• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:25:30 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

ArcticPrism

What do you think could make Sniper Doubleshot worthwhile? It just does 0.5x + 0.5x damage which is worse than a regular attack considering you have to hit twice and you can just use Take Aim if you need the 100% hit at 0.5x. The only times I can think of that it could be used for is Damage > MP enemies which are extremely rare and something to hit enemies with strikeback, reflex etc if for some reason you don't have Beso Toxico or some other ability. What if it was made into 1x + 1x (double damage), given an mp cost, or some other drawback, and learned from a more rare bow? Or even 1x + 0.5x damage?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

I have... plans for Doubleshot. I'll just leave it at that for now.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

ArcticPrism

tonycancer

its 4 am get ready for a wall of text:

Overall I just love the new difficulty. I've always loved this game, it was easy for me to loose 10 hours every time I hit new game. Beat the original 4~ times or so. I've really come to enjoy some of these bugs... I like that Maintenance gives Dual Swords to more races. and keeping Reaver with a single alternate form is a cool mechanic ( Something darker would be more appropriate though.) One thing I'd like to point out is how borring the Veira caster tree is. I love the new Red Mage but it still ends up playing second fiddle to summoner. I think Mog Knight and Soilder could use a little of Warrior's love. My Warrior was Great, no mater what bangaa job he went into he kept Greased Bolt, Downsize and First Aide and it was super useful. I'd also like to point out that early in the game I won almost all of my fights with Poison and Sleep, which was much faster than meleeing. Not sure if I was cheesing or if that was over powered. I spammed strong Lifebreaks too, but that felt rewarding due to the risks. So, being as I'm playing this on PSP I can't access all the mission items right and couldn't collect the mission items needed to do so right? Or is changing that already included in the patch? Oh, and how about some kind of in game event that refresh the bazaar? While getting some items from the shop was sorely needed ( getting the key steals) it would be fun to have more of it locked away. And perhaps build in some kind of reccomended area map, the treasure hunts are such an annoying mechanic.

Eternal

Treasure Hunts have been mostly unaltered, but they may be re-examined and changed in the future. I really hate that mechanic, so I'm undecided on what to do about it.

Unfortunately for you, Maintenance is fixed now! A certain Moogle job may be getting Dual Wield soon though, perhaps Juggler. Sleep may need changed around a bit, but Poison is wholly intended to be a staple through your playthrough. I try to always place an emphasis on buffing and debuffing, and buffs/debuffs are well worth your MP to cast now.

Mog Knight will likely be getting a new ability or two in the near future, and Soldier might be getting two weapon/armor breaking skills. I'm undecided as of yet.

As for unlocking the multiplayer only mission item missions... I'm 90% sure that's something I can do. I'll open those up for the next update. :)
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Jumza

Quote from: Eternal on May 04, 2014, 09:26:03 am
Unfortunately for you, Maintenance is fixed now!

\o/ yay! How did you finally manage to pull that off? :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Eternal

Jumza: Darth mislabeled something in AIO, IIRC. It's been a while.

FFTA GG .93 Anticipated Changelog:

-Maintenance has been fixed.

-Red Mage's Sleep has been replaced with Blind.

-Vampires have lost Drain and regained Drain Touch to fix the vanishing bug.

-The Multiplayer only missions are going to (hopefully) no longer require the unique items.

-Soldiers lose Combat Combo and Provoke and gain Aim: Armor and Aim: Weapon.

-Jugglers can now learn Dual Wield from the (rare) Mythril Knife.

-Mog Shield now also adds Regen.

-Mog Guard now adds Protect and Shell on the user as well as Defending.

-Malboro Morph has been temporarily removed from Reavers. I was going to replace it with Dragon Morph, being terrifying knights and all, but that isn't working well. In exchange, they now get Doom, which inflicts, well, Doom to an adjacent enemy. Reavers can now turn into Dragons.

-Reavers have lost Mutilate and gained Drain.

-Sages have lost Drain. They'll regain a large portion of their skillset in later updates.

-Red Mage now has improved MP Growth.

-Llednar has gained Maintenance.

-Most Samurai abilities now have 1 Range but 2 AoE, simulating an around-self AoE to prevent bugging. Likewise, Whirlwind and Swallowtail also have had this change made to them.

-Doubleshot now deals 2x damage at the cost of 20 MP, and now knocks an enemy back twice. Basically, if you try and use it with a melee weapon, it'll fail. It'll do 1x damage and knockback, but because of the knockback, the enemy will be out of range from the second attack, meaning you can't get an easy 2x damage out of it. Instead, you'll need to use a ranged weapon so that the second shot will still be within range. Most units also only have 3 Move, so this can really cripple enemies with low Move if focus-fired on them. Needs testing.

Am I missing anything else?

tonycancer

Those are some beautiful patch notes mate. Even if it means starting from scratch I am looking forward to dragons :D Perhaps with their dark identity a more evil transformation would be appropriate?

I love the Red Mages, I didn't find myself dual casting sleep with them too often as it was mana intensive. Blind is rather weak right now, I'd love to see Assasins or Snipers gains some kind of move that punishes status effects on the enemy.(Verias as a whole kind of lack identity right now) I should also note that I relied on bad breath pretty heavily in my playthrough, especially before Break became common. It was my first Blue Magic spell ( took forever to get Blue Magic which was a nice change of pace as I always rush it) and I got the Malboro Soul at the same time. I'm going to miss my Reaver. Nabakov was a saint. I really love this mod, though it'll be a few weeks before I start up again. Gotta figure out how to get Parted Ways on my psp haha

ArcticPrism

Quote from: Eternal on May 04, 2014, 09:09:23 pm

-The Multiplayer only missions are going to (hopefully) no longer require the unique items.

I thought linking doesn't work in Visual Boy Advance for Tactics? Is there some working way to do link trading/battles? Does it only work locally?

Eternal

To clarify, I mean the missions that require the Gold Vessel/Eldagusto/Vermillion, which can only be acquired by multiplayer. I'm also going to look into streamlining dispatch missions and making them all have the X Days condition instead of Defeat X Enemies, or X Battle count.

ArcticPrism

Oh. I see. The change to dispatch mission sounds really cool. I hate having to waste all that good AP on characters I've recruited simply for defeat enemies, number of battles etc missions.

For Doubleshot, couldn't you make it require a bow to be cast? Like Doom Archer? You wouldn't need the knockback in that case.

Something else I just thought of. Since units in the game can't have inherent status immunities, what if you equipped monsters with things to make them immune? It would probably be tedious though, going through and equipping every red panther with a Scarab to make that monster class immune to immobilize, disable and frog. I suppose that would be a pretty ghetto and limited approach though. You could steal the accessory to remove the immunity unless you made monsters immune to steal(if they aren't already). Also, there are a pretty limited amount of items you could use and what they can be immune to is limited to the items.

Eternal

I looked into Dispatch missions and I sadly cannot change them- yet. That will be looked at in the near future.

As for Doubleshot, I like that idea and forgot that was an option, so I'll be using that. Thanks for the idea!

And no, I'm not changing monster immunities. It's way too tedious, and I'm not particularly concerned about them.

While tooltips cannot be easily changed right now, I'm putting together a master guide of what abilities do and what's in each skillset. Take a look here!

Eternal

And double post, but FFTA GG has been updated to 0.95. This is a rather large update that fixes a lot of issues (both bugs and balance issues) and should make the game a lot more enjoyable. Those looking for the Master Guide (which has all abilities documented save for Monster abilities at present) can look to the very first post in the topic. Enjoy!

Eternal

FFTA GG will be being updated to 0.96 very soon. I've almost finished the game, and I like how I hit level 50 right before the final battles. It feels so natural, haha. Anyways, I've fixed a bunch of small issues, namely animation bugs that can cause freezing.

Adrammelech has a slightly different skillset now because of those bugs, and Assassins now have Evil Gaze instead of Mokuton, which fits them a bit more thematically. Their version of EG costs no MP, but only has 3 range instead of 4 as it did previously. Naturally, Elementalists no longer will have access to it.

Mythril Weapons can now all be purchased late game and have proper pricing... though I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy them aside from the Mythril Dagger and Mythril Rod early game. Ethers will also have proper prices now.

Other miscellaneous bugs are also going to be fixed, as well as minor balance issues. I'm also writing up a small tip guide for people to take a glance at before they play to give them some tips on how to get through some of the more grueling battles, as some of them- I'm looking at you, Mateus- can be quite tricky.

EDIT: Almost there!

ArcticPrism

Any plan to update the list of changes on the first page? It's quite outdated.

Eternal

Wow, I didn't notice your post, AP! Sorry! Yeah, it'll be updated.

Some things to look forward to with the next (huge) update (which will be out when Darth finishes his project):

-Fencers will be getting Stance skills to replace some of their more boring skills. This means that Fencers will be able to use a skill that boosts one stat and reduces another. For example, if you want a more damaging Fencer, you'll be able to use Bladework to improve ATK, but sacrifice DEF. If you want a tankier, more defensive Fencer at the cost of offense, you can use Footwork to improve DEF but sacrifice ATK. It's all about your playstyle. If you want to rush in and do sheer damage with your Rapier, Footwork is the Stance for you. If you prefer surviving and inflicting Poison and MP damage, Footwork is for you.

-Arcanists! Arcanists will be replacing Alchemists and are true Necromancers in the series. Arcanists can Zombify enemy units and then Turn them into temporary allies. They'll also be able to buff Undead units (giving you a reason to Zombify your own units), and other fun little perks. Although Reavers were once the almost-necromancer of FFTA, Reavers will be getting a proper Dark Knight-ish skillset.

-Sages will be acquiring a spell pool from several other jobs, such as the old Alchemist. They'll have a little bit of everything. Time Mages will be gaining Meteor, and Reavers will be gaining Rasp.

-The biggest thing: a new script and rewrite. This is what's going to make the update take a while, and is what will require Darth's new tools. My goal is to update everything in FFTA (such as terms, names, etc.) to FFXII canon. Things like the term Seam will be updated (to Rift), etc. Names will be left alone (with a few exceptions). Dialogue will also be updated and given a facelift.

-Last Meteor will be saying goodbye. :(

Eternal

Darthatron

• Discord username: Darthatron

rrs_kai

Hello every one, I just wanted to share my experience with this game mod (am not a modder/hacker)
To start things off this was my first SRPG and first final fantasy game and I completed the game twice (including judge missions)

The things I liked in this mod:
-Elemental magick being varied adds a nice strategic balance rather than being copies of eachother (makes it meaningful to master all elements).
-Improved and balanced classes.
-Reduced AP cost. Reduces grinding for abilities a lot.

I have just completed mission [Thesis,Thesis] and here are the difficulties that i have encounterd:
-Enemy units always being the same or higher than my max level unit made levelling weaker units difficult.
-Reducing the max unit limit to 5 made me reluctunt to using new units and one of the starter units is still at Lv.1 (my human archer).
-Enemy clans having many abilities mastered seems like a psuedo-advantage over the player's party.
-Was it intentional to make 'Clan Dip' so end-game material? (they were my first encounter).

To append the above listed gripes, i have found a "minor tweak pack" on romhacking.net... i will post the link if anyone can confirm that posting links to mods is legal.

The tweak changes the starting unit setup from [Black mage, Soldier, Monk, White mage and Archer] to [Bard/Animist, Archer, Warrior, Black mage, White mage] in that particular order, excluding Marche's class.
This is very similar to the starting party found in FFTA2 and makes sense in the that many changes were adopted from the sequel like ability changes, evade rates...etc;the exception being the moogle who's a Thief there.

Advantages:
-Montblanc has better stats to tank damage because he is sort of mandatory for battles like Thesis, Thesis. (He is also my team's MVP thanks to his good defences and 'lullluby'. Took me 50min to win Thesis Thesis).
-Soldier + Warrior is better than two soldiers because Bangaa races are interesting in this mod.
-Viera white mage has good mag.pow and is faster than No Mou.
-No Mou black mage has high mag.pow and is better than Mont blanc (both are slow).
-Human archer vs viera archer isn't that big of a change but monsters being stronger in this mod makes Hunter's with sidewinder a stronger choice IMO, although this depends on how fast you actually acquire the respective equipment for that ability.
-Since the unit lmit is 5 the above setup gives you one of each race to experiment with (leaving the archer).

All in all I find this mod very interesting and would to hear your opinion on changing the starting party to the aforementioned setup. Also looking forward to tool-tips being corrected.

P.S. I would gladly appreciate if you decide to make max units 6  :D. I always feel like i need one more unit but that's just me.

rrs_kai

i have found a bug playing update 0.95beta...the mog knight's ability 'moogle lance' is using current wp.atk power (variying with equipped weapon) whereas the move 'air render' is using a fixed number multiplier (somewhere around 24wp.atk)
is this intended to make the mog knight balanced, because its powerful.

on a side note, the game's difficulty feels much more managable (in a good way) thanks to clan wars (all i needed was a few levels and game became very balanced).
great mod
-I like the aggressive AI (archers don't run away after hitting they come at you).