• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:58:01 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Where are the fonts use for dialogue/cutscene and how to edit them?

Started by Bazer, December 14, 2015, 09:54:30 pm

Bazer

Hi everybody. This is my first post.  :mrgreen:

I need to edit dialogue, cutscene fonts for translate this game (PSP version). But I cant find where they are, and which tool can edit them.

Actually I think this is a way: FFTPatcher-v0.352 can edit the font of ff tactic PS1 version, and I think if 2 games use same font then I just edit the ps1 font and copy paste by hex to the file of PSP version that contained the font, which is I heard that is BOOT.bin.

But I have 2 problems:
1. After using FFTPatcher-v0.352, apply patch ISO. The ISO's date modified. But the FONT.bin inside it still wrote 1997, which I though it have to change to 2015?
2. I copy paste modified FONT.bin to BOOT.bin. BOOT.bin actually contained FONT.bin (start at 27B80C). But rebuild the ISO, test by PSP emulator, the font still havent changed.

So my question is:
1. Do FFTPatcher-v0.352 really change PS1 font successfully?
2. Dialogue font of PSP really inside BOOT.bin? If yes what did I do wrong?
3. Since PS1 version doesnt have cutscene, where is cutscene font of PSP version and how to edit it?

Thanks for any help. I ll love that.  :mrgreen:

Xifanie

You will definitely want to read this: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10280.0

On that note, because you want to translate the game... you have to edit the source, meaning you'll be stuck with newer versions of FFTactext. I can't guarantee newer versions patch WotL properly as we tend to recommend .457 as the safe version. Newer versions have this bug where you should not use quickedit in the program... otherwise might be safe but I can't guarantee it.

1) Yes? I mean, maybe. I know some really old versions were not importing new font files... might be one of them. Don't use that version.
2) No clue.
3) Wouldn't you have to edit the raw video files for that? I've never seen a video game load a font over pure video data... it's always part of the video itself.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Bazer

Aha. There is a man replied my topic.  :mrgreen:
Okay I can edit the text by Event_Decompiler_and_Compiler. Now its just font problem left.
BOOT.bin has 2 fonts, I tried to random change them for test, the game still didnt change a bit. Wonder which file actually affect game's dialogue font...
I dont use that Tactext tool.
Sorry but its still unclear to me. Need more help.  :cry:

Bazer

Oh my god.
Its in EBOOT.BIN not BOOT.BIN. @@
Okay I ll take more time. But the 3 still dont know anything, yes, if someone know how to edit the video please let me know thank you.

Xifanie

*woman

the PSX version has font in 3 files:

• BATTLE.BIN (events/battles)

• WORLD.BIN (formation/world map)

• FONT.BIN (forever unused)

I don't know where's what in WotL.

You're not using Tactext?
...why would you even use FFTPatcher? It doesn't even edit text.
I recommend using Tactext because some sections of text forces compression (zip-like format), and unless you want to code it yourself, you'll have to use Tactext.

This page should be useful: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Font
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Bazer

Update: The dialogue font problem is done. I understand all the things now.
Now just the cutscene font left. Xifanie you have the point, seem like the text is a part of the video. I saw inside movie folder .pmf files. Are they cutscenes? If yes how can I edit .pmf files?

Bazer

Update: Can easily open and watch them by gomplayer.  :shock:

But how can I edit pmf videos?  :|

Angel

There's nobody here who actually mods and is knowledgeable of WotL to answer your question, sorry. Our knowledge base is almost entirely in the PlayStation version. All I could find on Google were locked threads and this youtube video on how to create PMF videos for PSP, but I have no idea how WotL would behave with custom videos.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Bazer

Not a single one knows about this???
I google so hard but still cant find the real solution.

Angel

Honestly, nobody who wants to touch WotL is capable of learning how to do so. Everyone who is capable doesn't want to touch WotL because PSX FFT is more accessible, and much less difficult to work with. So, quite literally, nobody here knows how to do what you are trying to accomplish.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Bazer

The PSX version is totally inferior to PSP version. :/
The cutscenes say it loud and clear.
I luv those art cutscenes. \:mrgreen:/

Xifanie

Quote from: Bazer on December 17, 2015, 10:35:56 am
The PSX version is totally inferior to PSP version. :/

Good luck.

Bazer

Ops, forgot to say. One more thing makes PSP ver better than PS1 ver is the english dialogues are more accuracy than PS1 ver. It's very good to me since what I am doing is translating this game.
Anyway, Im still waiting for a way to deal with pmf videos.

Angel

No. The dialogue is 400x less accurate on PSP. Fact. Shit is made up, the names are less accurate, and everything is sophomorically obfuscated. There is no accuracy is the PSP translation. You are delusional.

Bazer

What what what????
Dude I think the PSP text is more accuracy because its the new version???? New version will fix translation error of the old version I think that????
How do you know PS1 is more accuracy???
PS: I dont play PS1 version.

Toshiko you are wrong, and I know I was right.
https://dekaja.dreamwidth.org/1675.html
Here, he wrote down how PSP's script is better than PS1's script. The PS1 is worse than PSP in so many points. It cant be man, no way a new version can have a worse script. :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/1m95ny/which_version_of_ff_tactics_to_buy_ps1_or_psp/
Here too. :D
If this forum has dislike button, you already got a dislike sir.  :cool:

Angel

Three things:
1) Do not double post. You even edited your first post, so I know you know how to edit rather than posting a second time.
2) Your links are founded on nothing but opinion rather than fact. When comparing the script to the original Japanese, the original PSX translation is more faithful to the source material, and therefore more accurate. Do you speak Japanese? Have you played the original Japanese version to compare? In every way, the PSX version is more accurate and faithful to the source material. Not to say it doesn't have spelling and grammatical errors all over the place, which it does, but it is more accurate.
3) I am not a sir. My usertext should tell you that much.

And though my words may have been harsh, it's because you're pretending that your opinion is fact when it is just an opinion. You prefer the PSP version? That's fine, there's no accounting for taste. You say it has a more accurate script? No. No, now you're lying. No. I will not allow lies to be spread.

Bazer

You can join my post, that means you are moderator or admin here.
I can counter you, but I dont want I got banned, so I wont.
OK OK, the PS1 script is more accuracy than PSP's one. You're right, and who said PSP's one better is wrong, is lying, is stupid. Dont ban my account, thank you. Lol. :)

Angel

I won't ban you for speaking against me (unless it's just outright horrible trolling and detrimental to the community), and it's fine if you prefer the PSP version. It's fine if you prefer the PSP script. It's completely fine to like all the additions the PSP version has. It's not fine to claim something is more accurate when it isn't. That is all.