• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:12:43 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Making seifer from ff8. Need tips and tricks to know what to do.

Started by lunar, November 07, 2018, 05:57:41 pm

lunar

so i saw that some one made squall from final fantasy 8 so i thought it would be a good idea to make seifer also but i really don't know what to do ive heard of frankinspriting but i think this would more details for this. but this is the sprite im going off of and idk what to do from here.
  • Modding version: PSX
"Lassworm!."
  • Discord username: Tensho

Valkirst

Hey Hey, I saw what you were doing and um I decided to put my own together using a different sprite but which is very similar to the one you're using. Hopefully what I'm going to say makes sense, so that you get the gist of what you have to do. I want you to practice doing the head swapping so that you can get used to it.

So the first thing that I did was go through the main site and actually look through all of the "custom sprites" that were already done before.  I knew there was another character that had a trench coat which is Dante by Amici and for the hair I found M Warlock by R999.

1. So now I noticed that Dante had white hair already and the trench coat was red so all I did was switch the pixels on the pallet from the white the red and presto, we have a white trenchcoat and the black legs and gloves you needed. So obviously the next thing we need to do is to do a head switch with the Warlock. 

2. What I want you to notice is the palette and that I cleaned out everything with green that was unnecessary except for the head by simply replacing some colors in the palette.
3. I did notice that the color of the hair wasn't quite right so I went and found that male White Mage which is a little bit more blonde and went ahead and replaced the colors.
4. Now that everything was clear notice the arrows where we have ourselves a little floating head. Using the magic wand tool at 95 tolerance you can cleanly cut it out.

5. So the next thing I did was go back to Dante's sprite and to align all the palette colors to make sure that I have the whites where I needed to have them the blacks where I needed to have them and also the blondes and purple for the shirt.
6. Now that I have the head all cleaned up the Warlock sprite I can now copy and paste it over to Dante's sprite.

7. Here it is copied and you can see there are some excess sprites around the sides.

8. Now here we are, I had to change the palette in the colors close enough to be what I wanted to be and as you can see I've copied and pasted over the head and did some slight modifications because there was a little too much volume and the hair.

I think these 2 files are better to suited to use and I will help you at any point you need. 😁
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

lunar

OK this what I've gotten done by switching the heads to the seifer wip how is it and what should i do different?
Edit:
im looking at the animation and i messed up the head on the correct location like they are all not leveled
"Lassworm!."

3lric

Valkirst

So I fixed The Walking frames and made some modifications on the head there are bunch of little's sprites and you're gonna need to clean that up. So you're gonna need to add the purple shirt on the facing forward walking frames . Make sure you clean up all the pixels though so that everything looks consistent.

So the reason to head was bobbing up and down is because you didn't align them properly, they all have to be on the same plane so to speak. Some were too high or to the left
Completed Sprites

lunar

ok i've did my best at the purple shirt then i need to do his little red cross and fix up his hair in some spots.
"Lassworm!."

Valkirst

Completed Sprites

lunar

Oh wow valirst that looks good I didn't expect that. But one question how would I up load/add it to the main sprite?
"Lassworm!."

Valkirst

Hey Lunar here is the first version, did you ever figure out how to put it on your sprite sheet?
Completed Sprites

Nyzer

It looks a little too small, IMO. Most FFT sprites peek over the top of the frame a bit, and the necks are also longer. The hair could also maaaaybe stand to be a few pixels taller?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Valkirst

Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Thanks for the advice Nyzer you were right, on closer inspection It was actually very small. I used the proportions of Beowulf as a comparison so I think I got it right, but any more critique is welcomed.
Completed Sprites

3lric

Quote from: Nyzer on November 19, 2018, 07:40:51 pm
It looks a little too small, IMO. Most FFT sprites peek over the top of the frame a bit, and the necks are also longer. The hair could also maaaaybe stand to be a few pixels taller?

I was about to post the same thing

Nyzer

Height's definitely looking better, but now it looks a bit too thin. And the ear's definitely too small.

Eyes look a little too short, but given that he's glaring that might be passable. Still may want to consider another pixel or two of height on 'em though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Valkirst

OK, so I went ahead and made it wider. I just straight up took the ear off of Beowulf I counted the number of pixels for the eyes and it's right on average compared to a lot of other portraits (4x4 pixels) I looked at on the reference sheet. The thinner face actually has 2 more pixels in width than Beowulf, but lemme know what you guys think.
Completed Sprites

Valkirst

Lemme try again. Hmmm eyes look a little small...
Completed Sprites

lunar

Yes. I found out how to add the face to the sprite sheet. I think your Right the eyes look small now. The eyes in the one that to did before look fine to me.
"Lassworm!."

Valkirst

Completed Sprites

lunar

"Lassworm!."

Valkirst

Sigh... lol
So this is a combination of all of these.
Completed Sprites