• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:32:23 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Staggered job progression

Started by Laggy, May 20, 2011, 07:15:12 pm

Laggy

I've been racking my head on this for a couple of days, so I'm wondering if anyone can come up with a feasible solution.

Say you don't want to use job level prerequisites for jobs, but you want certain jobs to become unlocked upon completion of a particular battle or chapter (i.e. FF5 with gaining new jobs via the Crystals). Is there a sane way to implement this?

MagiusRerecros

AFAIK, not without some serious asm hacking.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Pride

Maybe possible through some event commands but I don't know them or if they even exist.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Eternal

Maybe research could start with how Ramza changes jobs from Chapter 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Eternal248 on May 20, 2011, 07:44:02 pm
Maybe research could start with how Ramza changes jobs from Chapter 1 to 2 and from 3 to 4?

This. I bet a code from an event triggers ramza's evolution. Making many many of these might be impossible though. I like your idea however.

Pride

I've looked for it for a long time and have never found it sadly
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Xifanie

What you guys are talking about (i.e. ramza evolving) is completely unrelated.
You could just make a simple ASM hack that artificially sets the required job levels to 15 or something if the player's story progression byte isn't at least X amount. You would just need to hack the job change wheel really, and when it reads to check equippable skillsets. There is no real way to prevent players from inviting enemies in that particular class though.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Dome

Making enemies immune to invite should do the trick (Or just remove invite from the game, like I did in 1.4)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

formerdeathcorps

May 21, 2011, 02:46:50 am #8 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:47:32 am by formerdeathcorps
Quote from: Xifanie on May 21, 2011, 02:12:07 am
What you guys are talking about (i.e. ramza evolving) is completely unrelated.
You could just make a simple ASM hack that artificially sets the required job levels to 15 or something if the player's story progression byte isn't at least X amount. You would just need to hack the job change wheel really, and when it reads to check equippable skillsets. There is no real way to prevent players from inviting enemies in that particular class though.

Yes there is.  Just don't have anyone of that job show up in randoms or story battles until a given point in the story (or if you absolutely must have enemy thieves, give the AI non-recruitable NPC special thieves).
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Xifanie

Haha, owned :P
It's been too long since I last hacked FFT.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

pokeytax

This is not a hard hack. I am trying to add the functionality to the RAD hack, which might take a couple months due to other stuff, but rest assured it would get done long before your patch's release.

You do have to consider how the enemy job tree and JP/skill learning will function, though.

Laggy

@pokeytax: That would be pretty awesome, and yeah, you're dead right on that. Fortunately I don't even plan to bother with JP or job level progression so that won't be a concern for this concept.