• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:19 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Super Game Theory

Started by Pickle Girl Fanboy, April 14, 2012, 07:04:09 pm

Pickle Girl Fanboy

http://supergametheory.com/

http://supergametheory.com/2011/10/23/super-metroid-and-the-will-to-power/
QuoteSuper Metroid is a game about power; it's also about blowing up space pirate mantis things, but it's mostly about power. The Metroid series helped introduce a lot of groundbreaking concepts to videogames: non-linear environments, moody atmospherics and a serious sci-fi setting to name but a few. However perhaps the most groundbreaking of all was the way in which the protagonist became increasingly powerful as she acquired new equipment for her suit and thus progressed through the map.

Actually Super Metroid didn't really introduce the concept it was present in the original Metroid and the original Legend of Zelda (which was released the same year), as well as countless other RPGs that featured experience points, expanding inventories, etc. However whereas in most standard RPGs growth is guaranteed and even the hardest bosses fall if the player invests enough time into grinding, Metroid only rewards exploration and a deepening understanding of its subtler dynamics.

^First two paragraphs on an article that links Super Metroid and Nietzsche.  It get's more awesome as it goes along.

I really like the Ogre Battle article, too.  Ditto the Terranigma article.  I wish they'd do one about FFT and FFT WOTL.

formerdeathcorps

I wouldn't mind if games were more explicitly satirical or politically relevant towards our world, but this seems like an attempt to force-fit real events and philosophy with games.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Kaijyuu

Games use philosophy all the time. I dunno how "politically relevant" that might be, but you'll be hard pressed to find any video game story (barring excuse plots) that doesn't make some philosophical statement. Most often the generic ones, but hey!
  • Modding version: PSX

Pickle Girl Fanboy

FDC probably actually knows WTF he's talking about when it comes to this stuff, so he's probably right.  Though it does make an interesting read for the uninformed.

Dokurider

Quote from: formerdeathcorps on April 15, 2012, 04:33:30 am
I wouldn't mind if games were more explicitly satirical or politically relevant towards our world, but this seems like an attempt to force-fit real events and philosophy with games.

That's putting it lightly. I thought it was an joke website with how hard they were round-hole-square-pegging everything.