• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:49:48 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Final Fantasy 6

Started by cade11, October 28, 2008, 12:08:26 am

cade11

October 28, 2008, 12:08:26 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by cade11
Ever thought about a tactics version of that?

ArkDelgato

October 28, 2008, 12:19:44 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ArkDelgato
That would be a lot of work, but pretty fun. One Chocobo recolor could be a magitek armor I guess.

Magic would take a long time to set up as learn via summons...And summons being equippable...

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 09:23:15 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
One way of simulating the esper system in tactics is to have each job class represent a different esper, for example, the thief job would represent Stray/Cait Sith. In addition to any normal abilties a job would grant, it would also allow one to learn that esper's spells Blue Mage style (so taking the theif example, being a thief would allow you to learn confusion and vanish). the reason for blue mage style learning is to alllow for magic to not be learnable until the plot dictates that magic be available.

On the subject of magitek armor, because of the way the tactics mechanics work, magitek armor would work best as either a seperate 'monster' or as a special monster class (like the demons and worker 8)

Magitek Armor as Monster (probablly replaces bull demons)

General Traits

Innate: Defense Up, Cannot Enter Water, Counter

Status Immunity: Blind, Don't Move, Don't Act, Poison, Regen, Undead, Blood Suck, Frog, Death, Invite

Element: Weak Thunder, Half Fire, Half Ice, Half Earth, Half Wind, Immune Holy, Immune Dark

Monster Skill: Force Field, adds Protect and Shell to self and adjacent units

M-Tek Armor

Iron Claw: Physical attack

M-Tek Laser: deals unevadable light magic damage to a single target at long range

Tek-Missile: attempts to cut target's hp in half, long range

Heavy Armor

Iron Claw

W-Machine Gun: deals unevadable, but random, physical damage in a wide AoE at range

Heavy Metal: Stomp the ground, dealing physical earth damage to nearby units, may inflict Don't Move, persistent skill (unit keeps stomping at regular intervals until ordered to do otherwise)

Proto Armor

Innate: Defense Up, Cannot Enter Water, Counter, Two Swords

W-Claw: physical attack, hits twice (because of Two Swords)

W-Machine Gun

Tek-Missile

Magitek Armor as special monster class (replaces archaic/ultima demons)

Magitek Armor

Primary: M-Tek
Secondary: n/a
Reaction: Counter
Support: Defense Up
Movement: Cannot Enter Water

Elements and Status immunity: same as listed above

M-Tek
Fire Beam: deals magical fire damage in a line
Ice Beam: deals magical ice damage in a line
Bolt Beam: deals magical thunder damage in a line
Heal Force: heals adjacent allies, does not target self

Magitek Elite

Primary: M-Tek
Secondary: Magic
Reaction: Counter
Support: Defense Up
Movement: Cannot Enter Water

Elements and status immunity: same as listed above

M-Tek
Fire Beam
Ice Beam
Bolt Beam
Heal Force
Tek Missile: attempts to cut target hp in half
Bio Blaster: deals 10% hp damage and inflict poison to nearby units
Noise Blaster: deals 20% hp damage to nearby units, may inflict confusion

Magic
Fire
Ice
Bolt
Cure
Demi
Poison
Protect
Shell
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

ArkDelgato

October 29, 2008, 11:36:05 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ArkDelgato
But is there a way to make it mountable for the opening in narshe and the scene in the prison camp?

Also; Narshe looks a lot like underground colliery in my opinion.

Skip Sandwich

October 29, 2008, 11:40:34 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
because of the way that the Tactics mechanics work, it can either be mountable OR have the magi-tek armor skills. Now, you have show them being mounted in event scenes by replacing one of the chocobos, but you can't have them be mountable AND have skills at the same time, so you'd have to end that scene before battle, then load special M-Tek units that have the names and portrats of your characters, but are actually monster/special monster units, to be used in those battles.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

The Damned

October 30, 2008, 12:16:55 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
That's all the more proof that an FF6 remake would be not only too lengthy--I really don't think you could fit everything with all the current slot limitations even we somehow overcame every other project restriction at the moment this time tomorrow--but also too cumbersome.

I mean, not to be an asshole, but what's really the point of remaking something that's not only already works perfectly, but has a rabid fan following that will rip you to shreds and, very recently, already had a remake (on DS)?

Maybe you should start with one of the earlier FFs that no really cares about, like FF2--hell, someone made a Firion sprite already--or one of the Game Boy ones.

Touching anything after FF4--that's a vague guess since I haven't played the first four games--seems like it would be too time-consuming since the games started to get really segmented at that point. FF5 has three long distinct points; FF6 has two freaking huge segments complete with a dozen characters that come and go like a visible herpes; FF7 was at least two or three disks of angst (I've tried to forget); FF8 and FF9 were similarly multi-disk.

So, of the more recent games, that really leaves the unpopular FFX-2 and FF11 as the easier things for FFT to emulate IMO. Oh joy. [/buzzkill]
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Skip Sandwich

October 30, 2008, 12:27:34 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Well, i've no intention of attempting such a task, because, as you just stated, it be either impossible or would have to be so streamlined that it would barely be recognizable. Its fun to play around with theory though. Besides, there's nothing stopping us from using stuff from FF6 as the basis for a stylized FFT patch. (say one that didint mess with the story of tactics, other then to raise the overall technology level to that of FF6, so references to things like 'the lost age of airships' would be changed to a reference to 'classic airship models' or something, and Magitek armor units would take the place of the archaic/ultima demons as common special foes)
"Dave?  Are you there?"