• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:53:31 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

What are the simplest components of a tactical RPG?

Started by nitwit, June 04, 2016, 08:09:05 pm

nitwit

I must make a project of my own, and I think I should make either a Steam game or an Android app.  I'd like to make a tactical RPG, but I'm one person and there's only so much I can do.  I'm thinking that procedural generation could be a very good mechanic to reduce the amount of work involved, but I'm not sure what sort of mechanics should be involved.  What tactical RPGs do you recommend I study to find interesting mechanics that are suited to procedural generation?  What are the most basic mechanics a tactical RPG should have?

Angel

Disgaea series, item world. The maps themselves are many and varied, but with many randomized factors (some maps can't be beaten in Disgaea 1 unless you have a Scout) that take the gameplay limitations into effect. Disgaea is fairly simple, battle-wise, with its most technical component being throwing (and in later games, totem attacks). Disgaea has a plethora of ideas for a minimalist SRPG that shines like diamond. Until you get into the transmogrification (I can't remember what it's called in-game), Disgaea's battle system is -very- simple, but also addictive.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Guru

Fire emblem is another good one IMO. It's a bit more complicated with it's weapon system and etc. but I always enjoyed the difficulty in their tactical mechanics. Another good feature Fire emblem had was the fog of war. Oh how many times I've had to restart because I rushed into my death  :mrgreen:

Obviously FFT too  ;), and tactics ogre but there is some other ones that I played quite a long time ago and I will have to try and find again. Actually I remembered one more Shining force (not sure about any of the new additions to the series tho)

I always loved the terrain playing part. As it should, I mean a lot of battles have been decided on terrain alone. Balance always seems to be the hardest part in tactical RPGs, and IMO I always loved being the underdog and having to struggle against overwhelming odds, which actually require strategy, instead of just leveling up till I can PWN everything. Now I'm sure not everyone enjoys struggling to win, but at the least everything has to have strengths and weaknesses that can balance everything out.

Desocupado

In a sense even FFT has it.
All you need is to put some better randomize-able triggers for instance battle X could have several units of very different functions (archers x phalanxes).

You can also put random elements i.e. map x can have a bridge, a windmill or a shallow lake. Or a broken merchant cart.

Look at Diablo 2 map generation if you can. Dungeons are composed of variable map pieces that connect in different ways and have some variation in themselves.

Kaijyuu

Vandal Hearts. Probably the simplest and most elemental trpg I've played.

pbrand

QuoteWhat are the most basic mechanics a tactical RPG should have?

As an RPG, it should have character stats, whether that means Health Point bars, damage, elemental resistances, whatever fits your setting. Character growth (both mechanically and storywise) should be paramount in an RPG.

As a subset of stats, specific to tactical RPGs, it ought to have some sort of statistic-based movement grid, whether it's squares (like FFT), hexes (like Battle for Wesnoth), or circles (Valkyria Chronicles). Flanking, accuracy penalties, bonus damage and such based on positioning add tactical depth.

The one area that may not work out so well doing procedural maps is having a height level like FFT. In all honestly, most tactical RPGs don't really go so far to have height levels in that fashion. If it were a requirement, Fire Emblem wouldn't be a resounding success as a series. Most procedural game design theory comes from the roguelike community, where they're primarily worried about generating rooms and connecting them with doors. Maps with height levels would add a whole new issue to that question of players being able to have certain access to portions of the map while other parts are intelligently closed off, in terms of a jump stat (or equivalent mechanic, a teleporter access point, again whatever works in your setting).

Although it's an isometric stealth-tactics game and not a tactical RPG, you might want to check out Invisible Inc.'s GDC talk: https://youtu.be/-8ZkIKPIDdY
Good luck!

nitwit

A hex based TRPG would be interesting.  Wesnoth is more of a strategy game than a TRPG.

Procedural 3D terrain generation is doable.  Azure Dreams does it in a roguelike, Disgaea does it in a TRPG.  Even if the algorithm is buggy, it will provide a reason for a variety of movement abilities.  I could have the first few battles on static terrain, then warn the player over and over again to make multiple saves.

What about themes?  What hasn't been done in a TRPG?