome thanks for the detailed info i aperciate it when i was editing i messed up the pallets i have that issue fixed thanks allot for helping out hard to go off my own thought nice to get some feedback. allot of fine tuneing left to go but its getting there. and i still cannot spell i dont want to count the errors lol.

also the end game of this is the cloaked version so if the back looks terrible i will fix it but not going to worry to much about it. and the cloaked version will have diffrent attack i just made that force ball thiinigy as a filler needed the none cloaked version as a template for the cloaked version hahah would be rather amuzing if i dont like how it goes together lols should be good tho hopefuly. also thinking the finial non cloaked version im going to use diffrent legs but at least i got a decent top i can use already have legs in minid probly velius or somthing similar.

Guru

Been meaning to comment on this but guess I forgot. I feel stupid posting on sprites sometime cuz I have no real feedback I can give besides "cool looks good" lol. But the latest version is absolutely beautiful work! By far my favorite version ( others were just as good but I'm loving the colors on this one )

I wasn't a fan of the original caped one, but something about the spawn cape, looking good! Not that there was anything wrong with the other caped one. maybe it's just the colors I didn't like? idk (ik super helpful lol)

Would you mind If I use a couple of your sprites some day? I don't plan on doing a mod anytime soon, I'm still just learning eventing and hex but when I do there is a couple sprites of yours I would like to use and I'm sure there will be more of yours I like. I'd of course give you the credit you deserve  ;)

Twinees

Hey DarkMaeko.

I'm going to have a differing opinion of a lot of people here, but I don't think the Golbez sprite looks great. There are a couple of problems with it that I'd like to point out.

- The old Blue and Gold palette looked better than the current Black and Red, but they both aren't good, and are hiding flaws in your shading. The black colours in particular are making it look really flat. Two of your red colours are at 100% saturation, that is a big no no! Grab colours from existing FFT sprites and you will be able to see the issues I will be mentioning. Just remember, that when you are trying to make a sprite fit into a game, making the palette similar can go a long way in achieving that.

- The chest and back are really flat. The back in particular. You'd be better off adding a cape to hide the whole back frames like Golbez normally has.

- The darkest black colour you are using/shadows around the chest and arms makes it look like he bigger than intended or look like he has a small cape sometimes.

- The front and back view legs are probably the worst part to be honest. The yellow/red cloth in the middle has weird shading and the current colours you are using don't help with the look of that. But the dots on the legs are basically indecipherable. It's just a continuous pattern of a bright yellow and slightly darker yellow, it's extremely jarring.

Harsh critiques maybe, but getting critiques like this will help you identify areas you need to improve on and will help you in the long run. I would recommend sticking with smaller sprites until you get used to the shading style. Also getting accustomed to the colour palettes used in FFT will help greatly. You used FFT colours in the Artorias sprite which was great and it turned out okay.

Anyway, that's all for today. Keep improving, stick with smaller sprites for now and come back to Golbez at a later time. :)