• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:14:03 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

Eternal

@Blanky: That was my initial thought- equipment changes- but most gear hasn't been substantially changed in terms of ATK.

@Dragoon: Forbidden: Holy also affects -anything- Holy elemental, including Cure/Cura/Curaga/Life/Full-Life/Arise.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bcrobert

@Eternal: You should go ahead and release the level scale fix asap. I'd put everything else on hold until we know what specific thing is causing such disproportionate damage differences.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Eternal

Updated the first post (and attached to this one) is 0.992. It fixes Doubleshot, Demi, Quarter, and (hopefully) level scaling as well as fixing the laws for Emerald Keep and a few other fights while nerfing Magic Wood and Antilaws. Remember to patch a clean ROM!
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

thedarkfiddler

Quote from: Eternal on March 17, 2015, 09:35:19 pm
It fixes... Level scaling as well as fixing the laws for Emerald Keep and a few other fights while nerfing Magic Wood and Antilaws. Remember to patch a clean ROM!

Cool!

Quote from: Eternal on March 17, 2015, 09:35:19 pm
It fixes..., Demi, Quarter...

Aww... Guess it was bound to happen. Super Demi was great while it lasted.

Eternal

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find plenty of other ridiculously broken things in GG! :P

thedarkfiddler

Oh, I'm sure. But I'm a simple man. Jumping Stopped enemies was so fun.

DragoonTT

The new level scaling kinda crippled the difficulty. Breezed through the earliest missions, up to and including Eluut. Monsters still hit fairly hard, but die much more quickly now

The only thing that gave me some trouble was Raven's Call, or whatever that mission is called, with the Paladin/Black Mage combo. Very high variance on level in there - with an average level of 4, they can be 2/2 and 8/8.

Rest of the missions is usually underleveled, since I can't manage to keep an even level spread (mainly due to Marche/Montblanc not being able to gain abilities off dispatch missions, and my early recruit Beastmaster being kinda useless up to Eluut).

Also, reporting bugs:
- when Whirlwind hits too many targets (not sure about the exact number, but I think it's 5 or more) the game stops resolving the skill at the end of damage distribution. It doesn't freeze - running animations continue to play - but the game stops working, e.g. moving into exp distribution.
- Mug has some weird interactions. Seems to ignore Armor (just dealt sizeable damage to a flan) or maybe calculates off Magic Defense instead. Anyway, it's just not consistent with weapon damage dealt to the same target in many cases. Also, I'm pretty sure it sometimes triggers Counter and sometimes doesn't.

Eternal

Thanks for the feedback so far! I imagine level scaling is going to take a while to mesh out. I'm ultimately not too concerned though- I'd much rather something be easier than harder. Remember, too, that monsters haven't had their stats changed since my initial changes, so once RRS gets back to me, monster stats will be tweaked heavily.

Whirlwind's bug is a strange one. I'm guessing it's just too much for the game to handle, but there were abilities that hit all enemies at once. Strange.

Mug has been fixed. Because of how things used to be, there are two "Mug" skills- one used by Moogles and one used by Humes. The one Mug was marked as Physical, the other was not. That was pre-AIO times when we thought the world was flat! ;)

EDIT: Green Magic is getting a slight buff in the near future. Esunaga/Dispelga's MP costs are reduced, and I may reduce Protectga/Shellga to 15 MP each. In terms of Haste/Hastega, Haste's MP cost will be raised to 15 and Hastega's reduced to 25. Thoughts?

DragoonTT

New bug report:
Mog Aid - which I guess is supposed to be a Moogle version of Revive from the tooltip - has range 0 and is hence unusuable

Edits:
- Beastmaster Skill "Malboro", learned by Aona Flute, has no skill name
- Mog Lance doesn't Drain HP, just deals damage equal to a normal attack at range 1, so a glorified attack command (it's only useful against Strikeback)
- Reavers cannot equip Shields, even though Shields list Morpher (Reaver) as potential users and the Round Shield supposedly teaches Shieldbearer to Morphers (Reavers)
- Adrammalech's "Loss" skill seems to never hit, ever
- the sprite of the Mediator from the "Help Aisen" mission sometimes disappears (might be a general Mediator problem, never seen/used any not a general problem, Mediator in Wanted: Gabbana Brothers works fine)
- the Weapon "Osafune" doesn't teach the skill "Osafune" to Samurai
- Myrmidon skill "Crush" seems to never cause Blind or anything else, even tho the "Sweet Spot" message appears
- Bomb/Blue Mage skill "Blowup" only ever deals 29 damage

Eternal

DragoonTT

I can totally see now why you nerfed Mateus. Dunno how I did it on my first attempt - he probably never used Apocalypse - but on .992, it was the second really difficult main quest fight (after the Salikawood one which is still hard after the nerf and level scaling change).

Apocalypse is just painful, dealing about 1/3 to 1/2 to everybody. Used magic/totema to empty all vampire's mana pools so they can't miasma, gave everybody dark and some frost resistance to avoid Drain Touch and Mateus' Blizzard and Freeze. Immunity to Stop was also useful. Dunno how I would have done this fight pre law change - maybe using absorb elementals to heal up

Also, new bugs crawling in:
- Moogle Dual Wield (learned as Juggler) doesn't work

Eternal

I'll try and pick these off one by one:

-Malboro has been a bug that has persisted for ages now and I haven't a clue why. There's no reason for it to be happening, and I don't quite know how to go about fixing it.

-Mog Lance -should- be working correctly. Have you used it after you were wounded? If so, you probably were healed and there was just no animation of it. That said, it -will- be buffed to be weapon range instead of 1 Range. Currently it's just Steal: HP with a different name.

-Reavers should be able to use Shields. Again, there's literally no reason why that should be happening. Everything is properly marked in AIO... not sure why that'd happen.

-Loss seems flagged correctly. Did you have Immune: Confuse gear equipped?

-The Mediator bug is probably sprite-related. What skill did it use before it vanished?

-Osafune should hopefully be fixed for .993.

-Crush inflicts Slow, not Blind. If the skill inflicts damage, it has (100 - Enemy Debuff Resistance)% chance to proc Slow. This holds true for any skill with a status proc.

-Blowup's bug is... weird. It'll likely be completely reworked for .993 at any rate.

-Not sure why Dual Wield wouldn't work. Maybe Blanky/Darth would have an idea.

Sorry, I know this post isn't too reassuring. Thanks for bringing these all to my attention though.

DragoonTT

Quote from: Eternal on March 20, 2015, 07:36:04 pm
-Mog Lance -should- be working correctly. Have you used it after you were wounded? If so, you probably were healed and there was just no animation of it. That said, it -will- be buffed to be weapon range instead of 1 Range. Currently it's just Steal: HP with a different name.

You're right, it's just the HP gaining animation that doesn't play. Hadn't thought of checking that, sorry.

-Loss seems flagged correctly. Did you have Immune: Confuse gear equipped?

Pretty certain I didn't, especially not by accident on my whole team. The skill persistently had a 0% chance to hit on everybody

-The Mediator bug is probably sprite-related. What skill did it use before it vanished?

The first action the Mediator takes vanishes his sprite. Attacking, using a skill, being attacked etc

-Crush inflicts Slow, not Blind. If the skill inflicts damage, it has (100 - Enemy Debuff Resistance)% chance to proc Slow. This holds true for any skill with a status proc.

Okay, I'll check for that. Slow/Haste caused by Myrmidon and Samurai skills never show the status notification and don't violate related laws, so I thought the tooltip for Crush was correct and it was supposed to cause Blind instead. Thanks for clarification

And a new report:
- There's something wrong with the Help: Materiawood map. The game sometimes freezes, crashes etc - white screen, black screen, frozen screen all happened after a few turns. Can't quite tie it to a certain action yet.
- "Engagement", probably the Assassin Combo skill, is on a staff-type weapon (Dreamwatcher) and hence unacquireable
- Bard skill "Rime" has no tooltip and can't be targeted at anything

chocolatemoose

Eternal,

Can you provide any guidelines on how monster capture should work? I've tried to use a Hunter to capture a couple different monsters in critical condition (bombs, goblins) but when I use the Capture skill it says a 0% chance of success (it's usually around 10-20% when the monster isn't in critical condition).

Is this a bug with GG? I never bothered using Morphers in my regular FFTA playthroughs, so I don't have a frame of reference.

Eternal

@Dragoon:

-I'll investigate the Materiawood and Engagement issues. Rime is bugged currently (it's supposed to restore MP), but it's being dealt with.

@Chocolate:

Straight from the vanilla FFTA guide:

"apture is a useful ability, not only does it capture a monster for your
monster bank, and give you souls to use with your morpher, but it also removes
an enemy from the battlefield. Capturing monsters is also a prerequisite for
mission #100 (fiend run). In order to get that mission you MUST capture at
least 5 monsters, and then the operator of the monster bank will post a request
in the pub after you visit him. Now in order to use capture, several things
must happen, most obviously you need the capture ability. In order to use this
ability correctly, it can only be used on injured monsters (i.e. they cannot
have full health). Now don't be discouraged when you do this, the maximum
percentage you'll ever get for catching a monster is 24%. Just as another side
note, sleep, stop, blind and the direction you attack from have no effect on
the percentage to capture a monster. The way this percentage works is based on
the percentage of life remaining on the monster, at half health you'll have
12%. (If you really wanted to get technical, just take a monsters max hp and
divide by 24, this number is the amount of hp you have to take off in order to
get a 1% increase in your capture attempts). There are a few special cases for
capturing monsters:
> Any undead monster (zombies, vampires) cannot be captured.
> Any rockbeast monster (bladebiter, toughskin) cannot be captured.
> Any fairy monster (sprite, titania) cannot be captured.
> Any tonberry monster (tonberry, masterberry) cannot be captured.
> The monster you are catching cannot be the last enemy on the field.
> The monster you are trying to catch cannot be ko'd.
> The monster may be special, and in turn simply uncatchable."

bcrobert

Only animations already used by Drain etc will actually show the HP recovery in an animation. This is stored in the animations data, not in the skill data.

The Mediator thing is almost definitely sprite related. But it shouldn't be happening when he takes damage. Because that sprite definitely has a damaged animation. Eternal, what did you break?

I think shields had some sort of special unknown flag associated with them in a different structure? I seem to remember discussion to that effect a long, long time ago. Darthatron would probably know more, assuming he remembers. (It was like...literally years since this was last brought up.) I seem to remember the short-term solution was to make them all count as gloves so that players would have to choose between glove and shield. Actually that discussion might be from back when Darth was still on insanely derpy. OLD PROBLEM IS OLD.

When you say Dual-Wield "doesn't work" what exact super-specific thing do you mean? Like you have it equipped and it won't equip two knives? What weapon type(s) did you try to dual-wield? And just in case this is the problem, did you remember to equip it to a support slot in the menu while you're learning it?
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

DragoonTT

Got a bug similar to the Mediator one today - the sprite of the Reaver in the Gelp: Gotor Sands (at least I think it was that mission) disappeared after attacking. When the Reaver was supposed to die, the game stopped processing.

rrs_kai

Quote from: bcrobert on March 22, 2015, 01:32:31 am
Only animations already used by Drain etc will actually show the HP recovery in an animation. This is stored in the animations data, not in the skill data.

The Mediator thing is almost definitely sprite related. But it shouldn't be happening when he takes damage. Because that sprite definitely has a damaged animation. Eternal, what did you break?

I think shields had some sort of special unknown flag associated with them in a different structure? I seem to remember discussion to that effect a long, long time ago. Darthatron would probably know more, assuming he remembers. (It was like...literally years since this was last brought up.) I seem to remember the short-term solution was to make them all count as gloves so that players would have to choose between glove and shield. Actually that discussion might be from back when Darth was still on insanely derpy. OLD PROBLEM IS OLD.

When you say Dual-Wield "doesn't work" what exact super-specific thing do you mean? Like you have it equipped and it won't equip two knives? What weapon type(s) did you try to dual-wield? And just in case this is the problem, did you remember to equip it to a support slot in the menu while you're learning it?

Interestingly the breath attacks also show the HP recovery animation.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Ghostly_Life

Srry for my bad english, but i'm french.

For the job tree...

"Fighter      2 Soldier"

Unlocked for me with 3  soldier

--

"Ninja      4 Archer, 4 Thief"

Unlocked for me with  3archer & 3 thief

--

"Warrior   
Samurai   3 Warrior
Myrmidon   3 Samurai
Dragoon      3 Myrmidon"

I've unlock Dragoon with 3 warrior é_è
And i haven't the other job

--

"Time Mage   4 Black Mage"

Unlocked for me with  3 black mage

--

"Green Mage   4 White Mage"

Unlocked for me with  3 white mage

--

"Reaver      5 Beastmaster"

Unlocked for me with  4 beastmaster

I don't know if this problem was already report, i've not see it, so excuse me if it is already report.

btw, your patch is awesome.  ;)

chocolatemoose

Eternal,

That makes sense. What I've run into in GG is that I get a 0% success rate when I try to capture monsters who are in critical condition (i.e. less than 1/4 of max HP). I've specifically run into this with Bombs and Goblins.

However, they seem to have normal capture %s (10%-20%) when they're not in critical condition.

Can you investigate the critical capture %s? It doesn't seem to be working as designed.

EDIT: nevermind, it usually happens when it's the last monster on the field. Makes sense now, thanks!