• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:29:57 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Oracle's or Beowulf's spells: What should I cut?

Started by Timbo, November 19, 2013, 08:19:30 pm

Timbo

I'm working on a WotL patch. I'm not really talking about it much right now, as its still a little ways off. If enough people like it, I'll balance it and continue to update it until I'm satisfied.

Right now, I'm at a crossroads. I'm creating new graphics for abilities and I'm unsure of what to cut.  I need as many opinions as possible. I completely changed Beowulf's Job. Instead of being a single target super Oracle he's a combination Templar/Parivir. Now, there is no need for two sets of similar looking abilities. So, one set is going to get cut in order to grow the effects pool.

The Mystic Spells are gorgeous. All of those spirits meld into the graphics quite well. My plans up until today were to keep them, and cut Beowulf's. The problem is they are really slow and bloated. Cutting these would allow me to add big spells like Flood, the Blood Gigas Summon, and unique sword skills for the Dark Knight. This would of course send me back to the drawing board for awhile, and delay patch progress for a week or two.

The Beowulf Spells on the other hand are downright bland in comparison. Some of the spells move too fast and others are lacking. Zombie and Chicken in particular are simple puffs of colored smoke. Cutting these adds room for simple spells and one or two of the smaller sword skills.

What would you do?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

formerdeathcorps

Can you give a spell list of what the two choices are?  I can't really decide this in the abstract without more concrete data.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Timbo

I'm actually referring to their entire spell lists. Since they are essentially duplicate lists of spells, It wastes crucial ability slots for nearly the same functionality to maintain both. Although honestly, I've kind of all ready decided on cutting the Oracle effects rather than the Beowulf ones. The length of the Oracle spell effects get pretty tedious after awhile.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo