• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:03:50 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Tired of lolpatch

Started by Bastard Poetry, February 13, 2009, 01:21:57 pm

Quitcha Bitchin?

Yeah.. We're going overboard with this lolpatch war.
17 (44.7%)
Fuck you, Bastard.
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 13, 2009, 01:21:57 pm

Archael

February 13, 2009, 02:53:47 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuotePerhaps I need to clarify this to you, Voldemort, because I don't think you even know what you're arguing with, against me. I think you're ignoring my points and fighting me on the ones you've wrapped yourself around in your own head.

What? I'm trying to improve the site and nominating Asmo as a moderator, that's all I am trying to do

I'm ignoring alot of your points because you don't seem to understand the situation as well as the people who frequent the site more (like SB)

the only points I've wrapped myself around in my head is that this forum has a problem and Asmo is teh solution!

QuoteI'm saying you're TOO PISSED OFF and you're blindly taking it out on EVERY IDEA that arrives on the New Projects board now

lol

I think you are confusing me with Asmo

I rarely even post on this forum, and have given zero indication for being pissed off at anyone... really, the "YOU'RE JUST ANGRY!!!" accusation doesn't make much sense here

QuoteMY POINT: A moderator for this forum IS needed, but s/he should monitor laziness; NOT judge ideas.

that's half-assing it and is a subpar solution

not every idea is created equal, and people who are critical of what ideas are awesome and what ideas are lolmypatch do exist (Asmo)

QuoteSteps ARE being taken to increase the vote quota,

vote quota (increased or not) is not a valid solution

never has been

like I said to philsov, it'll solve nothing

Also, in case the reason you are defending the lolpatchers is because you somehow believe CoK would be classified as a lolpatch or something (which you gave some indication of in your OP):

CoK is not a lolpatch and with a moderator like Asmo a project like it WOULD indeed thrive

spoonman

February 13, 2009, 03:03:25 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by spoonman
We need less differentiation between New Projects and Spam. You know, to fool people into posting their lolpatch ideas into the spam thread. They'll be easier to weed out.

Dormin Jake

February 13, 2009, 03:37:22 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
I agree with bastard.

*Dormin Jake gains Transparent*
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Bastard Poetry

February 13, 2009, 03:38:50 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Okay, now I understand where you're coming from, Arch.

Quote from: "Voldemort"I'm ignoring alot of your points because you don't seem to understand the situation as well as the people who frequent the site more (like SB)

Nevermind the constant lurking I do. Nevermind the valid points I've made that Zozma, LD and philsov have agreed with.

I'll just put it bluntly, then:

What you're trying to do is not going to make the site "better."

You're turning FFH into an elitist playground with a "No Girls Allowed" sign.

I may be playing Devil's Advocate for the underdogs, like I always do, but you're advocating Cronyism.

Power only to those willing to play on your terms.

You want to talk about a better site, and better talents, and better projects and better ambitions, holding on to the best and the brightest people and encouraging them to thrive, then let me ask this:

Where's Curu these days?
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Archael

February 13, 2009, 03:43:48 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteYou're turning FFH into an elitist playground with a "No Girls Allowed" sign.

if by this you mean "no lol patches - serious discussion of serious ideas that have dedication and purpose behind them"

then yes, of course that's what I would love to turn FFH into

Quotebut you're advocating Cronyism.  

I don't even know what that means dude lmao

QuotePower only to those willing to play on your terms.

wtf? I think you are over-analyzing my suggestion for Asmo as moderator WAY too much...

what terms?

I'm saying nominate someone who is good at detecting BS

like Asmo

again, what terms? Asmo will surely behave differently than these proposed "terms" of mine, and I don't care

if I needed things to be "my way" I would be nominating myself for moderator,  don't you think?

QuoteYou want to talk about a better site, and better talents, and better projects and better ambitions, holding on to the best and the brightest people and encouraging them to thrive,

Yes, and that's what a good moderator in this forum will produce, end of story

QuoteWhere's Curu these days?

She doesn't come around anymore, and I don't know the reasons

what the hell does Curu have to do with any of this?

seriously now you just seem like you're posting just for the sake of getting the last post in

I don't get it

Addendum: posting a poll asking "should there be stricter rules on lolpatches!?" in this forum is obviously going to get a predictable response

AngrySurprisedFace

February 13, 2009, 05:39:49 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AngrySurprisedFace
Quote from: "Voldemort"what the hell does Curu have to do with any of this?

Quote from: "bastardpoetry"You want to talk about a better site, and better talents, and better projects and better ambitions, holding on to the best and the brightest people and encouraging them to thrive, then let me ask this:

Where's Curu these days?

What he's saying that Curu was one of those amazing people we had on our site with her amazing spriting abilities.

She's gone for "unknown" reasons.

Archael

February 13, 2009, 06:14:05 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "AngrySurprisedFace"
Quote from: "Voldemort"what the hell does Curu have to do with any of this?

Quote from: "bastardpoetry"You want to talk about a better site, and better talents, and better projects and better ambitions, holding on to the best and the brightest people and encouraging them to thrive, then let me ask this:

Where's Curu these days?

What he's saying that Curu was one of those amazing people we had on our site with her amazing spriting abilities.

She's gone for "unknown" reasons.

right

and her being gone for unknown reasons has nothing to do with this discussion or the changes we are proposing for the forum

(irrelevant to any discussion, really.. since no one knows why she left or even if she'll ever be back)

Kokojo

February 13, 2009, 06:29:56 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Wow Voldemort, stop listening to your E-penis.

I don't agree too much though, BP, okay, we ARE overeacting, but something needs to be done. It's not about the storage, Zodiac has eough for a community like us. (or at least, thats what ive been told) and if he needs donations one day, i am sure FFH will provide.

I simply think that this ''New projects'' should not be about random projects, with one guy that never changed events, and that never changed anything in FFTpacther ever. They should aquire some experience or have something to show, a new pacth post withouth pictures, story or info about the changes (not just items X are stronger, item Y are bad now) is not quite amusing to see.

And i've been thinking, Voldemort, if i lauched a vote for COP to get it's own section, it would not pass, i guarantee.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Zozma

February 13, 2009, 06:31:22 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
heh... our replies are nothing more then throwing more dry wood onto a fire.

ignoring the problem will be impossible if ppl keep responding to "it".
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Archael

February 13, 2009, 06:41:52 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kokojo"Wow Voldemort, stop listening to your E-penis.

I don't agree too much though, BP, okay, we ARE overeacting, but something needs to be done. It's not about the storage, Zodiac has eough for a community like us. (or at least, thats what ive been told) and if he needs donations one day, i am sure FFH will provide.

I simply think that this ''New projects'' should not be about random projects, with one guy that never changed events, and that never changed anything in FFTpacther ever. They should aquire some experience or have something to show, a new pacth post withouth pictures, story or info about the changes (not just items X are stronger, item Y are bad now) is not quite amusing to see.

And i've been thinking, Voldemort, if i lauched a vote for COP to get it's own section, it would not pass, i guarantee.

I agree (e-penis you really think so!!  :oops: )

and COP would pass a forum section vote test if you showed ALL the work you have

which I know is ALOT more than what is on that thread

Kokojo

February 13, 2009, 06:59:49 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Hem, you're actually quite wrong on that point. All i have done otherwise is some sprite import. 5-6 custom abilities, redone a part of the intro, and the story itself classes by events. And i am trying to crack the mid battle event. so no, it would't, i don't have much.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

SydneySoul

February 13, 2009, 07:00:08 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SydneySoul
So well said!
Lil' gay soul manipulator lolpatcher.

Archael

February 13, 2009, 07:04:35 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kokojo"Hem, you're actually quite wrong on that point. All i have done otherwise is some sprite import. 5-6 custom abilities, redone a part of the intro, and the story itself classes by events. And i am trying to crack the mid battle event. so no, it would't, i don't have much.

oh ok

then no, it wouldn't pass

whats ur point?

Xifanie

February 13, 2009, 08:51:47 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
lolpatches are:

- unpopular and the creator relies on popularity to continue hacking; therefore PHAIL
- inactive... the topic is created and the patch maker will not do any progress until his/her topic has enough posts; therefore PHAIL
- the creator wants to make his/her personal patch, and doesn't care for other's opinion; therefore PHAIL

So let me get to the point:
Personally I, and I'm sure others, don't read the New Projects section anymore because it's so full of lolpatches and finding a good patch in that looks like hell.
How is that any worse than using a lolpatch radar to handle the currently existing lolpatches and other patches as well?

The point of having a mod is not banning creativity at all, it is to make sure people won't try to create lolpatches anymore... Or are you saying one must make a lolpatch before making a good one? If our mod can tell the person why their patch is a lolpatch and they should do something else, then how is it bad for anyone?

A lolpatch topic is useless on our forum, a waste of time, and makes this all garbled.

You guys (especially BP) are seeing some extreme measures which no one ever said would happen. Did the sprites section became super strict and unfriendly when I made Cheetah and Zozma mods? I think not. And Zozma did clean.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Archael

February 13, 2009, 08:53:13 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zodiac"lolpatches are:

- unpopular and the creator relies on popularity to continue hacking; therefore PHAIL
- inactive... the topic is created and the patch maker will not do any progress until his/her topic has enough posts; therefore PHAIL
- the creator wants to make his/her personal patch, and doesn't care for other's opinion; therefore PHAIL

So let me get to the point:
Personally I, and I'm sure others, don't read the New Projects section anymore because it's so full of lolpatches and finding a good patch in that looks like hell.
How is that any worse than using a lolpatch radar to handle the currently existing lolpatches and other patches as well?

The point of having a mod is not banning creativity at all, it is to make sure people won't try to create lolpatches anymore... Or are you saying one must make a lolpatch before making a good one? If our mod can tell the person why their patch is a lolpatch and they should do something else, then how is it bad for anyone?

A lolpatch topic is useless on our forum, a waste of time, and makes this all garbled.

You guys (especially BP) are seeing some extreme measures which no one ever said would happen. Did the sprites section became super strict and unfriendly when I made Cheetah and Zozma mods? I think not. And Zozma did clean.

thank you

I should sig this entire thing but it's too long

HatterMadigan

February 13, 2009, 09:27:52 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by HatterMadigan
SentinalBlade, you are so right. Well, you are right in saying that it was just a script. It was. It was an idea that I had and was fascinated with. And I totally respect your decision if you don't support me. But this isn't going to be just a script, or an 'lolpatch'. Even if it takes me 5 years, or 10, I -will- finish this. And yet, you are somewhat wrong... or maybe it was my screwy typing skills :)

Cheetah

February 13, 2009, 10:42:29 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Thank you Bastardpoetry for saying so elegantly what I have been thinking ever since the term "lolpatch" started cropping up around here. Just know that I support everything BP has said and will likely ever say on this topic. One of the main reasons I am here is to help people learn, build the community, and been learning more about how this game works. If someone has put effort (and I don't really care how much) into something FFT related then I don't really care if they post in the project section. If I have time I will look at it, if it looks interesting, then I will keep looking at it, and if it doesn't interest me then I can stop looking at it.

I could say a lot more on this topic, but BP is already saying it. The fact that members of this community are mocking the effort that other people are putting forth is really sad and pathetic. Do we really need to e reminded that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."?
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

February 13, 2009, 11:00:03 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Once again, Voldemort, you missed the point entirely.

Zodiac, you missed it too, as far as what I'm saying versus what I'm fighting about. Look at the results of that poll I created, read what Zozma, philsov and Lasting Dawn (EDIT: and now Cheetah) have posted, and look at where we're coming from. That's all it is: A call for maturity on the boards.

My fight with Voldemort is something else entirely.

I started this thread as a way of saying yes, there is a problem here, a moderator is needed, but it's not going to be solved by terrorizing every new idea that comes along and labeling it a lolpatch. Voldemort and Asmo have become thugs, and their endless complaining about lolpatches and their zealous desire to kick anyone with an idea is not going to improve this community. I have not, at any point, said that taking administrative action, as Zodiac has done, is going to lead to the stifling of creativity. Quite the opposite, in fact. His new sticky topic is EXACTLY what I wanted to see.

I'm seeing "extreme measures," as Zodiac put it, with Voldemort's attitude and proposed solution. I don't think Asmo should be the moderator if the result is destroying any idea he deems unworthy. I think they have a thug approach that is too extreme. Someone could have a great plan, plenty of resources and ambition and all to create a sequel to FFVII using the FFT engine, and they could have amazing success with it, but Asmo could destroy it before it even really starts because he doesn't like FFVII. My point is that the rules should apply to every New Project, objectively; not the ideas that they think are worthy versus the ideas they think aren't.

Which is, again, EXACTLY what Zodiac has done. (Regarding his post; that's what I wanted, Voldemort. It's amazing how you took his post here and presented it as though that somehow showed me up).

The point about Curu: She left because her presence here caused extreme horndogism and jokes about her on the Spam board and, if I had to guess, she was repulsed by the immaturity.

That was my way of saying: Voldemort, quit lulzing for a fucking second and realize that there are consequences to your actions. You think it'd be funny to watch Asmo tear new project ideas to pieces; your nomination has nothing to do with the belief that he'd actually clean up the board with objectivity and rationality.

Hell, I don't even want to see Asmo put into the position of having to deal with moderation objectively and rationally. He's too good at tearing people up with blunt honesty. He'd absolutely HATE having to be an objective moderator.

Anyways, I can't keep doing this. Voldemort, I'm not trying to get the last word against you. I didn't even start this with the intention of fighting with you. But if you keep treating me like an antagonist, I'll keep responding to you like one. All I ask is that you read what I'm saying, and understand where I'm coming from. If you can respond to that, I'll continue. If you can't, then I won't continue trying to reason with you. It's too much like fighting with someone who plugs his ears and says "I can't hear you!"
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Archael

February 13, 2009, 11:05:19 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Cheetah"Thank you Bastardpoetry for saying so elegantly what I have been thinking ever since the term "lolpatch" started cropping up around here. Just know that I support everything BP has said and will likely ever say on this topic. One of the main reasons I am here is to help people learn, build the community, and been learning more about how this game works. If someone has put effort (and I don't really care how much) into something FFT related then I don't really care if they post in the project section. If I have time I will look at it, if it looks interesting, then I will keep looking at it, and if it doesn't interest me then I can stop looking at it.

I could say a lot more on this topic, but BP is already saying it. The fact that members of this community are mocking the effort that other people are putting forth is really sad and pathetic. Do we really need to e reminded that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."?

You and BP both don't see lolpatch as a problem, (or perhaps you guys are way too nice to "fix" the problem if it involves killing other people's ideas)

you'd prefer to just leave things as are and hope for rainbows

I understand not everyone likes change

but I agree strongly with what Zodiac just said on this topic

and if this forum gets a moderator (asmo or someone else) the problem will have been addressed in my eyes

dwib

February 13, 2009, 11:14:44 pm #39 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:16:06 pm by dwib
Quote from: "bastardpoetry"FFH spirals into the nightmare reality of too many great ideas being worked on by too many people, then Voldemort will be the first person I apologize to for allowing things to get that bad.

We should stop them all now, surely.

This is extremely well said. lolpatch is an annoyance and ultimately degrades the site as a whole. how can a community be respected when 1/100 POSTED AND STATED ideas are actually good and worked on seriously?

i've worked on 3 lolpatches that i kept to myself because they suck or fail and i'm just trying to learn how to use the patcher more efficiently. people are posting their own ideas for attention and because they just wanna be cool and have their own forum section