• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:01:37 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Reks

Quote from: The Damned on March 21, 2015, 11:02:32 pm
(Ugh. I'm an idiot. Like always, I knew I forgot something. In this instance it was noting that Mimes still don't use MP for some stupid reason. I'll fix that later, just like I should finally update my team entries tonight.)

Interesting. That gives me an idea, if I can actually remember to follow THROUGH with it this time.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

ShadowDragon15

I wouldn't mind seeing my team getting another match. I don't mind who against.
Strategy is just magical.

Anima Zero

Thanks for the videos Otabo!

That first round was a nail biter as I was more or less down two units for a majority of the match, but once that Grand Cross midway through went off to drop a couple units, the match started going in my direction.

Second round my Mediator was of no help again, heh.  She got undead'd and killed off almost immediately, but still, my other three units managed to secure a victory.  Pretty happy with how the Paladin turned out honestly (Though it would be nice to see him do an Accumulate or two before getting into the enemy's range one time, heh).
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Shintroy

March 22, 2015, 10:19:34 pm #3944 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:08:58 am by Shintroy
Earth Absorb vs Water Absorb

Depends on the map in this match up.  silentkaster should take it on large maps. If Gau lives I win though. Doubted it since I was so torn between giving him Warpath or Move-HP Up. Should've given him Dspirit and Move-HP Up.

Round 1 was a slaughter. Gau was too much of a liability with Warpath. It put too much responsibility on the Scholar and took away from my team's damage output and made wasting turns recovering highly likely.

Round 2 - Went better since Gau got to line himself up and act.

Round 3 - Really even all the way until the very end.

GG. Great to have Otabo's commentary again. 0-2 with The Veldt. Berserk mime could definitely work with an absorb team though. I shouldn't have used warpath. Everyone on my team but Gau was perfect. I'll be able to do the next version of the Veldt better.

Welcome to FFT Arena Joorum. Looking forward to your debut match.

----------------
Paladins vs Fire Absorb
Anima has a huge advantage. Single Class teams usually can't survive long term fights against regular teams. 8 Speed Paladins with no haste? GG in advance.

Round 1 - One paladin to out shine them all says Blaze the paladin. Clutch grand cross turns it around for Anima. Really surprised that Anima was losing this even though it was basically 3 of The Damned's units vs 4 of his own.

Round 2 - 8 speed. No mobility. Large Map.

I don't think any single class team can top silentkaster's thief team.

----
Summoners vs Fire Absorb

The Damned takes  it due to Shadowdragon not being able to close the distance and not having enough disruption/OHKO potential.

GG for The Damned. Did not see this coming. It's usually a good idea to bet against The Damned.

Fire Absorb vs Oracles
Since Shadow has no status protection, and lost to the all summoner team I'm going to go with Rouroni taking this one. Can't doubt the power of status.

Round 1 and 2 - Put way too much pressure on that paladin to hold that team together. The round was won by Rouroni the moment the Paladin got petrified.

GG to Rouroni. silentkaster is right about this not being an actual Fire Absorb team.

WB to recording silentkaster. The game sound is too loud.
Some day my people will be free.

silentkaster

March 23, 2015, 12:01:04 am #3945 Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:49:20 am by silentkaster
Two evenly matched teams. Thought I might be at a disadvantage since Shintroy's Lore resolved after mine (which meant that he'd heal away all the damage I had done and leave my team hurt.) I may have to slow Chemist down and add more defense although I hate doing that. Still though, on an elemental absorb team, it's not totally necessary for her to be really fast. Anyway, GG Shintroy.

Thanks for the videos and featuring my team Otabo!

Edit: FFT Arena 1.39C- ShadowDragon15 (Fire Cross) vs. Rouroni Elmdor (Ladies of the Night)

I also recorded Barren (Some Offensive Team) vs. Otabo (Springtime Sisters). I need to find some music for the match and it will likely be up tomorrow or Tuesday.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Elmdork

Thanks for the feature, silentkaster! You're doing a great job.

The ladies for the most part, were untouched from the 1.38 versions. Time magic works a little differently, but I wouldn't change it. Love the commentary silentkaster. Your emulator sounds a bit funny though

GG shadowdragon. Almost had me for a second there. I agree with silentkaster about the absorb. You could easily swap the tactician's blade  for asura or phoenix blade and fit grand cross in there somehow. A bard with draw out could also further capitalize on the absorb, but I'd choose a different element. Good foundation, just needs some equip tweaks, maybe have innate reraise and lose the ability to ensure double grand cross. The lancer is pretty sweet, does her job.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

The Damned

(And as the days go by, I become ever lazier and lazier.)

An instance of this is not getting around to the stuff I said I would do Saturday night/Sunday morning, though I should stop expecting to get stuff done around that time when it's one of the few times I actually watch TV. Still, "Half of No Quarter" shouldn't have fought again and I have no one to blame but myself for not deleting it sooner given I said I would do so after it first fought. "Whoops".

Regardless, I'll re-watch the other five videos later still. For right now, I'll just say thanks, Otabo, and thanks, silentkaster, though I could hardly hear you mid-match during your recording this time, silentkaster. The in-game sound effects were too loud relative to your voice, especially Haste 2 and Slow 2, which were basically destroying my ears at the normal volume I use for videos. Just for your information and all that next time around. Still, thanks.

GG to both Anima Zero and Shadowdragon15.

So, my crappy team with no ranged AoE or high speed or high movement versus two ranged AoE users, one unit with Quickening & revival & 50% Don't Act and a Paladin that hits decently hard when both he and the aforementioned unit can't be Blinded, all backed up by Haste. ...Yeah, not really at surprising I lost this one, so I'm not really sure why you thought I had the advantage, Otabo, but meh. I can only imagine how poorly this would have gone were Steal Heart actually usable against the same sex.

For what it's worth, this was way closer than I thought it would be because of that, in part because Anima Zero's Mediator decided to be absolutely idiotic in round two and charge in after getting turned Undead by Necronomicon. The Mediator was generally far less of a problem than I thought she was going to be, if only because she kept dying. Meh.

Not much else to say except that I've come to despise Nurse (and Iron Will...and actually-balanced-now Reraise), at least when it comes to trying to put them on Grand Cross users. No more doing that for me if I can reasonably avoid it.

Similarly, I'm not all too surprised that silentkaster took this, if only because I have such a negative opinion on Mimes by this point that to me having an Always: Berserk Mime is basically just asking to lose. Still, given said Berserk Mime is backed up by the still-quadratic-even-though-it-shouldn't-be Earth Slash and the still-hilariously-overpowered Quake, this being close wasn't too surprising.

The third round was quite brutal though. Dead bodies everywhere.

This, on the other hand, I'm extremely surprised I won given how disadvantageous  a match-up it was for this untested, I-figure-this-probably-sucks-but-since-Otabo-"challenged"-it team. I mean, despite all the AoE I had, half of Shadowdragon15's team absorbed Ice, three units had M-EV, the Bard outright had "double" Shell essentially, the Lancer had basically instant Balance and the Squire could constantly instantly heal himself with Grand Cross while doing damage. Between all that, my usual bad luck and Summoners being ridiculously squishy for their relatively lackluster damage (even ignoring the fact that I'm further handicapped by using two male Summoners on a themed team)...yeah.

I only really won this because my luck wasn't as horrible as it usually is, getting Charmed that many times and Counter never going off aside, and because the second and third maps rather favored my team, even with as little damage as it was doing per casting. Shadowdragon15's Bard also lacking Esuna helped a lot in the second round when Frog actually hit the Paladin. That Squire was the only unit that could heal--literally Heal--Stop and yet the most vulnerable unit to Stop also similarly helped a great deal. Admittedly, I do feel a bit dirty for using the current version of Stop which I think it still slightly overpowered, at least its Speed relative to its accuracy, but that can't be helped. At least it's not utterly broken like Quickening, so I'll stop there.

ShadowDragon15 did also get a tad unlucky at times though, especially since I think that Balance that missed in the second round had a 99% chance of hitting. Still not as bad when I missed that crucial Raise 2 at 99% during "IV a Darker Future"'s first match, but I do wonder if it hitting would have changed things....

Fun Fact: I'm relatively sure this is the first match that I've ever been hit by Odin and not had at least one unit get killed by Instant Death despite it "only" being a 20% chance. This is especially funny given I was the one throwing Odins at myself, so maybe my bad luck with inflicting status was stronger than my bad luck with getting hit by status. Shrug.

So...this round basically boiled down to "And this is why you pretty much always take Esuna when you're using White Magic, even if you already have White Magic with Esuna on another unit". For all the (wonderful) damage that two of the Oracles were doing with Whale Whisker, ShadowDragon15's team basically (slowly) lost to Petrify in both rounds when it absolutely didn't have to due to the available JP. It's really as simple as that, especially given how quickly both rounds devolved into a 3 vs. 4 scenario.

Still, nice to see Petrify be relevant for once outside of ending a round, especially on an all-Oracle team. As it is, pretty much every team either cures or blocks Petrify, with the latter aspect have greatly risen now that Jade Armlet is actually worth using. So it being the sole reason someone loses is pretty rare (even though it also effectively just happened to Otabo's team vs. Shintroy's team).

Sigh. So much to catch-up on still, like always. Regardless, I'll try to see if I can start recording things again by next weekend, especially since I'm not doing anything. As it is though, ePSXe is still acting weird on my newest laptop and I have no idea how to fix that most basic thing even before all the other potential issues.

In the meantime, I need to update a bunch of things in the next couple of hours since this is probably all the time I'll get today or, at least, two hours is all the time I should take given how behind I am.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

Well do you need some of my settings Damned?
You dare cross blades with me?

Otabo

Quote from: silentkaster on March 23, 2015, 12:01:04 am
I also recorded Barren (Some Offensive Team) vs. Otabo (Springtime Sisters). I need to find some music for the match and it will likely be up tomorrow or Tuesday.

Great. I need to see if I need to actually update Sisters since they haven't been touched for almost two years now (yeah, it's been that long since I updated them). Probably so. But we'll see. Looking forward to it.

ShadowDragon15

Ok, the bard has esuna, all I need is just one more match, that's all. Thank ya much.
Strategy is just magical.

The Damned

(...And of course I still can't get around to fixing things in time. I should have my teams back up by sometime later today though.)

Someone nag about making an edit to the Mime post in the Team thread with regards to both not using MP and with regards to Berserk status if I haven't done so by later today, please.

Quote from: Barren on March 23, 2015, 08:54:15 am
Well do you need some of my settings Damned?

Sure. That worked quite well before, but that was on an Asus laptop as well. This one is an Acer and I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. On top of that, I'm not sure which version of ePSXe "should" work best on it even if it was working since last time you helped a while back--gee, like two years now--that was ePSXe 1.7 or something, which I still have. It's just that it's now up to ePSXe 1.925 or something, which I've also downloaded but haven't had anymore success with getting to run well, though at least it's running at all (for a bit).

On top of that, I don't have anything to record anymore even if I can get ePSXe to work, but one thing at a time.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Jumza

Quote from: The Damned on March 24, 2015, 03:24:32 am
Something something ePSXe 1.925

Thought I should mention newer versions of ePSXe seem to have a harder time running FFT than the older ones. I use 1.6 (I believe), and 1.7 should be fine too.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

silentkaster

You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Kurosabes

I wasn't aware of the 1.9.25 release but if it's troublesome like you say it is, I'll stay at 1.9.0. This is working well for me.

I've found myself a way to generate teams (though it is a lot more tedious) so you'll be having some more videos in the near future.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Shintroy

March 25, 2015, 03:12:19 am #3955 Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:09:55 am by Shintroy
Aggro Team vs Team

Betting on Dokurider to take it since his team has more strengths than weaknesses.

Round 1 - One of the longest loops I've ever seen.

Round 2 - Even after the mime got petrified Dokurider still had the advantage, but couldn't take it due to really really lucky procs for Joorum.

Round 3 - Lots of extra mime damage made this a quick round. I've never seen a weapon proc go of so many times and at the same time do nothing. I miss the old mage masher.

GJ to Joorum for taking a round off this team. You'll get the hang of team making once you learn about different types of team builds. Great suggestions by silentkaster btw.

Hybrid Offense vs Status/Tank/Turtle Team
Otabo's team, although severely outdated is still surprisingly strong. Has all the tools to stand against Barren's team. I'm betting on Barren since his team is made for 139. Not sure about that Scholar though.

Round 1 - Half of the round was just two of Barren's units taking apart the sisters. Teleport made the map heavily favor Barren. Loved the pincer formation at the end.

Round 2 -Great round. So many shifts in momentum and map control.

Round 3 - Map advantage again due to teleport.

GG. I think it would've been a different story if SSisters was updated. That or a more drawn out fight between the two.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Self Destruct vs Aggro
I think for Barren to take this the Thief is going to have to put in tons of work on the mediators. Otabo's team is gets more frustrating as the round goes on so Barren's at a disadvantage in this one.

Round 1 - Started evenly matched, but several minutes in Otabo's team shows no signs of wearing down. The Speed check and the 200+ damage Sasuke Knife slashes were pretty funny. Maximum Disrespect.

Round 2 -
rape

Round 3 - Okay I didn't see the new changes to 5 Nights.

GG. It all came down to if Barren could close it out early. Sick Priest

Some day my people will be free.

Barren

March 25, 2015, 06:09:30 am #3956 Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:22:25 am by Barren
definitely took a chance with that undead scholar but the RNG blessed me for the most part. Otherwise, I had all the damage I need to take out otabo's units quick enough. Teleport really helped me out get close to his team. GG Otabo, it was a good match. One problem I do see with your team like Shintroy was saying is that it could have been polished a bit better but otherwise it was a good match
You dare cross blades with me?

Elmdork

Nice tweaks to the team, much better than muramasa. Everyone's debut is rough, believe me when I say mine was rougher(much rougher). I look forward to seeing your team designs, you have some crafty ideas.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Otabo

Yeeep, time to update Sisters. Figured. It's been a long time coming, though.

Kurosabes

March 25, 2015, 10:41:59 pm #3959 Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:20:34 am by White Knight Wiegraf
Videos in the spoilers

• Discord username: Kurosabes#0312