• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:09:22 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Gambler Job Discussion Thread (Update on First Post!)

Started by LastingDawn, November 18, 2008, 11:10:37 pm

dwib

November 22, 2008, 02:34:38 am #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Laws of the Real World?.

Why yes LD, isn't your hack named Final Reality Tactics??

ShadowGamerDarkly

November 22, 2008, 07:18:16 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ShadowGamerDarkly
Two Spaces makes sence if we are going to keep the ax crit as well.

Quote from: "dwib"
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Laws of the Real World?.

Why yes LD, isn't your hack named Final Reality Tactics??
lol Reality.

LastingDawn

December 06, 2008, 02:10:57 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Update on First Post!

These skills aren't 100% final, so if anyone has any more idea's they'd like to submit I will definitely take them into consideration.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

The Damned

December 06, 2008, 02:16:38 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
You might want to test out Tantalize. I was trying to test out Gambler in my test patch of OtSoD two weeks ago that I accidentally saved another test patch over and for some reason, Charm would never work, only Confuse.

So...yeah. I guess that it's outside of Darts doing pathetic-ish damage for the most part, though I guess that's kind of the point.

Nice to see that you found a compromise with Roulette. I still wonder if there's a way to make it work like FFTA's Roulette....
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

LastingDawn

December 06, 2008, 02:38:46 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yep, I tested it, and while it seems that Confusion does seem to hit more... Charm did hit as well, once in a great while, so it is cetainly there.

Yes, Death Or Haste just assured no one would ever use it. But if it's just Slow (which is potentially damaging) or Haste there is proper use and a proper trade off for such.

Art of War

Shade

December 06, 2008, 05:11:58 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Shade
Just gonna give Idea.
Skill: does range of one but area effect is 2. It will have low change on doing death status(or some another deadly status that can end the game)
 Did you get the idea?
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

boomkick

December 06, 2008, 07:10:13 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Russian Roulette- You, and 1 AOE around you (or if you can, make it target yourself and one enemy), has a chance to die.

Cigarette- Since he gambles, he is a chain smoker of MAGIC CIGS! Either grants you haste or poison.

Skip Sandwich

December 06, 2008, 07:36:46 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Coin Toss: Range 1, area 1, linear attack, random fire, deals moderate-heavy non-elemental magical damage to either the Gambler or his target (only hits once, so 50-50 odds).

Dice Off: Range 1, area 1, linear attack, random fire, deals light-moderate non-elemental magical damage 1-6 times randomly between the gambler and his target.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

DarthPaul

December 06, 2008, 07:38:13 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Keno - Extremely low chance of obliterating the enemy. All of them. Instant as in no charge time.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

LastingDawn

December 06, 2008, 07:51:21 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh I like these! Coin Toss and Dice Off are classical Gambling skills! Russian Roulette and Cigarette are just a bit out there, since, I don't think I have any way to stop it affecting everyone in the AoE, not only that, but if the Gambler is equipped with an Anti-Dead item, the spell will be null to the caster, which kills the point. Cigarettes... just a bit too much. Also this guy already knows a haste spell.

Art of War

DarthPaul

December 06, 2008, 07:58:56 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Royal Flush - 13% chance of dead with meteor animation on 1 target with a range of 3.

Reason for 13% - It's unlucky.

Reason for the meteor - It's is statistically proven that you are more likely to get hit by a meteor than to get a Royal Flush.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

LastingDawn

December 07, 2008, 10:33:31 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
While very interesting, and possible... it is highly impractical, I couldn't see anyone actually using it, that was the trouble with Roulette's Death or Haste, it was too imbalanced, and as this stands it's a bit too... unusable.

Art of War

The Damned

December 11, 2008, 07:09:00 pm #32 Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:19:10 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"Coin Toss: Range 1, area 1, linear attack, random fire, deals moderate-heavy non-elemental magical damage to either the Gambler or his target (only hits once, so 50-50 odds).

Dice Off: Range 1, area 1, linear attack, random fire, deals light-moderate non-elemental magical damage 1-6 times randomly between the gambler and his target.

So like I was telling you I was going to do last night Lasting Dawn, I finally got around to testing out the Coin Toss and Dice Off. More precisely, I got around to testing out the Range 1, Area 1, Linear Attack, Random Fire dealy since I've been having trouble with Linear Attack with regards to my patch--accursed new Scratch.

I guess there's one thing I can say this is my 300th post: This is madness!

No! This! Is! Bad! Grammar!

(Seriously, they work though. I think I know how Linear Attack works now....)

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

LastingDawn

December 11, 2008, 09:54:21 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Excellent work! I'll implement them tommorow.

Art of War

The Damned

December 14, 2008, 12:41:37 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Even though the Gambler I've decided on will be decidedly magical, I might as well tell you that I plan to test some things out with regards to certain Random mechanics. I should have time to get all of them done since I don't really wish to go anywhere today, but who knows.

I will try and report to you as soon as possible.

Formula EDIT: Okay, so these there were only minor things that I tested out that could maybe be used for Gambler:

• First and foremost, I just wanted to see what happened with Random and Cancel and any other type of Inflict Status being checked off at the same time: it makes the formula just be 00% regardless. I was kind of hoping that it would work so Gambler could randomly heal things, but alas.
  • I guess I shouldn't really be (as) surprised, but formula 63, the one that Throw implicitly uses, seems to work rather flawlessly unlike the Item-based formulas. (Okay, that's kind of unfair. The only one that I know doesn't really work is the Phoenix Down one, which is egregiously weird anyway.) I haven't tested whether they're affected by Catch, though.
  • The Corsair from F11 has crappy abilities; that is all.

The Damned

December 24, 2008, 10:08:44 am #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Ugh, I hate double posting, especially since I still haven't tested this out myself, but I was curious if one of the statuses when it came to your version of Roulette seemed like it popped up more than the other.

Checking in FFTPatcher, it seems like it should be Slow if that is true.

You see, I'm beginning to develop the theory that, due to what happens with Tantalize at the moment, with the "Random" Inflict Status Tag flagged, it seems like the status with the highest/higher priority has a (far) greater chance of occuring.

I've yet to test this out, though, so I was mostly just wondering. I will try and test out with my version of Roulette, but it doesn't work on Undead and I expect to run into those during the course of testing, so....

LastingDawn

December 24, 2008, 01:11:17 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Odd... but a very interesting theory. Also with Roulette it truthfully seems about Half and Half.

Art of War

The Damned

December 24, 2008, 01:40:23 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Hmm...I wonder what the problem with Tantalize is then. Maybe because Confusion and Charm are both detrimental statuses where as Haste and Slow are (direct) opposites.

Hmmm....I'll have to try something tomorrow since I likely won't have time tonight.

Zuka

January 07, 2009, 01:06:16 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
Quote from: "darthpaul"Reason for the meteor - It's is statistically proven that you are more likely to get hit by a meteor than to get a Royal Flush.

I got a royal flush one time, I'll never forget it, I was playing poker with some friends at a nudist colony, I dropped two cards to be dealt two, in my hand was a jack queen, and king, all spades, and i only hoped for the best, everyone got cards dealt, and the two i needed were the two i got, one ace and one 10 both of spades... it was so super sweet...

Quote from: "LastingDawn"Laws of the Real World? That statement confuses me... I don't quite recall ever throwing a card only three panels... then again, eh.. Two panel sounds fine, I should probably compile a skillset from what was said earlier in this thread as well.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen a real world panel, let alone have I thrown cards over one. *snicker*

NKKCLOUD

March 16, 2009, 05:05:13 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NKKCLOUD
how about these

slot machine - if hit ALL allies get haste and reflect if miss all enemies get it

blackjack - a peforming spell that steals gil from enemies if hits

gambling face - adds confusion to any enemy arround the gambler ( because they think if he's liying or saying the truth)

killing the dealer - adds berseck to enemies in front (5 squares) of the gambler

false praying - regen/protect/shell to one ally (range of 4 squares)