• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:13:58 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Japanese Spriting

Started by Cheetah, April 29, 2010, 03:23:02 am

Kagebunji

I got them from the site Kyo posted, there are more of them there.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

Ah. I looked through those--I guess I was thinking they were from a different site. There's this FFT role-playing forum somewhere, and some of those guys have phenomenal portraits.

MasterGrand

I like face girl who is like Gefrains it is perty cool  :D
Let's be together !!

BaitySM

Hm. This topic caught my attention. So I went fishing about a bit on Pixiv, and found a certain user (note, account required) that goes by the name 'natu'. Sound familiar? It should, check the OP! He has three more FFT-related works. Well, more like two-and-a-half because there's some overlap. Wait, make that three-and-a-half because he has a drawn Female Mime in there as well (will upload on request). Now to prevent hassle, I'm not going to link directly to the pictures as you would all require accounts to see them (well, signing up isn't hard even if you can't read Japanese but it's still annoying regardless). So with that said:

(click to enlarge in case it wasn't really obvious)

There are other works that I've found in there, such as a Squall spritesheet, an FF7 one with which various character portraits and a Red Mage with a 'standing' sprite. I'm under the impression that you guys already have the spritesheet based on discussion from me lurking around a bit, the FF7 portraits and the Red Mage are decent at best (though, this is entirely my opinion) so I'll leave them out for the time being.
For the curious, I did a search on the tags 'FFT' and 'ドット絵' (lit. Dot Picture) which roughly translates to Pixel Picture or something like that. A search for "スプライト" (lit. sprite) returned one irrelevant result.

...that War Chocobo put a priceless smile on my face by the way.

Cheetah

Great finds Baity. The problem is that we have found a lot of this stuff over time and then they are spread through all sorts of different threads. If you wanted to post the other stuff as pics and then links too I will put it all in the first topic. So the FF7 stuff would be good too.
Current Projects:

mav

Whoa, that's all by one user? Phenomenal. I say post everything; at the very least, we'll have something to gawk at.

Kagebunji

Yup, and who knows, someone might even wrap a sprite for it...but it is unlikely haha.

R999

Wow that Pixiv service is like a Art Tweeter service in Japan. Pretty neat, they even have an iphone app. Maybe I could look up Pixel-related stuff for inspiration on the go here. Thanks for the site!

Found some not-so interesting stuff there on my iPhone: (You cannot use these without permissions of the authors)

Lijj

Are  those characters in the 3rd down made by Square? Or is this guy of the Mime class? I wanna try that sometime soon with a whole new job class; In that style.
  • Modding version: PSX

BaitySM

Quote from: "R999"Wow that Pixiv service is like a Art Tweeter service in Japan.
I'd say it's more like dA, though I can't really backup this claim. As is standard, if you're going to look through, expect varying qualities of work.

Quote from: "R999"(You cannot use these without permissions of the authors)
This is probably a given already. Most artists on Pixiv will give you the thumbs up to use their images after asking though.

Quote from: "Lijj"Are  those characters in the 3rd down made by Square? Or is this guy of the Mime class? I wanna try that sometime soon with a whole new job class; In that style.
All made by the same person. Of note (because I forgot to mention it), the second and third ones were tagged with '光の4戦士' a.k.a. 'Four Warriors of Light'.

Ok, so...
This was marked under RPGMaker (well, RPGMakerRTP to be exact) so I can safely assume that's the source for the 'base'. Doesn't look like what a FFT portrait 'should' look like (I'm talking about style) but it's still nice in my opinion.
Red Mage! Standing sprite looks a bit weird to me, but the portrait is nice. And yes, the original is that small as well; so this only works as a reference image.
Hm. Hetalia sure is popular. Guess I'll nag FFM to pass m- oh wait I already did.
Pokemon-related. No, really. HGSS, etc.
Worth a mention. This one was tagged with 'リューサン', and also appears to come from FF11 after a bit of digging around. Why I'm seeing a lot of pairing pictures with Mystia when doing a search on said tag is beyond me. Hm. Hmm. I do believe I'm missing a part of the picture here. Oh well.
So is this. Looks a bit strange though. For the curious.
Standard? Looks alright though.
Unfortunately, this isn't the entire cast. Oh, and AC!Cloud. Don't know what to make of the swords to the side. But hey, at least it's something.
The Squall spritesheet I'm pretty sure everybody has seen at some point. If not, then behold!

I've left off a few of them (count: 3-4). There was also one FFTA-style 'set' of standing sprites from Etrian Odyssey (II). I say this because of the colours used.

Kagebunji

Man, you completely screwed uploading, when I downloaded that Squall shet and FF7 ports and wanted to look closely, but everything just screwed up, all was fuzzy and blooby. Reupload it again, but as PNG this time, okay?  Other than that, they look great.

Cheetah

Great finds! I know I have never seen all those FFVII portraits and sprites, and the Squall is the best version I have seen. Very good contributions.
Current Projects:

BaitySM

Quote from: "Kagebunji"Man, you completely screwed uploading, when I downloaded that Squall shet and FF7 ports and wanted to look closely, but everything just screwed up, all was fuzzy and blooby. Reupload it again, but as PNG this time, okay?  Other than that, they look great.
I'm not seeing the problem with either one; and the Squall sheet was already in .PNG .

However, as a just in case kind of thing have an ImageShack upload for those two:
http://img32.imageshack.us/i/4638273.png/
http://img169.imageshack.us/i/3971069.png/

jimmyjw88

These are just great!! Great finds!! Love the portraits!! Those FFVII portraits look really great, especially Vincent. Very nice.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

Hm, now I can look closely. Squall definitly looks great, we have better portrait though, Seushiro did one. FF7 port's are nice, but Cloud and Zack are better on our site IMO. Sephiroth is definitly better than our current one(I am talking about portrait), I never liked those white things on Seph's face in Smash's concept(I know it is hair, but looks uber weird to me). About Tifa, hmm, I dunno, both are good, if we were to make her more happy on this version, I would definitly take it. Vincent is better too, we should resubmit him again with this portrait. Yuffie is good too.

Lijj

That green haired sprite reminds me of my own Terra. It's thief basedand has  green hair. Mine is more customized version of female thief though. Different collar and shorts.
Great portraits; I like the Yufi most.
  • Modding version: PSX

mav

Interesting stuff. For the most part, most of these look like edits, but they're still good. I actually like those RPGMakerRTP portraits a lot. Thanks for posting all these goodies.

jimmyjw88

Quote from: "Kagebunji"FF7 port's are nice, but Cloud and Zack are better on our site IMO.
Haha. Well, my brother said theirs/he(?) is better. Lol.
QuoteSephiroth is definitly better than our current one(I am talking about portrait), I never liked those white things on Seph's face in Smash's concept(I know it is hair, but looks uber weird to me).
Smash has made such amazing portraits but I have to agree with Kage on this one. The Sephiroth's hair kinda not working for me.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Miroshi Beshima

Is it just me or does that Tifa portrait look oddly familiar? Reminds me of the Garnet portrait someone did or something, i think...maybe not...but idk i swear ive seen it before somewhere on this forum or something smilar....maybe its just the style of shading...ugh idk XD. And i love their tifa sprite! XD Way better than mine

Cheetah

Quote from: "Miroshi Beshima"Is it just me or does that Tifa portrait look oddly familiar? Reminds me of the Garnet portrait someone did or something, i think...maybe not...but idk i swear ive seen it before somewhere on this forum or something smilar....maybe its just the style of shading...ugh idk XD. And i love their tifa sprite! XD Way better than mine

I'm assuming you are joking considering all the attempt that were made, especially you, to reproduce this exact portrait.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=762&start=140

I suppose they are a little different, but very similar, even to the earring.
Current Projects: