• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:36:14 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Community Mod

Started by ShadowSkyle, May 19, 2012, 10:30:52 pm

Which plot should the main story revolve around?

Initial Contact With Lucavi
Conscript
Neophyte's Revised Plot

ShadowSkyle

Job Submission is now closed! Thank you everyone for your submissions. Look for the next poll and topic in the Community Mod to find out the winners and to give your opinion for the next aspect of the game!

formerdeathcorps

OK, since we're going to be deleting the existing poll in favor a of a new one, please keep a record of the results.

Beginner (Increased EXP/JP, Low Costs, Simple Battles): 1 Vote
Intermediate (Increased EXP/JP, Normal Costs, Average Battles): 1 Vote
Advanced (Normal FFT): 8 Votes
Expert (Harder Battles; Normal XP/JP earned; Normal Prices): 16 votes
Insane (Everything requires strategic thinking): 8 votes
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

ShadowSkyle

July 01, 2012, 02:52:24 pm #62 Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:44:58 pm by ShadowSkyle
Didn't realize I could reset the votes for a new poll. Will do that for future polls.

New poll is up! Do you want a new story to go along with the new mod? Feel free to discuss any ideas you might have as to the direction of the new story, or why it ahould/shouldn't change!

formerdeathcorps

What happened to the list of submitted jobs on the first post?  Shouldn't that also be in spoiler tags?
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

ShadowSkyle

Will be returned when the winners are announced.

formerdeathcorps

Except given the 30 submissions entered, wouldn't it be a good idea to also post the list now so people just coming in can prepare for what they're voting for?  It may be difficult to scan the thread to keep track of all 30 entries (especially since they're scattered on 3 different pages).

ShadowSkyle

I have a copy of the list outside of this site, and I'm consolidating the info for each job and reposting a spoiler with all the jobs and their descriptions in one, easy to access spoiler.

formerdeathcorps

All right, here's the updated version of Celdia's .xml file as a .txt.  To use in orgASM, just change the extension.

ShadowSkyle

Wow. This poll is running away quickly. Lol. Will likely be taken down tomorrow.

formerdeathcorps

July 02, 2012, 02:05:27 am #69 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:51:13 am by formerdeathcorps
More ASM:

BATTLE.BIN
0x112E9C
2140E000
0x112EB0
21A08702
2130C100

BATTLE.BIN
0x114680
0x1146C0
0x1146F4
0x114708

Note, this doesn't affect the displayed spell (so it is still possible to display CT5 even when the spell always defaults to CT3) or the game from prompting you for the second parameter menu (Prime, 5, 4, 3).  I don't know yet how to fix it.

ShadowSkyle

Will it allow you to select something other than the predetermined second parameter?

formerdeathcorps

July 02, 2012, 10:19:49 am #71 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:59:55 am by formerdeathcorps
Yes, it will allow you to select something other than the predetermined second parameter (and your selection is what is displayed), but the hack mechanically only allows the four choices listed, everything else an illusory holdover from FFT's old code.

However, it seems you won't be using my calculator (and are instead using the more flexible Red Mage).  In that case, you can freely ignore this hack as Calculator and Red Mage are mutually exclusive.

ShadowSkyle

The community has voted for a new story in the Community Mod (results on 1st post). Now it's time to decide when this new story will take place. Cast your votes now!

ShadowSkyle

On to the next topic of discussion: Monsters. What monsters should be in the game? Which ones need to be replaced? (Keep in mind that there is currently no one spriting for this mod, so we have to go off of Vanilla monsters and/or sprites submitted on this site)

Eternal

Tonberry, Lamia, Flan... use as many new monsters as possible while keeping Chocobos.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

formerdeathcorps

Since you're using my animist, my first preference is to keep vanilla's monsters, but if you insist otherwise, the only monster that should be deleted is uribo.

As for additions, I don't care as long as we are not adding Flans or Cactuars.  They just don't feel like serious monsters.

Rfh

Quote from: ShadowSkyle on July 02, 2012, 12:00:47 pm
The community has voted for a new story in the Community Mod (results on 1st post). Now it's time to decide when this new story will take place. Cast your votes now!

Sequel or presequel... is difficult. Vainilla history is awesome and untouchable...
I voted new story, but if anyone has a very good idea, post here.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh

formerdeathcorps

We can take three approaches.
1) Stick with canon and tell the story, adding characters only to fill in gaps.  A subvariant is to tell the same story, but from a different person's angle.  This is the approach of Kingdom of Ivalice, Xif's hack.
2) Replace canonical characters or the plot, but not both.  Thus, you either replace key characters with original characters, but keep the plot (my story patch) or use the same characters, but change the events that happen to them (FFT Remix).  Even if you end up doing both, as long as you mostly keep the flavor of FFT (including the leaders, their political intrigues and wars, and the manipulation of the Church/Lucavi), this will still feel like FFT even if Ramza no longer becomes a main character.
3) Redo everything, as seen with Call of Power, Kokojo's hack.

If you all wish to stick to canon, the Lion War is the least flexible and a sequel is the most (because you can structure the plot however you want and you technically don't have to include anyone's descendants).  The prequel would be interesting because the prequel in the 50 Years' War era has a large plot that is only briefly sketched in FFT, meaning that a good storyteller can connect the dots in an engrossing way (even if his retelling isn't the only possible one).  That being said, I'm still entirely undecided.

Rfh

Quote from: formerdeathcorps on July 02, 2012, 04:02:16 pm
We can take three approaches.
1) Stick with canon and tell the story, adding characters only to fill in gaps.  A subvariant is to tell the same story, but from a different person's angle.  This is the approach of Kingdom of Ivalice, Xif's hack.
2) Replace canonical characters or the plot, but not both.  Thus, you either replace key characters with original characters, but keep the plot (my story patch) or use the same characters, but change the events that happen to them (FFT Remix).  Even if you end up doing both, as long as you mostly keep the flavor of FFT (including the leaders, their political intrigues and wars, and the manipulation of the Church/Lucavi), this will still feel like FFT even if Ramza no longer becomes a main character.
3) Redo everything, as seen with Call of Power, Kokojo's hack.

If you all wish to stick to canon, the Lion War is the least flexible and a sequel is the most (because you can structure the plot however you want and you technically don't have to include anyone's descendants).  The prequel would be interesting because the prequel in the 50 Years' War era has a large plot that is only briefly sketched in FFT, meaning that a good storyteller can connect the dots in an engrossing way (even if his retelling isn't the only possible one).  That being said, I'm still entirely undecided.

You're right, I only think about presequel or sequel and I forgot these possibilities.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: rfh

Quman

Expanding on the story of the original game would be nice, but I think there's a reason Square-Enix didn't do that with their later Ivalice games. The events of FFT were the climax of Ivalice history, and what came before and after was build up and resolution. It would be possible to tell an interesting story, but we would be heavily limited by the fact that many of the major plots were in their infancy during the Fifty Years' War and were already resolved by the end of FFT. The before and after were in service of the main story itself, and it would be difficult to add to or change those parts of the story without harming the overall narrative.

As such, I vote that we come up with an original story in a similar style.