Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed. Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section.

FFT: A Class Apart  (Read 2192 times)
Pages: [1]
Pylgrim [Posts: 12]
  • View Profile
  • [November 01, 2011, 02:49:51 AM]
FFT: A Class Apart
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:49:51 AM »
Hi all. As many of you surely have noticed, I've been lurking the forums and IRC, while gathering info for my dream mod. I believe I now have a very good idea of what I'm doing and I have grounded several of the impossible fantasies I had to start working on something that may be viable after all. (DISCLAIMER: Very likely, there are still several ridiculous flights of fancy, fruit of my general ignorance about FFT hacking. Please do not be afraid of pointing them to me.)

I want to start by thanking Eternal, Raven, fdc (did I get it right?), Celdia and everyone else who have helped me so far, either by example, encouragement or direct advice. It was thanks to you guys that a vague, dreamlike idea took form into something I can work with today.

Final Fantasy Tactics: A Class Apart has two main objectives and two secondary objectives:

The two most important ASMs I'll be employing are the Brave to Fury (in which physical attacks are calculated like magical attacks, using Fury) and the ability to equip two Support Abilities, using the slot of Movement Abilities.

Without further ado, I present you the table of Generic Jobs:

UPDATE: Here's the table of generic skillsets for the first 8 jobs. More coming soon:

Some notes:

How can you help?: I intend to do as much coding as it's possible, but since I'm a total novice, all advice will be greatly appreciated. Suggestions of resources, tutorials or examples of mods doing similar things to what I'm attempting, will help me very much. New ideas that you see fit to the previously stated objectives, will be also welcomed. Last, but not least, I'll seriously need help with spriting. Any kind soul that feels like attempting to create sprites for the Warlock, Berserker, and Pirate classes will have my eternal gratitude.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:59:55 AM by Pylgrim »
Rising from a long sleep...
Joseph Strife [Posts: 580]
  • View Profile
  • [November 01, 2011, 02:15:57 PM]
Re: FFT: A Class Apart
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
Man, you sure have a great idea there, a very explained mod that, at least for me, seems to be realy promissing, i can't help you directly coz i'm already in a project, but i'll give some tips and ideas often. I eager to see this done, i liked very much your ideas and they seems real good.
Your new classes are very good. Do you have something to tell us about the story? will it be left untouched or you plan to ravamp it a bit?
Anyways, keep up the good work and be sure to expect help from other people around. I wish the best of luck for you and your project, i hope i can play it in little time. :D

Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

• View Profile
  • [November 03, 2011, 05:08:38 AM]
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:08:38 AM »
Thank you! :D After a lot of discussion in the IRC channel, I made some improvements to my previous post, more relevantly to the Marksmen. I've been working a lot in the chart of generic skills but it sure is a time consuming process! So I'm breaking it in parts as I progress which I'll be adding to the first post:

Some notes:
  • The old "Holy Water" item ability is now moved to the Cleric and is capable of healing a much wider array of ailments.
  • Several abilities now have a chance of causing related status effects as part of a bid to make them more relevant.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:00:37 AM by Pylgrim »
Durbs [Posts: 617]
  • View Profile
  • [November 05, 2011, 02:52:42 PM]
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
How do you intend to do the Paladin giving adjacent units effects? That sounds either impossible or requirant of ASMs, and if you're a novice then good luck.

Same thing with having the pirate always cause a treasure drop. I'm sure that one's possible, but it would require ASMs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:55:35 PM by Durbs »
"Evanescence... what a sad word..." -Agrias Oaks

Lydyn [Posts: 1100]
  • View Profile
  • [November 05, 2011, 04:59:04 PM]
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
You'd have to use an ASM for the Paladin support skill, but the pirate one is easy - just make them immune to Crystal. It makes it so they always turn into a chest, or it should.
Durbs [Posts: 617]
  • View Profile
  • [November 05, 2011, 07:37:25 PM]
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
You'd have to use an ASM for the Paladin support skill, but the pirate one is easy - just make them immune to Crystal. It makes it so they always turn into a chest, or it should.

But then he has one (Spiritualist) that always turns them to crystal.

"Evanescence... what a sad word..." -Agrias Oaks

Lydyn [Posts: 1100]
  • View Profile
  • [November 05, 2011, 08:11:22 PM]
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »
Read it wrong. Yes, that'd require an ASM hack, most likely.
  • View Profile
  • [November 06, 2011, 07:58:07 AM]
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »
Right. As I said, several of these ideas I'm just throwing them out there without knowing their viability at all, precisely so more experienced coders could tell me if they are worth the amount of work they'd involve. For example, I did know that there was such a thing as Crystal/Chest immunity but not that there's no straight way of implementing each of them for different abilities in the same assembly. Similarly, I figured that the Paladin's ability could be worked from something like Monster Skill, which triggers flags on adjacent monsters. Obviously all of this coming from my imagination rather than actual coding knowledge. That's where you step in, guys, to keep me straight and realistic. :)

Next skills update coming up soon.
  • View Profile
  • [November 12, 2011, 04:14:02 AM]
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 04:14:02 AM »
I've just updated the first post with more skillsets and fixed some details of the previous. I'll now be updating the first post always to keep a centralized source. Thanks again go to Raven, Eternal, and FDC, which continued advice has allowed me to refine my ideas and put them down like this.

Notes on this update:
Arrows are now items! Using a modified THROW skillset they can be fired from your inventory as long as the unit has equipped a bow. Most of them will be purchaseable in shops or are easily found in chests instead of the old Soft, Holy Water, Echo Grass, etc. However, the rarer and more powerful can only be caught from high leveled enemy Marksmen or obtained at Move-Find Locations or battle rewards.
Wizards now have two sets of each non-holy, non-dark element with varying ranges and AoEs. Most of them have a small chance of causing an additional status. Wizards do keep their ability to transform people in frogs, though!

Hope you find it interesting, and as always, criticism, suggestions and corrections are very welcomed and keep in mind this is a first draft. It's probable that some of these skills won't be possible or practical to do and so, I've strieved to create a high number of them so even if I have to scratch some, there won't be aa want for them. Thanks for reading!
Pages: [1]