• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:39:53 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Quick question about the weapon strike check box.

Started by Vanya, April 09, 2008, 12:17:34 am

Vanya

April 09, 2008, 12:17:34 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
When checked, does it mean that the skill/spell will require a weapon for it to work?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Lydyn

April 09, 2008, 12:26:24 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
No, all I think it means is that you see them slash with their weapon instead of ... whatever. I'd assume if you leave it unchecked, you'll get a spell charging animination... I've never tested it though, but all the sword skills have it checked.

Vanya

April 09, 2008, 12:55:06 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Well, I know for a fact that check has nothing to do with the character pose used in conjunction with the spell/skill. The pose attributes are not editable at the moment. Thanks for the reply though.
¯\(°_0)/¯

NeedsMoreNoise

April 09, 2008, 01:04:06 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Not to state the obvious, but the best way to figure out things like that would be to experiment. Test it on the intended job with a weapon on, then without one, and then see what happens when you put it on a monster.

Zozma

April 09, 2008, 03:06:00 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
you dont gotta experiment, ill explain it right now. this box does exactly this:

If the attacking animation is called upon (if that skill slot is programmed to use it) and this box is checked, instead of the character using their fist they will used their equipped weapon.

try this if you want a good example. "Choco Meteor"
give this to a human and dont edit the skill at all, you will see that they do a physical attack animation but it looks like they are holding a dagger. if you check the box, however, and the character is equipped with an axe or something, it will show them using that instead.

some of the skills like "Small Bomb" may be slightly different, but checking the box will give you the same result. using it on a skill like "Fire" or "Silence Song" will be pointless because they dont call on the physical attack animation...

some skills you can use this on are:
Small Bomb (there are 3 of these!)
Choco attack
Choco Ball
Choco Meteor
Bite
Beak
Eye Gouge

perfect for creating a new sword skill set if you swap out the gfx.. and really come on, if you replace choco attack with just plain "attack" you arent losing much, the damage formula is identical, bite and beak are the same, and eye gouge? why not just give the goblin the spell "Blind" monsters dont use mp anyway so if you give him short charge then the goblin is already cooler than origionally lol...
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

April 09, 2008, 07:41:30 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Ah, ok! I knew there had to be a little more finesse to that particular check. And... I know I could test, but it was late, my girlfriend was bitching, AND I was being lazy! =D

I hope we find the pose attributes so melon can add them in. They have too great an impact on each skills settings. Or maybe put in a little comment box for us to write notes.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

April 10, 2008, 02:29:25 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
speaking of comment box

it would be cool if you were able to rename the skills and stuff when you open the patch with the fft patch edit (i mean only for reference) so that you can remember all of your changes while editing.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

April 10, 2008, 11:34:20 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That would be a useful feature. Very few editors have it.
¯\(°_0)/¯