• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:48:24 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Error object reference not set to an instance of an object alternative solution

Started by Heisho, September 23, 2018, 03:27:55 pm

Heisho

Hello there!

This is more informative than requesting help.
In the last days I had this error on FFTactext and it was driving me nuts. So I'll tell the experience if anyone is having something like that this might help.

I use Xifanie FFT Text editor which is way more useful than TacText in changing text. I checked all entries for out of chars out of limits, found 2 or 3 but the error still kept coming. The I saw something particular on the Excel. It seems that instead of using the Add-ins to erase entries I just deleted them from the main sheet. This is easily detected if you see the contents of one column tresspasing to another. When I saw this I copied blank cells there and it turns out it stayed blank and the excees of text from the other column was no longer visible.
I did this in all cells in the workbook and voila, it worked just fine.
I believe that if we erase data from the main window it somehow screws what is going to be read by TacText.

I don't know maybe I'm way wrong. But worked for me. So I leave this for anybody who is using Xifanie editor and encounters this problem. This might be an extra troubleshoot step.
  • Modding version: PSX
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Xifanie

Well, this is confusing to me because:
Blank cells don't have a type assigned to then, just a null value
If a blank cell prevents text from overlapping, it has a value of "" / null string / empty string, but still returns as blank.
My workbook should be returning an empty string in either case though, but I admit it's possible that's not the case.

I'll investigate, but worst case scenario I could add a button to automate pasting a null string for everything, which would be useful visually speaking anyway.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Heisho

I know, I doesn't make any sense.

However I remember that in a thread another forum member had a problem where he had to delete and rewrite a value on TacText and then it worked.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10676.msg202372#msg202372

So maybe the value that your null string might be a valid value for TacText when using the Edit Selection add-in, but no when deleting the cell contents from FFText sheet.

EDIT: I just added a bunch of new stuff and it keeps working.

Heisho

Well this is my last report before going to bed.

Apparently I've hit the maximum of char width amount permitted on Skillset Names of FFTacText. I made a couple of tests and it seems that we will get an error like this one when having more than 5830 of...( I don't know how to call this...character length perhaps?) as the total amount of all your skillset names.

I even tested by adding characters on different places with the same result. Adding a single character after this total amount will trigger this error.

Hope this could be tested by someone else to confirm it.

Good night everybody.