• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:38:33 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Calculator replacement

Started by TheAvelon, September 26, 2018, 01:54:32 pm

TheAvelon

Hello! I created an account to post this question. I'm new to FFT modding, but I did several searches and couldn't figure out if this was possible or not, so forgive me if this has been answered before.

I want to change Math Skill to function like All Magic, ideally drawing skills from the other magic skillsets the way it already does but being a normal magic using job. I'm not a fan of Math Skill and would prefer to simply have a job that can access those spells but still casts them normally.

Is this possible?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

Xifanie

Pretty sure you just need to change the skillset action menu (Action Menu tab) to normal and apply the Math Skill reflect and the Math Skill slowdown ASM fixes.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

Changing it to normal won't let it draw all the same skills from the other jobs, though. I don't think there's a way to actually do that in practice; IIRC skillsets are hardcoded to not have more than 16 slots?

I don't think anyone's actually done an ASM to have a Calculator replacement draw the spells the same way but make them just usable like normal. Most people just prefer to change the Calculator into a more normal job - typically a Blue Mage?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

Oh right, what Nyzer said. Sorry, too tired.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

TheAvelon

I was thinking that might be the case. Blue Mage is all well and good, though I prefer the concept of a Red Mage or Sage a la old-school titles. Either of those I'm sure could be done but then you're looking at overlapping skills and that's not ideal.

Thanks for the info! I'll be back with something in a while. :)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

Nyzer

Take a look at the Jot5 Redguard if you like the idea of a Red Mage with its own unique skillset. It does involve altering the skillsets of the first four caster jobs so they're set up differently than just four tiers of the same spells, but I think it works out fairly well.

Basically, the typical jobs get the higher end and varied-range spells, while the Redguard gets a bunch of standardized low-Vert tolerance spells from each of their spell families. Priest only gets Full-Life; Redguard only gets Life. That sort of thing.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown