• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

New Character

Started by Lydyn, April 23, 2008, 04:20:16 pm

Lydyn

April 23, 2008, 04:20:16 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
So! How's this done? I'm getting Vanya to make me that Lightning sprite for me, but how to I end up creating a new custom class around her and all that?

I was thinking of replacing the Arc Witch and stuff ... would I just go to the ENTD editor and set the Sprite Set to whatever I replaced Lightning with and set the Job as Arc Witch then? So, when she joins, her sprite is there and uses the Arc Witch Job?

How about a new name in, so she's named 'Lightning' and not something random?

Vanya

April 23, 2008, 05:57:33 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The only problem with new characters that I know of is that they won't show up right on the unit/camp screen thing. There's only a limited number of spots in UNIT.bin so new characters would have to replace old ones mostly.

I'm putting myself and my girlfriend in a personal hack, but I also wanted to do something special with Rad, Alicia, and Lavian. Without expanding Unit.bin they'll have to take someone else's space and I don't really wanna do that.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

April 24, 2008, 12:10:54 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hey, notice how there are 2 versions of lets say Rafa? the guest version and the one that joins you? well if you insert your sprite into one of those two, and then go into the jobs section and edit the job that that sprite is attached to then you dont have to worry about dealing with it in entd editor because it will be permanently part of the character.
i added balthier as a new character by replacing mustadio's  guest sprite and editing the job attached to it.

entd editor isnt the main way to create jobs, its only how you fine tune them, like what name, birthday, brave and faith, gender and level are attached to them.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Lydyn

April 29, 2008, 04:21:00 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
So if I were to replace the pig-tail girl, I'd need to overwrite Teta's sprite or extra sprite or whatever, so she shows up in battle and in the formation screen?

Also, which skillsets can I edit so it works correctly? I was thinking of replacing the Arc Witch class, but it naturally has no skillset. Will it mess up like switching the Dancer's Dance to Holy Sword would or can I safely switch it? If not, should I just pick a class with a skillset that isn't being used or what?

Thanks in advance.

Vanya

April 29, 2008, 04:28:56 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
not sure. a quick test might answer your question though.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Lydyn

April 29, 2008, 04:33:26 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Yeah, was hoping someone else would know.... my cousins are coming home soon and I'm watching a movie and it's very likely my cousins will have the computer by then and all that. Mine isn't moved in yet, heh

Lydyn

April 29, 2008, 06:56:59 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
So, I tested it real quick and changed Ramza in the first battle to Arc Witch and everything, but in his job class list it still listed his base job as Squire...

...so, now what should I do? Oh and the changing skillset -seemed- to work perfectly.

Vanya

April 29, 2008, 07:00:25 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Since arc witch has no skill set I IMAGINE it would just use the skill set associated with the sprite. . . I think.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Lydyn

April 29, 2008, 07:04:59 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Not sure that helps me much. :P

NeedsMoreNoise

April 29, 2008, 08:28:32 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Don't use the first battle to test it, then. I think the game automatically sets the job to Squire when you begin, which defeats the purpose.

Zozma

April 29, 2008, 08:56:48 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
Arc witch, is one of the few npc characters that if you replaced her battle sprite, you actually can replace her unit/camp sprite as well because its available. then with the text edit you can change the name of the job... yes it has no skillset but there are so many blank slots for skillsets just attach one to the job very easy.

i personally like balmafula and wouldnt replace her or olan for anything even tho they never join you... but hey its up to you...

Lydyn

April 29, 2008, 09:12:22 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Lots of miscommunication going on and it's making things confusing for me... my plan was to;

• Get the Lightning Sprite made
  • Overwrite the Pig-tail girl in UNiT.BIN
  • Find out what sprite uses the pig-tail girl and replace that in-battle sprite
  • Give the new character the Lightning Sprite set and Arc Witch Job class
  • Put it in several battles and after it join after a certain event

There, make sense what I want now? Anyone confused? :P I wanted to make sure all this was possible, and how it is since so many people seem to be doing it.

Kenshin72

April 29, 2008, 11:53:32 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
The pig tail girl battle sprite i believe is FURAIA.spr

LastingDawn

April 30, 2008, 12:06:49 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Indeed, "she" is Teta's sprite in the formation screen.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Lydyn

May 02, 2008, 08:23:39 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
So I was thinking of the best way to make this run smoothly... I was thinking of replacing the Balmafula sprite with Lightning then taking one of the copy sprites of one of the assassins and replacing them with Balmafula so that I can use it in the Events. So Balmafula and Lightning could both appear normally and like nothing had changed.

My only concern is, if I can't fit Balmafula over one of the copy assassins, is there any other good copy sprites I could use? I was hoping not to use Argias only so the only 'her not leaving the party' glitch doesn't occur.

Zozma

May 02, 2008, 10:44:03 pm #15 Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:49:12 pm by Zozma
there is more than one problem here

"Furaia.spr" is not large enough to hold ANY animations below the portrait, or better descriped as the entire 'physical attack animation set.

the dancer/assassin/alma and furaia sprites arms connect differently than balmafula's give it a test run and youll see that the arms arent connected right if pasted there.

you could use H85.Spr which is meliadoul's enemy version but then again she shares that menu sprite with her normal version.... still that shouldnt be a problem IF balmafula never joins you. Gafgarion's guest version could be used as well without much trouble. also i haven't tested it but i think you can even do the same with rafa.spr

Vanya

May 02, 2008, 10:47:22 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
What would you suggest, Zozma. I'm curious since you have done this more than most of us.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

May 02, 2008, 10:50:45 pm #17 Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:53:54 pm by Zozma
balmafula should fit fine over H85.spr (meliadoul enemy version), Rafa.Spr(guest rafa), or gafgarions guest i forget which one is which tho...
my "jenna" sprite is based off of balmafula, and she fits well over rafa.

(pssst im not a big fan of rafa hehehe....) but realistically id say meliadoul enemy version or gafgarion guest version, or doing the true version of rafa and leaving the guest so it can leave the party, then u could make the guest version join up permenantly later. (doing that trick with rafa might screw up the brave story character description of rafa's status tho i dont know for sure)

Vanya

May 02, 2008, 10:53:11 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
What about if I want to not replace any of the original specials and want the formation stuff to match?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

May 02, 2008, 10:58:46 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hmmm well teta, but furaia.spr doesnt support attack animations.
alma's final guest version accesses an unused male cleric sprite, with brown hair in the menu so except for the fact that te arms connect differently thats an option(the pictures are off still). i think herecy examiner Zalmo's sprite is also in the menu, but im not sure if its assigned to his character, give it a try id like to know that myself....

then theres balmafula, and olan. they never join you, but i love their sprites i dont have the heart to replace them.
oh yes simon also has a sprite and a menu sprite.

you dont have to replace ANY origional specials, just their duplicates, or use a duplicate other character to replace those specials like olan, balmafula, simon who are never legally seen in the menu, only if u gameshark.