• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:03:08 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

reinoe

Quote from: Dokurider on June 29, 2013, 08:39:47 pm
[FFT Arena 138d] What Killed The Ice Age? (The Damned)

[FFT Arena 138d] So You Think You Can Dance? (Reinoe)

Thanks a lot Doku!  With these results I'm now convinced as to which team I will bring to the Season. 
Just kidding, these results muddle things up more than ever.  When I saw Air Krieg I thought I would lose at least one of these matches.  And After I saw all those saves going off against Barren's team I thought I would be doomed.  All three matches were close in their own way too, Barren and Doku's matches were real nailbiters.  I actually could have survived the Thieves attacks if I lowered their Brave.  I know what to do about SYTYCD's Bravery and how it prioritizes dancing.  I'm just really happy with how the matches turned out.  Plus one of my units joins the "I survived that Decapitate proc" club.
My dreams can come true!

woodenbandman

Justice Hobos will fight any time, anywhere!

The Damned

(A belated thanks to you for recording things, Dokurider.)

So noted, woodenbandman. I'm going to try to start recording again at the same time that I have to record the matches for losers, which will happen after I'm able to bug Dokurider for a memory card.

As such, I'll take (reasonable) requests to record.

Also, to preempt you, reinoe, I'll "test" your Bow Gun team, but I'll do against a couple of my teams so no one else has to get their ass brutally kicked by its Armor Break shenanigans. I have three particular teams in mind (that I really should re-post...).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

reinoe

No need to test my teams.  It would just create competition for Season 2 videos anyway.  Thanks for the offer though.
My dreams can come true!

Barren

We can resume videos after the tournament is done. I would personally wait until 1.39 is ready
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

The Damned

(So noted.)

I can wait until after the tournament, especially since it's kinda...vague of when 1.39 will be ready even if FFMaster is around. I don't think it would be that distracting to do side videos, but it would definitely be easier on me, so....

Regardless, I'm still open to suggestions and things since I have at least 10 open spaces if reinoe apparently doesn't want that team tested even though Bow Gun might change going into 1.39.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

formerdeathcorps

October 01, 2013, 10:23:35 am #2388 Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:48:29 am by formerdeathcorps
Yeah, that was why I edited Parasite right when you were making that video.  Nameless Dance is awful; the AI will try to cast it until the entire enemy party is slowed (not usually possible) or until you run out of MP.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Barren

Don't worry about it, I was making changes as I kept testing.

After what I watched I may keep the initial strategy I used to begin with

Barren

Dokurider

Shit, should have went with Repel Knife instead of Throwing Knife. I also want to tone down that Monk's Fury for a future update. Good job Zotis.

Malroth

Man My Sabredance team seems Really Strange in Hindsight

Overall a fairly Decent First team, with no useless units and no major blunders,  Has Solid Offense but makes a few choices that hurt his staying power.  Here's my take on it.

Fenire  A Shiruken Optimized Ninja running Item, Attack up and Move HP up and Counterflood
Good Early game Offense and Speedy enough to be an effective Healer with item, However Low MP pool and poor choice of reaction limit its staying power.

what i'd change: I'd Swap out your low damage Counterflood (since your MA is crap) for Abandon,and drop Echo Grass for Ether since you're pretty much silence irrevelent but need MP restoration for shiruken. Also i'd drop Fury by 10-20 since you don't need to be good at weapon offense

Rufio, Item Monk
I don't really like this guy, Item isn't giving much that Punch art isn't giving you better Especially if you run Attack up instead of Throw Item.  Another use of Counter Flood on a unit that doesn't have the Native MA to make good use of it. Revive and Phoenix down together are almost entirely redundant and one or the other can easily be dropped for more JP.

What I'd Change.  Counter flood-> Auto Potion.  Attack UP-> Martial Arts  Move HP Up->Warpath

Zotis  Male Drawout Wizard.
17MA magic attack up drawouts HURT!!!!! Definately Your Scariest Damage dealer And probably your best built unit, Too bad he has trouble surviving to do his job.

What I'd Change Add Murasame for AOE healing, Lower Faith to lower magic vunerability since you can deal insane Damage regardless of faith.

Iria YinYang Magic Dancer
I'm confused as to what she's supposed to do,  Is she glass cannon Melee?  Is she Status Support?  Either way 70/70 Is about the Riskiest choice you can make with a character and PA Save units Really need self healing or loads Of HP (preferably both) in order to shine.

What I'd Do different:  Redesign from the ground Up. Want a Glass cannon Melee?  Dancer with Chivalry, Angel Ring and Coral sword Grand Crossing everything to death.    Want a tanky inflicter of heavy Game winning Statuses? Defense up Abandon Move MP up Yin Yang Magic Samurai,  Want a Nameless Dance Skirmisher? Cursed Ring Equip Armor Martial Arts Dancer.

On the Whole I like your team and New blood is always welcome Some of my Critiques may have come off harsher than intended but I believe the game is more fun if everybody learns from their mistakes and every team works better than the ones made before

Zotis

Wow you guys are awesome!

Thanks so much for testing my team out and for all the helpful tips and pointers.  Dokurider's video was intimidating (I was worried that might happen), but Barren's helped me see some of the merits shining.  I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want to change.

Thank you Dokurider and Malroth for your critiques, they were very helpful.  I didn't think you were harsh at all Malroth.

Fenire the Ninja: I swapped Counter Flood for Abandon. I dropped Echo Grass and Antidote to make up for the excess JP.  I dropped my Geomancer class and instead took Overwhelm, Move+1, and picked up Ether.  I also decided to swap his Wizard Mantle for an Elf Mantle to maximize Abandon.  I traded the Power Sleeve for Earth Clothes for a tiny bit more MP as well as the synergy to be healed by the Monk and Wizard.  He will do less damage, but overall should be a lot more effective.

Rufio the Monk: I traded the power sleeve for an Earth Mantle and swapped Attack Up for Martial Arts.  I decided to drop Revive and instead picked up Spin Fist and Repeating fist with the extra JP.  I wonder if I should swap Move-HP Up and Counter Flood for more useful abilities?  But I really don't see anything better for 1000 JP.

Zotis the Wizard: The main reason I don't want to lower his faith is because of the chance to counter with counter magic and the chance to land Frog.  He already has Marasame.  So far I haven't changed anything on him.  Is it really worth lowering his faith anyway?  Should I choose another counter?  It's hard to find something else within JP limits.

Iria the Dancer: I decided to make her more supportive and a bit tanky.  I traded Yin Yang Magic for White Magic and changed all of her gear.  Orichalum, Gold Hairpin, Brigandine, and Diamond Armlet, and traded Defense Up for Magic Defense Up.

I've updated my team in the submissions thread.  Thanks again guys for being so helpful.  It really made my day to see those videos on youtube.  *Goes back and watches them again*

Malroth

October 18, 2013, 02:29:41 am #2395 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:36:02 am by Malroth

Zotis
Male
Libra
Wizard
Draw Out
Counter Magic
Magic Attack Up
Teleport
Wizard Rod

Holy Miter
Wizard Outfit
Red Shoes

Frog
Chirijiraden, Masamune, Bizen Boat, Kikuichimoji, Asura

Masamune =/= Muramasa =/= Murasame  all 3 exist and all 3 deal different things.

Countermagic is great if you've already invested into Unlocking Wizard so you don't need a new counter but dropping Faith by 10 would mean you are no longer 1shot by a heavily boosted Bolt2s or low MA Holys and unboosted Spellguns go from 2hkoing you to 3hko, While only dropping your countermagic chance by 5%  You are correct about It costing Frog a lot of accuracy though. 

Zotis

Oh snap, yeah I know Muramasa, Marasame, and Masamune are all different, but I actually thought I had Marasame.  Although I can now heal all of my units with Kikuichimoji, my wizard can't heal himself with it.  I only have 150 JP remaining... I could drop Frog.  Frog has lost some of its effectiveness since people turn back into their human form when they are dropped.  Maybe I should drop it in favor of lowering his Faith.  I guess it's just the smart thing to do even though I really love Frog.

Malroth

or drop Asura,  Since you aren't boosting elemental drawouts Chirijiaden will do more damage

Zotis

Unless the target is oiled right?  Also Asura is the only attacking draw out that hits around friendly units.

Barren

October 18, 2013, 06:42:08 am #2399 Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:30:23 pm by Barren
Asura hits only enemies while the rest of the draw out skills hits everyone else. And plus since in your match with dokurider your wizard damaged his lancer heavily while oiled was because asura is fire elemental as I explained in round 3 of that video. Its nice to use oil to increase elemental damage isn't it? :P