• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:22:31 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Custom Sprites making/ inserting etc HOW TO

Started by karsten, January 14, 2008, 06:50:35 am

karsten

January 14, 2008, 06:50:35 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
You artists and hackers are all welcome posting here your tools, suggestions, resources, webpages, etc,etc.

also place for talking about your sprite's in-game problems and how to solve, hacking and whatever needed to have them going flawlessly.

karsten

trickstardude7

January 14, 2008, 07:31:47 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
Quote from: "karsten"You artists and hackers are all welcome posting here your tools, suggestions, resources, webpages, etc,etc.

also place for talking about your sprite's in-game problems and how to solve, hacking and whatever needed to have them going flawlessly.

karsten
very useful topic i would love to at least see some pictures or a video of custom sprites in game ^_^

Kyari

January 14, 2008, 05:28:21 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyari
There's not really anything to post that I can think of. FFTSprite allows you to extract/insert, but it's fairly pointless right now for anything other than palette swapping as none of the melee frames work.

Again the same issues are the reason there's not much point showing pictures/videos of custom sprites in game.

karsten

January 14, 2008, 06:23:54 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Kyari"There's not really anything to post that I can think of. FFTSprite allows you to extract/insert, but it's fairly pointless right now for anything other than palette swapping as none of the melee frames work.

Again the same issues are the reason there's not much point showing pictures/videos of custom sprites in game.

by the way, zodiac, what were you discoveries on the topic, and, what about hosting FFTsprite here on auritech.eu too?

Zozma

January 19, 2008, 03:03:08 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i have a few files id like to donate but how do i go about getting them to you?
i have another program besides cd mage that i like to use alot more. i really cant remember who gave it to me but i just had it called "cdprog" also if no one knows where to find snespal for editing palettes id like to just send that one as well. and also id like to give out my teta sprite to anyone who wants it. where can i send that stuff? i didnt make any of them myself (except the teta sprite of course) so i take no credit for that but id love to help by sharing this stuff.

there is a point to editing the sprites if you want to make all mage jobs. you can make human enemies that cant use attack commands at all if you equip them with something that has no range, others who dont hack would never know the sprite is incomplete. i hope to make an enemy with the "???" status that fights with non-charge and regenerates mp mwahaha.

by the way, look under the topic "palette colors" the second post on that page shows some screenshots of my custom in game stuff.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

January 19, 2008, 05:31:59 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Your stuff definitely looks good Zozma. I think any contributions you would have would be good ones. I did you use to do the Teta video?
Current Projects:

Zozma

January 19, 2008, 09:23:45 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
how did i make the video? hmm it was some recording option on epsxe but it doesnt record sound? i guess? :(

but i did some hex editing to make her status that of a mage and removed auto dead so i would never have to use gs codes to make her useful. gave her a cool custom skillset. but for the video i gs'ed her to use that spell cause hey, i think by now everyone knows that Algus deserved a more painful death eh?

Cheetah

January 19, 2008, 11:26:29 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
It was most certainly sweet and deserved. I sure hate Algus, but I read this article on rpgamer.com once that did an amazing job of exploring the motivation of Algus, it was really impressive.

But anyways, what spelled did Teta use at the end? I didn't recognize it.
Current Projects:

Zozma

January 20, 2008, 07:01:10 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
that spell is from the "Dimension Magic" set and is called "Melt"
the first time it was a spell in an ff game was probably ff3/6 "Merton"

3 other spells come with it, "Quake", "Tornado", "Meteor". (they should have given a water spell instead of the already existing meteor.. sigh)

Xifanie

January 20, 2008, 10:48:48 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Hashmalum commonly uses Meteor & Merton...

You just killed him too fast.

Stop using Orlandu. >_>'
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

January 20, 2008, 12:20:15 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i took out meteor from that skill set. he likes using that over the others as well. friggin ai.

By the way Zodiac, since this is pertaining to sprites. there is another topic to bring up. many might be ok with the fact that characters that dont normally join u look screwed up in the formation menu but im hoping that problem will be fixable later on. all im aware of is that there are a seperate set of portraits and a fake sprite for each menu character as well. they are stored in a .bin file such as eventchr or eventface or something like that... do you see a future in adding the missing "sprites" to the formation menu? i know for me its only for completeness sake but still...

Cheetah

January 20, 2008, 01:31:57 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
The site http://www.m-l.org/~greerga/fft/ has a description have practically everything on the FFT CD, including the chrent.bin and evtface.bin. However I can't figure out how he details how to open them. There must be so many goodies in those files and I want in them. Also has anyone figured out how to run his custom "Final Fantasy Tactics Utilities for Linux/Unix (requires GD library)"?
Current Projects:

Kyari

January 20, 2008, 06:17:51 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyari
Quote from: "karsten"You artists and hackers are all welcome posting here your tools, suggestions, resources, webpages, etc,etc.

karsten

To get back on topic I guess, I used to do the entire thing in Paint Shop Pro, since it has a decent array of tools and supports palette editing.

ultimate_kensuke

April 21, 2008, 02:13:16 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ultimate_kensuke
So i think i missed it. how can you insert new sprites into the game?

Kourama

April 22, 2008, 09:02:01 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
GraphicsGale kicks ass for Sprite Editing.

VincentCraven

May 20, 2008, 06:00:22 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Does anybody know where this character is used? (see below)

Alternatively, if I could find out how to reduce the size of my sprite (which is currently 45,766 bytes) then I would be able to use another base.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

LastingDawn

May 20, 2008, 06:19:53 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Souryo is the priest from the ending, odd that he's a complete sprite, Souryo itself means "Buddhist Priest" but all in all, he is pretty complete. I believe he shows up fine in the menu's but I can't recall, anyhow replacing him might not go well, it seems the priests all have really odd arms, Zalmo, that guy, Funeral, I believe all have different arms, of course I'm not actually sure about this, they may just be a different sprite type, which the new viewer can tell us more about.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

trickstardude7

May 20, 2008, 06:22:39 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
well in menu he replaces one of the Almas im pretty sure.

Xifanie

May 20, 2008, 11:48:03 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Problem is that we can't really use him to join the party... I don't remember WHICH job, but his "sprite set" is set on a generic job, thus will have that job as a main job and same for the skillset. So you can't mess with the skillset or stats without affecting a generic job any other character can become.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Lydyn

May 20, 2008, 11:52:16 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Quote from: "Zodiac"Problem is that we can't really use him to join the party... I don't remember WHICH job, but his "sprite set" is set on a generic job, thus will have that job as a main job and same for the skillset. So you can't mess with the skillset or stats without affecting a generic job any other character can become.

It'll be so nice once we're able to assign different sprite sets to things ...