• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Need Opinions on WotL Hacking

Started by Lorden Cain, March 13, 2016, 03:32:36 am

Lorden Cain

March 13, 2016, 03:32:36 am Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:16:01 pm by Lorden Cain
I had just registered in FFH but it's already been a year that I am passively viewing some topics here in this forum. And I'm currently working on my newbie hack using FFTPatcher. Many talks about WotL hacks being ignored had made me doubt my efforts though. I mean, should I finish it knowing that no one would even take the time to download it if it's done? Should I move my effort to hacking PSX instead? Am I really just wasting my time?

As a beginner to this kind of industry(?), it would made me feel I achieved something if I started with this simple version first. After that, I'm gonna step up my game. But there are two possible outcome: 1)I will be motivated to work on PSX [I perfectly knew how difficult it can be] or 2) I will be discouraged in pursuing hacking either versions.

Am I talking in circles? All I wanted to know is, are there still quite a number of people that are interested in new approach to WotL? Here's what I've already done:

- New whole sets of Job Classes and their own Descriptions
- New whole sets of Skills and their own Descriptions
- Changed All Equipment and Item: Names, Sprites, Effects and Descriptions
- Changed JP Costs and Job Requirements
- Changed how Status Effects works
- Changed Stat Growth and Stat Multiplier

And here's what I'm currently working on:

- Special Job and Monsters: Names, Skills, Stat Growth, Stat Multiplier and Descriptions
- Enemies on Random and Story Maps
- Skill Animations (this may be the only difficult thing in hacking the PSP version)
- Poacher's Den and Errands

Please let me know what you guys think. Either positive or negative.
  • Modding version: WotL
<Exdeath> : So, you offer your life in exchange for theirs?
<Kain Highwind> : Of course not, I offer yours!

Lorden Cain

Yes, you're right. I might have put so much heart and soul to it being my first project and all. I have read some of your replies to others' posts and I think you're rather kind to me. I mean, I do not mean it as an insult, it's more like an assurance for me that I think I've done something right. You made me realize that after this project, I'm going to learn every tutorials in PSX hacks and make one myself if it's feasibly possible to do so.

I've read in so many many many posts that it's very difficult to work on a decent PSX hack alone. But I have no choice really, I do not have consistent internet connection so I think I ought to learn most of it by myself. (Sounds rough :? ) But, whatever.

Maybe after seeing for myself how hard it would be to hack PSX, then I'll decide whether to target the few or the crowd (or both? if I am not underanalyzing).

Lastly, and personally, being honest is never rude so thank you for taking the time to reply.

Angel

Working on PSX is actually quite a bit easier, especially if your project has a wider scope. Actually, I'd say it's easier to mod PSX for even simple little job hacks, because you have the freedom to move formation sprites around and compensate for their changes.

An extensive project is difficult no matter which platform you're working with, just due to the fact that it is so time-consuming and daunting for a single person to tackle on their own. It's possible to argue PSP is easier just due to how many limitations there are, or that it's like sticking to a restrictive form of poetry, but no matter what you're trying to accomplish, it's easier (and in some cases only possible) to do it seamlessly on PSX.

If you've done as much as you have and share it and people find it interesting, it's entirely likely that you won't have to work on it or future projects alone, of course.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Lorden Cain

Oh, so I see. Yeah, that sounds right! I do have FFTorgASM hack which I have tried to some extent, but stupid me, I tried it in the PSP and it didn't work [I just took the chance, never quite believe everything I've read 'til I've tried]. But even so, I would like to try my hand on such extensive projects. Kinda like the Jot5? My writer's instinct is telling me to create my own FFT story, too.

Anyways, thanks for the time. I'm glad this community isn't dead and that I'm not too late in participating in this.

Lorden Cain

I had just made a late realization that ability effects are hardcoded in WotL. The Animations tab is for the Character Animation only (before casting, while casting, and after casting) and not the abilities themselves. That decrease my workload, though so I'm getting closer to finishing this project. Also I realized that I am not going to tweak everything in the Monster Classes so another decrease in workload.

I've gotten the little push that I needed so I'll consider this topic solved. Next time, I'm gonna flash another topic after this project and include vast info regarding the changes I've made. Thanks, everyone (even to those people who just increase the Read Counts).

Guru

Quote(even to those people who just increase the Read Counts).

No need to thank me just credit me in your mod  ;) just kidding of course lol.

anyways it's good to see you will continue and it will be neat to have a finished wotl mod out there. I haven't even been here that long but I gotta admit I even get annoyed at all the people coming in asking how to do *stuff* in wotl. It is nice to see you've made so much progress, on your own even, and I look forward to seeing it in the end!

Angel

I admit, I am particularly very harsh on WotL modders because they have a near 100% tendency to be completely inexperienced and have fantastical expectations for what they can do with WotL. No prior knowledge, no effort into looking at limitations, and convinced they can work magic with tools and features that don't exist and likely never will.

I don't want for WotL to just be discarded and never worked on again; that's a detriment to the community. But I do need for anyone wishing to work on WotL to know that they are extremely likely to fall into one of two camps: 1) you are limiting yourself severely and will likely not do anything to impress anyone, or; 2) you majestically have working knowledge of assembly level programming on no fewer than two platforms and high level emulation layer comprehension, and are basically the second coming of Jesus to the WotL community.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Lorden Cain

Maybe because I don't believe something magical til I know I can imitate it. Or maybe it is just my attitude: never in my life did I ask for help (except money from my parents). I study things on my own and do thing my own way, of course as long as there is a source of information I can find in the net. I am very diligent in researching things. Like, it's easier for me to search for things than to ask for it. It may seem prideful but I'm humble at the same time. And if ever I am asking for help, it's mostly opinions and reactions or such. Regarding my project, I do not perfectly think it would be so earth-shattering a project, but for me it looks awesome. And even while working on it, it feels awesome. I'm glad this place have bunch of supportive members in their own unique way. It makes it easier for me to travel alone knowing somebody's got my back (wow!). Now, I'm emotional! Just kidding XD I just get weary when I'm doing something no one would want or I'm doing something no one even cares. :mrgreen:

Currently, I am working on the Special Jobs and determining sprites in the ENTD that do not have strange action (so as to not making sprites look glitched when I change them, I hope you got what I meant).

Right now, I am limiting myself severely but I think this work can still impress some five or twenty out there (or just one? or maybe one hundred? let's see) :)
Quote from: Guru on March 18, 2016, 08:03:50 pm
I look forward to seeing it in the end!

Make sure because I'll hold you on to it. XD

Quote from: Angel on March 18, 2016, 11:00:57 pm
2) you majestically have working knowledge of assembly level programming on no fewer than two platforms and high level emulation layer comprehension, and are basically the second coming of Jesus to the WotL community.

Haha! XD Far from the truth. Second coming, lol