• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:01:28 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arbalist Job Thread (Rad/Ramza Skillset Update!)

Started by Archael, November 20, 2008, 09:02:13 am

Archael

November 20, 2008, 09:02:13 am Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:35:22 pm by Archael
Arbalist, the Dual Weilding Crossbowmen

August 22nd 2010

LastingDawn Edit

This is the Arbalist class, their skills are focused on pure damage and destruction, it's power is purely physical with a purpose of a Glass Cannon, they have massive power with their two crossbows, and are the only class able to dual wield. they inflict no statuses with their skills but can remove two distinctly damaging statuses from the opponent.

Philsov's update to the skillset are appreciated, but realistically we might not be able to have 7 or more skills for this class.

Arbalist Skills

Iconics
Elemental Shot - strong charged ability with various elements attached to it.
 (??????) -
(Riskbreaker) - Weapon damage with a proc of itself (which can proc itself, which can proc itself, etc)

Ramza
??? - 6 range 0 vert tol linear attack dealing PA-based damage
Autocrossbow - Uses old repeating fist formula to pelt the enemy with a deluge of bolts, 3 range single target
Execute - Uses Death formula to deal 21% dark damage to critical targets.  Weapon range, single target.  
Desperation - self only, critical-only.  Adds haste and innocent at 100%
????
????

Rad
??? - 4 range 0 vert tol 3-way attack dealing PA-based damage
Point Blank - 1 range 0 vert tol - PA+WP+X attack.  High damage.
?Salted Wound? - Damage dealt = damage taken thus far (aka climhazzard) (trumps Execute, I know;  but this job is off the Red Mage radar and needs a perk imo)
Second Wind - self-only, critical-only.  Adds Berserk and Regen at 100%.
????
????[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

dwib

November 20, 2008, 10:05:57 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
charge ftw!!

anyway, some ability ideas
Auto-crossbow - Hits an area in range with an effect radius of 1
Pulse Ammo(?) - Hits all enemies in a straight line for 5 panels (Pretty much Holy Explosion, a way to deal damage to enemies surrounding the "Assassin")
Over Strung - Fires both Crossbows simultaneously, knocking the enemy back
Holy Bolt - Bolt dipped in Holy Water seals Evil Spirits (Pretty much Seal Evil)
Grapple - Shoots a grappling hook through the enemy, stopping complex movements (Add : Addle)

ok i have to drive to school, maybe more ideas later. go forth and criticize!!!

Skip Sandwich

November 20, 2008, 10:44:11 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I think an auto-crossbow ability would be more fun if it used the repeating fist effect, and dealt unevadable, albeit random, damage in a large AoE (like a physical version of the Blow Leaves spell we've seen in the demo vids)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

boomkick

November 20, 2008, 10:55:28 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Assassinate- Deals damage and chance to inflict Dead.

Toxic Arrows- Deals damage and inflicts Poison.

Hallucinogen- Deals damage and Inflicts Confuse/Berserk

Ready, Aim, Kill- Deals massive damage at high accuracy. Really high mana cost and CT (fast) skill.

Silent Arrow- Deals damage and adds Silence/Sleep

Time Shot- Deals damage and adds Slow/Stop

Machine Gun- Deals high random damage in an area.

:) a lot of status because the Assassin is both a disabler and a killer.

Archael

November 20, 2008, 12:04:16 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
boomkick did you even read my post

dont give them status

or they will be way too similar to Mercenaries Archers

their skills have to be unique

maybe even give them a charged double shot (4 arrows on same panel, mp cost, long CT, evadeable, etc etc)

or AOE moves

this job is supposed to be alot more in your face than archer

but no status

Overstrung is pretty good

Asmo X

November 20, 2008, 12:35:08 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Maybe they could have straight line skills with no vertical tolerance, so they have to look for good opportunities rather than mowing everything down at will. They could have a linear self-destruct, a strong attack that damages MP and a dark-based % of HP attack. Probably charged.

Archael

November 20, 2008, 12:54:44 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
no vert tol is not a bad idea for a skill

last I check arrows do not fly over obstacles and come back down to keep flying at the previous height

but you cant make the entire skillset like that, they dont get status, so it's gonna get redundant real quick

also, "mowing everything down at will" is a huge assumption for a job that doesn't even exist yet

sit down and observe how things unfold before you call in the broken card

LastingDawn

November 20, 2008, 03:10:48 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
As always a great idea, Voldemort! This is a great way to put in the double crossbow and Only the double crossbow, making the... um... there must be a better name than Assassin for this... we'll figure that out eventually. I like the thought of Overstrung as well as a different sort of archer... and I am glad you put the Double Crossbow thought from 1.3 and applied it to here.  Auto Crossbow is a bit of an odd skill, but I have to admit, it would make sense...  and Skip Sandwich's thought on the matter are perfect! Repeating Fist is an interesting formula, and put on an AoE of 1 Effect Range even more so!

Now Over Strung, that would technically knock the enemy back twice, which is wonderfully unique!

Pulse Ammo, is too close to Holy Explosion for comfort to be honest Holy Bolt and Grapple are statuses (which we've already said wouldn't apply to  "Assassins".

Voldemort, Double Shot, which shoots four is quite a peculiar thought, especially if it uses CT, of course it would need to be a pretty long CT for such, hehe.

As for your suggestions Asmo, Archer already has, oddly enough... everything you mentioned, Magic Disperse, Lifeforce Shot, except that Dark attack! I really like that thought, In which I'll probably use for this class. So, it seems this class will be the CT users of the physical classes? An interesting idea...

As always, great ideas everyone!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

dwib

November 20, 2008, 04:43:24 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
hmm still in need of more abilities methinks, i'm not sure how the CT or possible MP cost will work (if any) for these but here are some ideas...

Piercing Bolt  - Normal attack that can pass through trees/rocks/etc. to attack under cover (doesn't work for enemy units too high to reach)

Point Blank - Powerful attack with crossbow but has Range : 1

Depressant Bolt - Normal attack damage + Despair/Dispel

Also, is it possible for an attack like "Rapid Fire" to work where it deals small damage but gives the you an extra 20 CT at the end of your turn (like if you had waited)??

boomkick

November 20, 2008, 05:58:49 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Shotgun- Deals increased damage but only has a range of 1 panel.

Charge Bow- Increases Self PA by 1 per use.

Shaker Shot- Deals damage and stops Charging/Performing.

Shadow Hide- Adds Transparent.

Longshot- Deals massive damage at a VERY long range, CT skill.

Elemental Shot- Deals a lot of damage, but has Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, and Darkness elements. So it is useless against people with immunities or absorb to it.

Arrow Shield- Deals damage by shooting arrows around him.

Archael

November 20, 2008, 06:11:37 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
The Double shot can have built in inaccuracy, right? Like Gear Breaking skills do?

Is there a PA+X% hit formula?

the function of the skill can be "extra attacks at lower accuracy"

combined with evadeable and some CT or MP cost it would be fine

The Damned

November 20, 2008, 06:21:45 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
^ Yes, there is.

Quote from: "LastingDawn"As always a great idea, Voldemort! This is a great way to put in the double crossbow and Only the double crossbow, making the... um... there must be a better name than Assassin for this... we'll figure that out eventually.

You might as well call them "Snipers" if they're basically the "upgrade" to Archer when it comes to distance classes and the only other class (?) that can use Crossbows innately on top of being able to dual-wield crossbows which no other class can do.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

November 20, 2008, 06:23:48 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
sniper could work

except they will have less range than an archer with a longbow

and I'm not sure how much "sniping" they should be doing

they are supposed to be glass cannons

2 big weapons

but die easy

and by easy  I mean, 75 HPM cloth wearer, cant use shields, not much C EV

no defensive skills

the high tier, specialized jobs should have some drawbacks

The Damned

November 20, 2008, 06:28:22 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Despite what little I know about actual snipers, I think the point of sniping is more staying hidden rather than distance.

However, I'm assuming that this class will have some means of making themselves Transparent, which may not work out if we can't figure out how to make the AI take advantage of that status (if LastingDawn is concerned about that).

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

ShadowGamerDarkly

November 20, 2008, 06:29:44 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ShadowGamerDarkly
This is starting to sound like a Sniper. lol
Maybe the class should be called Sniper.

Anyway.

Quick Shot: Fires Quickly To Hit A Target But Does Very Low Damage. (High % Hit Rate/Low Damage)

Archael

November 20, 2008, 06:33:38 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
no

no transparent for them dude

they dont get statuses

or defensive abilities

that's why I said I don't know how much "Sniping" this job is going to be doing

they are cannons

start thinking of them as front line Machine Gunners instead of long distance stealthy Sniper Assassin types

dwib

November 20, 2008, 06:38:37 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
How about "Ace" for this class? The name permeates with the fact that they are original, cool, and fragile albeit powerful

The Damned

November 20, 2008, 06:39:28 pm #17 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:42:32 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort7"no

no transparent for them dude

they dont get statuses

or defensive abilities

Ah yes. How quickly I forget.

Well, if the we could freely make it so certain skills were could only be used with weapons that aren't typed as "Swords", then I would suggest calling them "Machinists" or even just "Engineers" since Crossbows are machines; it would also be somewhat reminscient of Edgar, especially since we're already using his Auto-Crossbow apparently.

That said, should all the techniques that we give them be Crossbow-specific (even if we can't make them Crossbow-only at the moment)?

LastingDawn

November 20, 2008, 06:39:41 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Unfortunately, that's not possible, a true shame though... Unless we give this class the breaks, but that would leave the Knight up the creek without a paddle.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

boomkick

November 20, 2008, 08:45:41 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Well lets just up their stats then. My suggestions

If they don't get the benefit of status they should get the benefit of speed, or move/jump?

They should have high HP because they are using crossbows and are at a disadvantage from ranged archers and casters. They need their own advantage also.

Upping their speed, so they move faster then others.
Upping their move and jump so they can overcome ranged units.
Upping their HP would let them be able to survive at least a few attacks because they are using crossbows, but not insanely high. They still need to be squishy.

But if you want them to have extremely high PA, then they should be named Cannon or something. Because cannons are usually slow and easy kills, they get strength.