• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Math Skill, Monster Skill, and DMG Form 2D questions [solved]

Started by yamish, February 04, 2019, 02:38:00 pm

yamish

Hey yall, I've browsed here for quite a bit and can't find exact answers to what I'm looking for, so sorry if some of this is a repost.

I'm patching WOTL, and so far I've worked through a myriad of bugs to get where I needed to be, thanks much to all here who figured out PSP patching for the rest of us.
I'm asking these because I'm trying to avoid yet another playthrough until halfway through the game only to start over.

1. Math Skill/Arithmetics. I have added these into Mustadio's skillset. They flash red and give an insufficient MP message. I assume this is due to Mustadio's menu being Default and Math skill needing the math skill menu. My question is, if I change Mustadios skillset menu from default to Arithmetics, will it alter the behavior of Leg Aim, Arm Aim, Seal Evil?

2. Monster Skill/Beastmaster. Is there a way to change the range that this impacts without ASM hacking? No range for the skill in the patcher and I can't find what its Ability ID field is referencing in the patcher.

3. Damage Formula 2D. This is the formula used for Agrias' Holy Sword abilities. I have made custom abilities that use this and are supposed to apply elemental mods, much like lightning stab adds in lightning damage. This does not appear to be occuring. I have checked different abilities to have differing elements, but there is no change. My fire based ability hurts bombs as much as lightning, rather than healing them, for example. Is there something I am missing? Are abilities using this formula pulling elemental from the weapon rather than from the ability's elemental attribute? I looked at the ASM labeled breakdown and it appears there is a grab for elemental modification within that Formula, there just isn't specification as to where it's grabbing it from.

Thanks in advance folks.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: riggz raggz

Xifanie

1. Skillset types are not flexible whatsoever. You need to choose between Arithmetics or the gun stuff.

2. No

3. I have only made a hack to fix this in the PSX version. The bug is that any ability with "Weapon Strike" makes the formula takes the weapon's WP, but also its elements, completely overriding the elements the ability is supposed to be using.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

yamish

Wow thanks for quick reply

1. BRB, gotta go cry
2. So much for my beast tamer style class for now

3. I figured it had to be doing that, thanks for confirming. Given the class is "Warmage", I'm not opposed to using a MA formula. But I'm going for an elemental importing, status applying, faith independent solution. It appears the formula for Geomancer's may work for this.

Given that: If I use the geomancer formula, but have weapon strike set, can i assume that it will override and again pull element from the weapon even though WP is not part of the actual formula. Also, if I leave the animations as they are (modeled after Beowulf sword abilities) but uncheck weapon strike, will the animation still play with the equipped weapon? I'm curious because if so, then the sword requirement for the abilities could stay in place and there would be no aesthetic impact.

Xifanie

Unfortunately, it's a "Use the attack animation of the weapon used for this ability" kind of a deal, so you'll start long-range punching things (with 0wp in Agrias'/Meliadoul's/Orlandu's cases).

And I'm not really positive on the Geomancy one. Feel free to test yourself.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

yamish

February 04, 2019, 03:59:56 pm #4 Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:10:40 pm by yamish
Thanks for all your help. I have 3 ideas to try to achieve what I'm going for. Gotta tweak and reapply patch then do lioneditor to hop straight to testing. Will take a minute but I'll post here my results

Edit: Results. Using the Geomancer formula with weapon strike checked results in applying the element and status modifiers appropriately while swinging the sword. Without weapon strike results as you stated, a punch during the animation even though a sword is still required to be equipped to use the skill.