• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:09 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Yasumi Matusno new kickstarter!

Started by Havermayer, January 14, 2014, 03:12:07 pm

Angel

• Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Timbo

January 14, 2014, 07:53:35 pm #3 Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:09:41 pm by Jack of All Trades
I'm gonna pledge on Friday, but I'm not really sure what to think about this game.  There is not a central character-based narrative. It's a game where the player can be one of five armies or something. While I love Matsuno's world building and his rich atmospheres and histories, it's that personal character driven approach of his that makes Tactics my favorite game. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this game will have this.
  • Discord username: Timbo

Choto

With Matsuno and his music composer... and a team of developers that were raised on tactical RPG's like us, it's worth just pledging for the chance at a great game. It has the potential to be legendary

Edit: Thanks for the heads up btw Havermayer!

Gaignun

January 15, 2014, 06:15:15 am #5 Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:43:10 am by Gaignun
3.2 million USD for a map editor.  Let's go!  If everyone on this forum donated about 100 thousand, we could have it by the end of the week.

The synopsis seems like standard Matsuno fare to me.  Tactics Ogre, FFT, and FFXII are primarily world-driven narratives.  The protagonist of these games is a small actor on a much larger stage.  In the present case, it seems that there will be not one, but many small actors, each of whose story is told over a shorter length of (gameplay) time.  This is likely to conform the gameplay to its smartphone platform, on which games are expected to be played on the go in short bursts.

I think this formula has potential.  It will be like George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.  With many actors onstage, Matsuno has the freedom to write tragic endings without breaking the narrative's continuity.  Thus, he needs not rely on tired tropes like Plot Armour.

Havermayer

I do hope this gets funded, simply because Matsuno needs the work.

However there are some issues. People just see his name and react to that. What appears to be the case is that this tiny french company simply hired him to work on a pre-existing project rather than this being a project idea of Matsuno himself. So they're using his fame to raise money.

Angel

He's still writing the story and designing the world and mechanics. Xifi linked to that info the other night, but I can't find it in my backlog.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Cheetah

January 20, 2014, 09:52:11 pm #8 Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:02:03 pm by Cheetah
This needs to be a front page news story, this is HUGE.

PS: And pledged.
Current Projects:

Celdia

Popped my KS cherry on this one. Now to just sit back and wait until they make me a game.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Cheetah

Wow things are really not looking good for this project. I think they are loosing backers faster than they are gaining them. With only one week to go it is likely they will make their main goal, but stretch goals are looking pretty hopeless. The team appears to be working hard to rally, but they really had a terrible game plan going into this. With all the staff and talent they had around this it is pretty shameful that they messed this up so big and came so unprepared to run a kickstarter campaign.

I'm torn because I want another game from that Matsuno team, but I'm not impressed with who they have chosen to team with.
Current Projects:

Angel

*losing. Lose the opposite of win. Loose is the opposite of tight. :eng101:

And yeah, a bunch of words do not make a compelling presentation to anyone but members of a board meeting. They needed substance.

lirmont

When Havermayer first posted this, I didn't bother to even read/listen to the pitch before pledging. That said, maybe make sure you also put your concerns over on Playdek's kickstarter page so they'll at least have no reason not to see them (if you haven't already). I say that coming from encountering feedback (well, biting criticism) elsewhere on the internet and wishing it had been directed somewhere I actually read (so I had a chance to do something about it).

Angel

There have been many many many requests to see anything resembling a screenshot or mock-up. That one thing would bring in a lot of fence-sitters, and should have been there when it launched. I just really hope it isn't too little, too late to put that in an update at this point.

And yeah, we pledged before reading the whole thing, too. No regrets. Just sincerely hope it meets goal, or we will be sad pandas.

Reks

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Angel

February 07, 2014, 12:23:05 am #16 Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:57:09 am by Toshiko
Unlike my fiancee, I totally understand and support the triangle movement.

Edit: Ow... not only have they not gathered a single donation in nearly 8 hours, but they're 133k away... which is what they were mid-day yesterday. This hurts. And Xifanie says the total has -dropped- from when she last checked, even. I have serious doubts that the goal will be met. :(

Choto

I hope they recognize the need for as large scale game... If they use a poorly planned kick starter as a barometer for interest they'd be crazy.

LastingDawn

I am afraid that's probably going to be it then... Despite Matsuno putting everything he had into the project and even enticing Sakimoto and Yoshida to jump aboard his name recognition alone was not enough to carry a kickstarter to its final goal. Had this been four or even three years ago this really might have stood a chance, but Matsuno's name has been too long gone from the matters of importance in the industry that people have begun to forget about the pioneer of Tactics games.

With this failure, even after uniting his team, will likely disillusion the man himself to continue with game designing all together.

It is a true shame. This project seemed like it could have been promising with what snippets of information we were told but public apathy and poor planning on Playdek's part ruined the best chances for it.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Angel

It will still be made regardless, just only for Android. The game was already being made, the Kickstarter was for mainstream multiplatform.

And the problem isn't lack of Matsuno's notoriety, it was a combination of factors. One, early on, there was an attack made on the nature of the project by spreading word that Matsuno had next to nothing to do with it. That brought the support train down quite a bit. Two, there's the matter of how nothing was really said about the game itself until 15 hours ago.

Matsuno still has plenty of notoriety. The Kickstarter's existance went viral pretty much immediately off of his involvement. The only issue of timing was in starting a Kickstarter for a game without anything to show about the game but concept art. It's a strategy game, and most strategy game players care more about mechanics than artwork.