• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:47:54 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

A new sub-forum under New Projects

Started by Dominic NY18, July 20, 2010, 09:23:02 pm

Dominic NY18

Would a new sub-forum under New Projects for idea threads be a good idea? That way, people can give their thoughts about specific ideas in a dedicated thread instead of having to post it all in the same thread.

Now, I know people might flood the place with threads for whatever idea comes to mind, especially newbies who aren't aware of the amount of effort needed for all but the most simple of hacks. But I also know that the members here are pretty good at either ignoring untenable ideas or chiming in on something that does seem viable. And of course, the standard for making new threads in the main sub-forum would remain the same. In other words, the new sub-forum would simply be replacing both the Patch Proposals and Job Proposal stickied threads.

So what do you think? Interesting way to allow people to post ideas without cluttering the New Projects forum with half-baked ideas and brainstorms or having ideas lost in a sticky topic? Or would it be an unnecessary change?

Pickle Girl Fanboy

July 22, 2010, 05:38:51 pm #1 Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:31:02 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Weirdly similar to this.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5508
Another thing: Why do you think FFHacktics is so quiet recently? Do you think the board needs another reorganization? A romhacker (who I personally loathe, but who has some good ideas) came up with this set-up.

(category) Investigation
(board) Investigation

(category) Implementation
(board) Hacks - non-specific.
(board) Hacking and Patching Tools - anything which makes it easier to hack or patch is a tool, even if it is just a spreadsheet.
(board) Spriting
(board) Personal Patches
(board) Help
(subboard)The Classroom - learn the methods, master the tools, teach your method, post your tool.

It's derivative of ffHacktics (obviously), but the division between investigation and implementation keeps new users from using every board for the help board, and keeps every board uncluttered by random crap, except Help, one assumes.

We need to keep digging if we want to keep this community alive. We need to make it as easy as possible for people to do what we want. The first rule of business, and a good rule for life in general, and to do that for ffhacktics, we need to create a positive feedback loop that rewards, encourages, and facilitates creative/productive interactions and allows everyone to contribute the best way they can.

The more I think about it, the more I think New Projects should be called Personal Projects or (my preference) Personal Patches.  The name New Projects kind of encourages indiscriminate keyboard ejaculations, which we all know belong in Spam, and the word Projects isn't appropriate - since it could refer to an asm hack as easily as a patch - when a better and more descriptive word, Patches, is available.  The word Personal would discourage "Hey guys I got this great idea everybody drop what you're doing and help me!" threads.  Personal = Yours, as in, you make it and we'll help if we want.

(board) New Projects or Personal Patches or Personal Projects
(subboard) Project Ideas or Idea Discussion (?)  Which would best encourage discussion and dissuade hissy fits at the inevitable Asmo criticism?  On that topic, Asmo needs to criticize more often.

God, I'm bossy today.  So yeah, I think you're on to something.

Samuraiblackbelt

<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

LastingDawn

Yes, Death Before Awe and Dominic both make good points. I suggest that their suggestions be taken into effect as soon as possible.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

agreed

there should be two levels to any project

1. Personal

2. Community

community obviously for the bigger projects that need more attention from more people, and have competent leadership