• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:13:00 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Messed up Wiegraf sprite in the menu and formation screens

Started by Armorvil, April 01, 2008, 04:55:28 pm

Armorvil

April 01, 2008, 04:55:28 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Armorvil
I had the idea of allowing an undead Wiegraf to join the party, at Poeskas Lake. The problem is, his sprite doesn't appear correctly, both in the menu and in the formation screens. Actually, the sprite being displayed is Balmafula's.

I have two question : first, is there a way to correctly display Wiegraf's sprite in those screens ? After all, Gafgarion's works great (but I guess Gaffy works, because he was programmed to appear as a guest in the menu) ...

...And if there is no way to display his sprite, here is the second question : would it really bother you to have Balmafula in place of Wiegraf, in the menu, were you to play a hack ? In my opinion, it doesn't feel too good, but hey, you can get used to it. It displays fine in battle, after all.

I also have the problem with Celia's sprite, by the way : it is replaced by Chapter 1 Ramza, but her portrait is still Celia's (and that ain't the case for Wiegraf, as Balmafula replaces both his sprite and portrait).

It really bothers me. I made a lot of changes in this hack of mine, but everything worked perfectly up until now  :?

And in case nothing can be done about it, should I remove those characters completely, or leave them with this annoying (but minor) graphical glitch ?

I'm kinda lost.

Xifanie

April 01, 2008, 06:16:30 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
You could just switch balmafula's sprite to wiegraf, but there's no tool to change unit's formation sprite yet.

And I don't get how that thing with Celia coul happen.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Armorvil

April 01, 2008, 06:50:45 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Armorvil
Yeah, it's weird.

And it's a nice idea to change Balmafula's sprite to Wiegraf's, but if I do that, then I guess Wiegraf will also be the woman sent by the High Priest to kill Delita... =/

Xifanie

April 01, 2008, 07:05:58 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
The formation sprite, not the sprite sheet.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Armorvil

April 01, 2008, 07:15:43 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Armorvil
Oh !
This hint is already a pretty good help, but if it doesn't bother you, could you use a little of your time to tell me how to realize this deed, Zodiac ?

Zozma

April 07, 2008, 04:23:22 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i wish there was a way that someone could program the game to display the diagonal forward direction from each battle sprite. rather than off of the formation sheet stored in some unit.bin file...... but at the very least a way to get access to that sheet to modify whats there and then put it back in....
still i've been told that there are no spare places for the npc's to have an image there.

i really dont see why it was even necessary for them to have that unit sheet when images off the battle sprites would have been just fine. maybe it would have taken longer for the menu to load that way?

to my knowlege no one has been working on this at all, this and event sprite sheets.... everyone who knows the game must be well aware of these funky menu sprites. just so u know it may look like ramza in formation, but the portrait USUALLY doesnt lie when it comes to battle... that is except for custom changed portraits.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Lydyn

April 07, 2008, 04:29:11 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Yeah, I don't usually mess with the sprites myself... maybe a good idea would be to use one of the .. complete unused ones (or generic if there isn't any - maybe with different colors?) and just switch his job to the White Knight? Suppose if you're going for story... make it a spin-off of some other cursed knight that wishes to redeem himself? *Shrug*

I don't play with sprites myself, really.

Zozma

April 07, 2008, 04:30:38 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
what hes thinking he might be able to do is affect what you see in the menu...
but you cant. even changing the normal squire's colors doesnt change it in the menu

Lydyn

April 07, 2008, 04:32:09 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
... what menu? You mean the formation screen, out of battle?

Zozma

April 07, 2008, 06:41:40 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah formation, and the dispatch screen just before you enter battle....

it is really tacky.... but we all have to deal with it ah well :)
the battles themselves work fine and i guess thats really what counts anyway.

Lydyn

April 07, 2008, 03:15:37 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Ah... well, like I said, don't mess with sprites myself that much. But I would agree in battle would be the most important area for it to work. *Nods*

Hippeus

May 30, 2008, 09:05:51 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hippeus
Not sure if it would work but u could try giving Celia the Dancer Unit/Formation sprite since they are the same sprites just different portrait.

Kourama

May 30, 2008, 10:03:01 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Quote from: "Hippeus"Not sure if it would work but u could try giving Celia the Dancer Unit/Formation sprite since they are the same sprites just different portrait.

I was unaware that there was a way to change the flag that chooses which formation sprite is used. Is this actually possible already?

Hippeus

May 31, 2008, 12:05:08 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hippeus
I've done it before using the GS but the same principle would work really with the FFT Patcher I believe. Choose the Dancer Job Class and make its Skillset Use Hand or whatever u want. Would have to be careful cause Dancers would become Assassins and if u face any in random battles u could have ure hands full.

When I had the Arc Witch in my party at one time I gave her the Use Hand Command. So same rules apply. Just as a Generic Class ALL Generic Dancer's would become Assassins.

I also made Ramza (with his actual sprites) into a White Knight correctly with the stats and such as a White Knight having all the Holy Sword skills a White Knight would have.

Zozma

May 31, 2008, 12:30:29 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
But are you saying you can take Celia, and use a gs code to make it so when you view her in the menu it shows the dancer? im sure thats possible

if even melon or zodiac or someone can tell where these values are found with a hex editor would be great... i mean its a simple number change im sure.... most npcs being set to 00 (probably) and thats why you see ramza's first sprite so often when you gs an npc into the party. perhaps it is hidden within each job itself? same goes for the color palette as well right...
anyway i was able to hex edit characters on Saga Frontier 1 just by seeing gameshark codes :o

Hippeus

May 31, 2008, 12:33:09 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Hippeus
Hmm.................. Good question. I only ever done this before with Special NPCs that weren't glitched.