• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFTA2 Text Editor, Feedback wanted.

Started by DeSgeretjin, May 06, 2018, 05:51:09 am

DeSgeretjin

May 06, 2018, 05:51:09 am Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:33:24 am by DeSgeretjin
Holler if you guys want a stand alone text translator.
Although the editor makes a backup, rom editing can always wreck things, so don't forget to make your own backups.
Currently this edits: Abilities, Jobs, Commands and equipment so speak up if you want other things to be edited.
If you see #~# and stuff in the descriptions, that is normal because FFTA2 uses weird stuff to end their lines and text blocks and removing those would break stuff.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Zeke_Aileron

Does this also include Item names and item descriptions?
  • Discord username: Zeke Aileron™#0606

Eternal

May 06, 2018, 11:14:46 am #2 Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:52:38 am by Eternal
Don't have the chance to test it just yet, but this is great! One of the things that's taken so long for me is editing all text by hex, so this is a great tool.

@Zeke: Looks like it can edit item names and descriptions.

Thank you for your hard work on this!

EDIT: Looks like it works, but it cuts off the first letter on the second line, as seen here: https://imgur.com/a/TyyBcax

How do I go about fixing that? Thanks again!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

DeSgeretjin

Can't seem to replicate your bug, tested it on your mod as shown:
https://imgur.com/a/KPL7fWU
I added an 'A' to the second line of nosada and seems to work just fine.

Zeke_Aileron

@Eternal, Yeah i saw, it's pretty good.

@DeSgeretjin : I love the editor even though for my mod i had to start with a completely clean FFTA2 rom since i did a lot of Hex editing and using strings that your Editor doesn't recognize like + and Down Arrow so it just crashes my Mod when i try to load it lol, but it's ok since with the text editor i'm able to just speed through changing all the text first and then i'll go back into hex editing animations and such.

Thank you for the editor.  :D

DeSgeretjin

@Zeke Wow i think you used the only two symbols I didn't encode for, i had the → and ↑ and all the weird é stuff done.
If you'd tell me what hex ↓  and + and other symbols that you'd like to use, I'll add those in.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on May 07, 2018, 09:33:31 pm
@Zeke Wow i think you used the only two symbols I didn't encode for, i had the → and ↑ and all the weird é stuff done.
If you'd tell me what hex ↓  and + and other symbols that you'd like to use, I'll add those in.

I don't know the hex for +, but i do have the hexes for the other's i'll list them here for you:

98 =  ♪ or was it ♫
9D = TM
99 = ↓
9A = ←

DeSgeretjin

Editor updated with more symbols encoded.
Also now comes with a Command list builder.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on May 10, 2018, 10:04:00 am
Editor updated with more symbols encoded.
Also now comes with a Command list builder.

Nice, this is amazing, also with the updated text editor my previous mod doesn't crash when trying to load it up, so i'll take your advice and go ahead and copy and paste all my text edits from the fresh rom over to my mod.

Thank you.  :D

DeSgeretjin

Zeke_Aileron

May 16, 2018, 10:22:56 am #10 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:53:45 pm by Zeke_Aileron
After testing the editor with the new bugfix installed, i can say the Enemy Formation part of the editor is very good and stable, trying to work through my mod as quick as possible to finish it out, thank you for these editors.  :D

Do you have any plans on what other sections to the editor you might add?

DeSgeretjin

@Zeke Anything you want? Got nothing planned for now.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on May 17, 2018, 03:31:33 am
@Zeke Anything you want? Got nothing planned for now.

I'm currently interested in a Clan Trials/Clan Privileges Editor, not how it'll work though.

Here's the offsets for them if they're correct i think.

Clan Privilege Pointers (10 bytes)
02AA5374
02AA5607

Clan Privileges (? Bytes):
02AA5608
02AA58DF

Law Bonuses:
02AA5600

Law Bonus Descriptions:
02AE2CF0

Clan Titles:
02A9E2DD

DeSgeretjin

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on May 17, 2018, 07:17:50 am
Those are just text.

Ok, what about this chart data from Lennart's notes then, it shows the mission data and rewards like loot, exp gain, ap gain, and job unlocks.

So would this also have the data for the clan privilege(s) unlocks in it to edit?

BearPRIME

Wanted to check out the editor but I can't seem to get it to work.  I get "a java exception has occured" error and I dont know how to fix it.  Am I doing something wrong or am I just dumb.

It can be both...

DeSgeretjin

Quote from: BearPRIME on May 19, 2018, 01:39:28 pm
Wanted to check out the editor but I can't seem to get it to work.  I get "a java exception has occured" error and I dont know how to fix it.  Am I doing something wrong or am I just dumb.

It can be both...

Can you describe exactly what you did?

BearPRIME

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on May 20, 2018, 05:22:40 am
Can you describe exactly what you did?

UPdated Java. now works. Thanks IQ+1

Kuro

October 01, 2018, 06:07:43 am #18 Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:38:10 am by Shokat
Hey, your tool is amazing and really useful but in my mod I need about 70 additional slots. Making a total of 793 in Text Editor. Is there a way to get that through hex editor? 

Edit: I found a method so I don't need more slots, also it seems not possible.

kowalskiy

Hi, i was wondering if you could find your starting party in the formation editor. I have checked plenty of them but to no avail.

Thanks in advance