• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Need opinions on a new skill for my white mages. ^_^

Started by Vanya, January 04, 2009, 11:28:32 am

Vanya

January 04, 2009, 11:28:32 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Pray

350 JP
75%

CT: 15
MP: 0
Formula: 0C Heal_F(MA*Y) [Y=14]

Same range and targeting as a song spell. (Hits all allies on the field.)
Same spell power as Cure.
Same CT as Bahamut.
Ignores mute status as you don't need to be able to talk in order to speak to your higher power.
Also, it isn't reflectable, or mathable, or mimicable.

This is basically a free casting of Cure that hits all of your party members, but takes a long time to cast. It is intended for emergency situations where a healer has run out of MP, but still needs to do some healing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what do you guys think? should it be more expensive? stronger? weaker?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zalge

January 04, 2009, 12:00:31 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
I love the copied name from FFX =D lol
while my opinion matters little, I think that the charge time should be lower. It just seems kind of useless because if it takes so long to charge, then your team will die before you can even cast the spell!

Dormin Jake

January 04, 2009, 12:15:49 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
I like it, good idea.  CT should stay nice and slow though, especially considering it's a free, hit-all cure.  It gives out-of-MP Priests more options than secondary or staff attacks, anyway, and I think that is a definite plus.  The slow CT keeps it from being something a Priest can just spam, and keeps the importance of smartly managing MP.
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

The Damned

January 04, 2009, 12:55:53 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
...I had given this to my White Mages as well about two months ago, so I obviously don't have a problem with it.

The only potential problem that came up rather recently was my realization that this seems like it kind of screws over Distribute Reaction skill, which doesn't get any love as it is.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Vanya

January 04, 2009, 01:30:57 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
@Zalge: Actually the name come's from Rosa Farrel's skill of the same name. I just wasn't able to fully duplicate the effect of her version of Pray.

@The Damned: Hmmm. I hadn't considered Distribute. However, wouldn't Distribute work well with Pray? You'd really only be using Pray if you're low on MP or maaaybe if you're out of reach of a critical unit. If your White Mages have their HP maxed and Distribute equiped when they use Pray your other units will get a little extra boost. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

The Damned

January 04, 2009, 02:23:55 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
It should, yes, which is why I was saying "seems". However, my version of Pray is currently a bit different from yours in that it costs a bit of MP and is thusly quicker becasue of it. It also was going to possibly cancel a few negative statuses, but I kind of got rid of that when I nerfed Esuna on the 1st. My Pray similarly hits all allies and can be used when Silenced likes yours, though I think it also hits for less.

I may change it to your version depending on somethings (such as the interaction with Distribute), but I want to test out my own first.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Vanya

January 04, 2009, 07:43:02 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Cool. ^_^

Funny. I was going to have cancel various status too, but I decided to drop that because of the terrible hit rate. On top of that, I could never actually get it to remove any status with this set up. ^_^

The next one I'm going to mess with is a Spell I call 'Restoration' based on the 'Revive' spell from Final Fantasy 2 Anniversary Edition. It will auto target every unit on the field and hit with a 255 multiplier for maximum healing. It will cost 99 MP, and carry the longest CT in the game. The catch is that it will not reverse on undead. It is the ultimate white magic after all. I will make a version of the 'Destroy' spell also. I'll call it 'Destruction' to match 'Restoration'. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

January 05, 2009, 01:20:44 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm? Can't you use Chakra's formula for a FF4 DS, Pray? In essence, it recovers both HP and MP, to lesser amounts then the other.Of course finding a balance would be a bit difficult, but I am to guess you're not gutting your White Mage's physical capabilities, I should hope?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

January 05, 2009, 01:53:45 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The only thing I don't like about the Chakra formula is that it is based on PA instead of MA and is immune to the effects of faith. I think we can all agree that it would not make sense for a prayer to be unaffected by faith. Also, I'm trying to limit the need for custom formulas.

No. If anything I might boost my White Mages' physical capabilities a tad. They will have access to a wider variety of weapons like Flails; which are really Maces.

^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

LastingDawn

January 05, 2009, 02:26:02 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh, right... it would be kind of... odd... for Faith not to play a part in Praying, wouldn't it?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

January 05, 2009, 04:06:19 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That's what I think. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zuka

January 05, 2009, 04:21:07 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
You know, I think this is a really interesting spell idea, though I'd like to test it with a lower CT (still double digits) and a lesser power, almost the effect of giving priests a faith effected bardsong

Vanya

January 05, 2009, 05:05:53 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
One iteration of it was just like a bard song. I even gave it perserverance (sp?) like a bardsong or dance. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Samuraiblackbelt

January 05, 2009, 06:07:07 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I think it should faith should what decides the % chance of effect(like brave on reaction abilities) and a shorter CT,like cure2
or maybe,just make it as close to rosa's pray as possible.
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Vanya

January 05, 2009, 08:03:36 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The problem is that to make it like Rosa's at all it needs a custom formula. Not if I want it to be based on faith. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Samuraiblackbelt

January 05, 2009, 09:27:32 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
hahahahaaha
massive typos there
anyway
rosa's was like casting cure one on everyone,so you could just have it be like cure1 divided by# of units it's cast on
with the CT of cure1 or 2,and have like a 50% chance of effect on each unit individualy,like a song
or have the # of faith be the % chance of effect like brave for reaction abilities
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

Vanya

January 05, 2009, 10:43:39 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm saying there's no formula that works that way. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Samuraiblackbelt

January 06, 2009, 04:17:31 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
why?
whats wrong with using an existing formula?
the booklet that came with my FF4 says that pray casts cure1 on everyone(not guarunteed)
if you want it based on faith,with a new formula,try MAxfaith/10 or MAxfaith/15
I'm not sure which is more appropriate

Vanya

January 06, 2009, 04:39:41 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Why? Because there is no formula in FFT that works like Rosa's Pray ability.

What's wrong with using an existing formula? Nothing. I am using the Cure formula with the same spell power as Cure.

I DON'T want to use a custom formula because I want to save space for when I really need a new formula.
It needs to be based on faith because it doesn't make sense for it not to be when FFT has a built in faith stat.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Samuraiblackbelt

January 06, 2009, 06:44:04 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
fine
your screwed