• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:43:26 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT v1.3 and some ideas about Patching.

Started by Archael, April 22, 2008, 09:58:45 am

Archael

April 22, 2008, 09:58:45 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I was considering using the Heavenly Chaos patch for my WOTG playthrough, because it looks great. But then I saw how heavily modified Dancer / Bard jobs are. Don't get me wrong, I love this patch, but not for a normal playthrough of the game.

This patch is fine if you wanna have some new fun with the game, but for standard, balanced playthroughs it can become a problem. We seriously need more patches with V1.2 or VK's idea in mind.

Making the game harder, more balanced, or making everything have a unique use, those are good aims for a patch.

But it's still gotta be FFT for those of us who like challenges. That means no radical changes to classes (except calc, which is broken to begin with), and certainly no Orlandu-type unlockable classes.

Just my 2cents.

Patches should NOT have X or Y class made up by X or Y person. These classes always reflect the creator's desire to use them themselves and have other people play their creation, and that is never good for balance.

Heavenly Chaos' Chaos / Heaven knights reflect what I'm going to call the "Ramza > Holy Knight" complex. You never had the chance to turn your guys into something more powerful than a samurai or black wizard in original FFT, so you'd love a unique special powerful unlockable lvl 8, lvl8 class to be in there as part of the patch.

While I understand this and that's fine, these ideas just change the game too much for STANDARD patches. We need (people who take on challenges) something else to play on besides V1.2.

This is the ONLY reason V1.2 is still used today. It's the only standard FFT update out there, all the others aim to change the original game too much or make changes that would make a FFT challenge not a FFT challenge. Or they are just not finished yet.

So yes Philsov and V1.2 are oldsauce, but in a sense, no one's succesfully replaced his patch yet, and that is why you still see 'em around today.

As someone who LOVES challenges - I doubt you will ever see a FFT challenge being played on a patch that has Hunter / Blue Mage / Red Mage / Heaven Knight classes. It's just not FFT anymore, just an editor's idea of what FFT should be.

Just some thoughts for you guys. Enjoy.

Xifanie

April 22, 2008, 04:44:08 pm #1 Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:55:04 pm by Xifanie
If you want such a patch, tons of work and discussion has been made on this forum. You could easily create a balanced with all the work done.

FFT is FFT, we all klnow that, however most of us want to go one step higher.

You say chocobos are fine as killing machines and not being used as mounts? fine with me, but I don't agree.

Personally I work on all this for myself, then for the others; not the opposite.

-EDIT-
I would make a balanced patch but I have my own patching project and lots of other work to do. :S
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

NeedsMoreNoise

April 22, 2008, 04:46:02 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Calculator being replaced by Red Mage won't change the difficulty, I don't think (although I removed the innate Short Charge in favor of a slightly better speed), but the Blue Mage could. Also, the original, unmodified game had several unbalancing factors for the player's side (Agrias, Orlandu, Meliadoul, Beowulf...), but since you don't actually need to use them once they become playable, you can choose your own difficulty. You can still do that in the VK patch.

I do agree that it's not a good idea to create 'perfect' classes (as in, once you unlock them, the game is a cakewalk), and especially not ones in the job roster. I won't be using any patches that're based off of that idea, including that Heavenly Chaos one.

Xifanie

April 22, 2008, 04:56:51 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I won't either... I have pwned the game for 10 years and I don't feel like using a patch that will make it even easier.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Lydyn

April 22, 2008, 05:11:02 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
... :? Okay ... so you guys don't agree with my patch, fine. Then don't use it! I know the original poster sort of had a point to pointing to my patch and all, but you don't need to really attack my idea or anything. You don't like it, you don't like, but there's no need to sit here and say how bad it is because it's not your cup of tea.

And it's not like anyone is freakin' helping me either, I have to sit here and do it all by myself. All I can say is that I've done my best to make the game chanllenging while always keeping in mind every unit has access to the special knight classes.

I know the original poster probably wasn't trying to go out of his way to attack my patch or anything (or I hope not), I think the point of the post was to try and interest other people into making a 1.3 FFT patch, right?

NeedsMoreNoise

April 22, 2008, 05:45:04 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "Lydyn"... :? Okay ... so you guys don't agree with my patch, fine. Then don't use it! I know the original poster sort of had a point to pointing to my patch and all, but you don't need to really attack my idea or anything. You don't like it, you don't like, but there's no need to sit here and say how bad it is because it's not your cup of tea.

And it's not like anyone is freakin' helping me either, I have to sit here and do it all by myself. All I can say is that I've done my best to make the game chanllenging while always keeping in mind every unit has access to the special knight classes.

I know the original poster probably wasn't trying to go out of his way to attack my patch or anything (or I hope not), I think the point of the post was to try and interest other people into making a 1.3 FFT patch, right?
1) No one said it was bad.

2) 99% of people don't have help when they're making personal patches.

3) Stop being overly dramatic.

Lydyn

April 22, 2008, 05:51:53 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
1) It was implied.

2) *Shrug*

3) Excuse me for expressing my feelings. >.<

Archael

April 22, 2008, 06:19:42 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Lydin, I love ur patch, when I'm not recording the WOTG challenge I play on it, dude. So don't go emo  :D

What I'm getting at is that I think we need a V1.2 - V1.3 update for people who wish to play a patched FFT that's as close as possible to the original.

If you say you want to do a SCC challenge on FFT, for example, and do it using a patch that has this awesome class, people will discredit you, because it's too different from the original FFT. But if you have a patch that simply fixes minor things, such as V1.2 does, then it's still FFT, just balanced (and difficulty increased).

This suggestion by NO MEANS discredits people who want to take the game in another direction like you Lydin. By all means keep at it, like I said I even play on your patch.

I'm just saying there should be a clear distincton between a heavily modified FFT playthrough (such as VK if they decide to add custom jobs) and V1.2, which is old as hell.

In a nutshell, we need a V1.3 for people who want to go on challenges. This would be so simple to make it's not even funny, you can do it all with SCUS patching and FFTpatcher and just making small changes. Taking what V1.2 and fixing whatever issues that has.

Lydyn

April 22, 2008, 06:28:41 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Sorry. I can be sensative due to certian things that's happened in my life and I really try not to and stuff... it's just I put so much work into it so far and barely anyone seems to really say much when I post on my topic.. I'd hate to feel like what I did was a waste of time, is all and it's happened to me so many times I can't begin to count.

So, I was being a little defensive. Anyways, I suppose I could go through the v1.2 when I have time ... but I don't know what you're exactly looking for. I haven't really played the patch myself, so I wouldn't have experience in what's good/bad.

I do have the time for it though, in general, if you let me know what's up with it. ^_^

Austin

April 22, 2008, 06:29:43 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Why talk about it when you could make it yourself? Like you said it's all pretty simple to edit, so go for it.

Archael

April 22, 2008, 06:31:37 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Lydyn"I think the point of the post was to try and interest other people into making a 1.3 FFT patch, right?

This is 100% correct Lydin.

I'm willing to do it too once I finish recording WOTG. Raijinili revised the V1.2 I'm using for WOTG, and everything is pretty nice.

Wouldn't take much to get an updated V1.3 out, with all the new ideas everyone has about BALANCE.

I mean, guys, the link to V1.2 is on the front page. Shouldn't a front page link to a patch with such an official name "FFT V1.2" be updated once in awhile?

TRC

February 19, 2009, 10:01:32 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by TRC
Posting in uber epic legendary thread. >_>

philsov

February 19, 2009, 10:24:07 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteI mean, guys, the link to V1.2 is on the front page. Shouldn't a front page link to a patch with such an official name "FFT V1.2" be updated once in awhile?

HELL no.  Don't mess with perfect.

;)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

TRC

February 19, 2009, 10:26:12 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by TRC
lol phil

Asmo X

February 19, 2009, 10:37:23 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
This shit doesn't deserve its own thread. No real patch info posted just more talking. Close thread, ban OP.

Scrub

Archael

February 19, 2009, 12:34:34 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
lol this was back when my internet grammar was understandable

SentinalBlade

February 19, 2009, 03:57:53 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Quote from: "Voldemort"lol this was back when my internet grammar was understandable

agreed. what happened anyways?

did 1.3 work end up melting your brain?

Dormin Jake

February 19, 2009, 05:06:32 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
The 1.3 concept is going to have a birthday coming in in two months, judging by those timestamps.

It's come a long way in a year's time.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Archael

February 28, 2009, 11:47:21 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
this should probably get moderated

:)

VincentCraven

February 28, 2009, 01:23:44 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "Voldemort"this must get moderated

:)

fixed
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.