• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Modifying damage formulas for abilities

Started by Gadwin, April 22, 2017, 11:37:49 am

Gadwin

Hello, I am new to tactics modding. I have downloaded FFTPatcher and have been fiddling around with it for a while now, with the goal of making dragoon's jump command more worthwhile via a simple damage boost. To my understanding, the damage formula for Jump is:

"If [user] is equipped with any weapon, then

damage = [PA * K] * WP

If [user] is barehanded, then

damage = [(PA * Bravery) / 100] * PA

where K = 3/2 if the [user] is equipped with a spear
K = 1 otherwise"

My goal is to edit the spear modifier for "K" to 4/2 instead of 3/2, which should give spear-jumps a 2x damage modifier instead of 1.5x.

If the 3/2 modifier cannot be changed, then I would like to alter some other part of the formula. If editing the formula is simply not possible, I guess I could modify the WP of every spear by 1.25x or something, but I would like to save that as a last resort.

My problem is, I have no idea how to go about looking for a place where I could edit the formula. I have searched these forums and the wiki for a tutorial or information, but the various searches and videos i've tried didn't really get me anywhere. So, I mounted my wotl ISO to the FFTPatcher and loaded up the ability tab, which showed formulas for abilities such as cure, but I could not find Jump in the list of abilities- only the "Horizontal Jump X" and "Vertical Jump X" passives unlocked with JP, which had no formula to go with them. I checked the ability list over and over again thinking I just missed it, but it does not seem to be there. Since Jumping is also a status of sorts, I checked the status effects tab as well, but couldn't find what I needed. I generated "resources.zip" and looked through the related bits of that, but i've still come up empty. I just don't know where to look.

I realize you guys get a lot of questions like this, and i'm sorry to add to them, but i'm completely stumped and would very much appreciate if someone more experienced than I could help clear things up. Thank you in advance.
  • Modding version: WotL

3lric

I see in your profile that you are editing WotL rather than the PSX version. No one makes ASMs for WotL.
  • Modding version: PSX

Emmy

If you are willing to switch to psx version, this should work:

<Patch name="Formula 64 = 2x damage if using spear">
    <Description>Only works on PSX version!</Description>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="11eee0">
    </Location>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="11eee8">
    </Location>
  </Patch>

Test it just to make sure.  And as Elric said, no one writes asm for Wotl.  Formula changes can't be done in patcher, they require asm.
  • Modding version: PSX

Gadwin

I see. While it is disappointing to hear that i'll have to change versions, it is very nice to have gotten to the bottom of it.

Thank you both very much, especially for the patch.
  • Modding version: WotL