• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

ALL THE CHOCOBOS

Started by Jon, January 15, 2012, 04:13:26 pm

Jon

January 15, 2012, 04:13:26 pm Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:44:52 am by Jon

White, Blue and Green Chocobo

Cactuar version 1

I kinda already know whats wrong with version 1 Cactuar, so I don't need crits on this one, but I will need crits on version 2. Here is what I have done so far (and please note I am gonna make a brand new dead frame):

There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Vanya

Ever consider giving these poor deprived chocobos a proper beak?

I did these a long time ago, but never really finished.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Vanya

Quote from: Dome on January 15, 2012, 05:52:43 pm
Dat cactuar is awesome

Agreed. FFT has needed one of those for ages.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Lijj

January 15, 2012, 08:08:23 pm #4 Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:34:10 pm by Lijj
I was wondering how you oriented the two frame run over the five frame cycle.. simpler than I thought; very interesting.
Thanks for posting here.
Can you make version two less saturated? Especially the portrait.

I really like the blueish-green and gray together on the 3rd palette of the chocobos.
  • Modding version: PSX

GeneralStrife

Good to see you jon!
Cactaur is awesome, Good job it took alot of effort I bet.

Mando

Glad to see you back my friend! we should work together on some sprites sometime!! (As you see I finally improved some in spriting :D )

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Xifanie

I'm sorry Vanya, but how are those beaks proper?

Chicken: Brown feathers, brown beak

Chicken: Black feather, black beak

Ostrich: Black feathers, black beak

Cardinal: Mostly red feathers, red beak

In chicken, feather pigmentation is generally revelant of beak, legs and egg pigmentation as well. The only exception I can think of are white chicken where most races (but not all) will have yellow beaks instead of white. Personally I believe they are giant chickens, but if you think they're ostriches, the same logic applies. Some bird types like eagles will always have a yellow beak, but birds having yellow beaks is a stereotype which is false most of the time. Any human made bird looking product tends to have yellowish beaks for some reason. You could argue a lot of beaks have a yellowish tone but the feather colour to the beak is predominant.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jon

January 16, 2012, 05:03:54 pm #8 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:15:55 pm by Jon

Here only the black and green chocobos have a colored beak, but I think the ancient classic chocobos from like the SNES era had different colored beaks that did not match their feathers. I actually personally like the beaks to be the same color as the overall bird, I'm guessing Xif too... Your chocobos do in fact look interesting though Vanya, I could give it a shot. Here are some more classic based ones:

Edit: Any specific sprites you have in mind Mando? Right now my life is extremely busy but thanks to Raven I finally learned how to use the Palette Editor (which I never could figure out before for some reason) so I'm really enjoying recoloring sprites, and it doesn't take too long...

Vanya

January 16, 2012, 09:20:24 pm #9 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:15:48 pm by Vanya
Quote from: Xifanie on January 16, 2012, 04:25:54 pm
I'm sorry Vanya, but how are those beaks proper?

Chicken: Brown feathers, brown beak

Chicken: Black feather, black beak

Ostrich: Black feathers, black beak

Cardinal: Mostly red feathers, red beak

In chicken, feather pigmentation is generally revelant of beak, legs and egg pigmentation as well. The only exception I can think of are white chicken where most races (but not all) will have yellow beaks instead of white. Personally I believe they are giant chickens, but if you think they're ostriches, the same logic applies. Some bird types like eagles will always have a yellow beak, but birds having yellow beaks is a stereotype which is false most of the time. Any human made bird looking product tends to have yellowish beaks for some reason. You could argue a lot of beaks have a yellowish tone but the feather colour to the beak is predominant.

Don't take my use of the word proper so literally. I meant proper as in having a distinguishable beak at all as opposed to the FFT way of not bothering to differentiate it with even so much as a line to show where the feathers end. And I never said mine were proper. My bad if I seemed to be imply that that were. <3

@Jon: Thanks. :)
Those aren't the only ones I did I have a whole crapload based on the original palettes from all the old games directly. I can post them on my deviantART account if you want to see them.

EDIT: In fact, I think I'm going to ga ahead and do that anyway. I should put as much of my work up there as possible.

EDIT: Here they are: http://lordvanya.deviantart.com/gallery/34788193
¯\(°_0)/¯

RandMuadDib

LOL LOVE BOO BERRY! is there a finished sheet for him somewhere or was it just those couple frames?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Jon

Wow, not bad at all Vanya! I wonder if people here are interested in recolored sprites, I certainly am! I like the Hydras strangely the best, the Ghost called Boo Berry is cool too but I don't know where that's from...

The second sheet is FF 7 Chocobos! These are by far the coolest imho. You're choice of colors are like exactly like the ones in 7. Only 2 small nit picks, the first regular chocobo looks somehow actually bland and the black chocobo could be slightly darker...other than that awesome! :mrgreen:

If only there was some Chocobo Ranch and chocobo raising going on in FFT...not just plop, egg, random bird... :/

RandMuadDib

Boo berry is a cereal, along with frankenberry and count chocula.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

3lric

Jon, I really like those chocobo colors, I may some use for those :D

3lric

Can you send me the sheet you have with those 3 palettes?
I really like the White one  :mrgreen:

Jon

January 23, 2012, 09:12:22 am #16 Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:27:01 am by Jon
Quote from: Elric42 on January 22, 2012, 02:14:05 am
Can you send me the sheet you have with those 3 palettes?
I really like the White one  :mrgreen:

Its attached now, yeah didn't realize that every time you simply upload a BMP to Photobucket it becomes a JPEG...

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on January 21, 2012, 04:38:12 pm
Could you make the white chocobo a little less gray?

Okay, next post/edit will be a less gray, whiter version...should be easy enough...

Quote from: RandMuadDib on January 21, 2012, 03:31:58 pm
Boo berry is a cereal, along with frankenberry and count chocula.

Haha, I see...

EDIT: Now you can compare the newer, whiter Chocobo to the older one and pick whichever one you like better. I honestly like the older sprites colors better (the darker whites and grays) but the new portrait is more accurate. :mrgreen:

Jon

Double post!!

I took Vanya's Black Chocobo and I changed its beak around so it looks more like a full beak and a little less like I guess a parrot's. I think that the original one looked almost as if it didn't have a lower beak and just went into its feather colors. Dunno, you guys decide.

GeneralStrife

huh. I think I like it, but it's weirding me out just because I think we are so used to a seamless beak area.

Kagebunji

I like it, looks more proffesional than the old one. Though it does look weird, given how FFT beaks were all same color with body.