• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Elmdork

Thanks for the feature TL, good to see u again.

Geez, won that by the skin of my teeth. Archers not functioning properly at all. There may have been priority tweaks... I knew they liked hawk eye, but not that much. Switching back to arm aim to see if they use it at all. Will give them battle boots, lose the absorb idea and rock can have the germinas boots. I don't wanna get rid of hawk eye but... that was pretty retarded.

GG anima, honestly u should have won that. RNG likes my archers for some reason.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Shintroy

Themed Team vs Fire Absorb
Samurai and Archers are my favorite combo so I'm going with Rouroni on this one. The wizard looks like the biggest threat on Anima's team but I don't think  he'll be able to stop two units with Hawk's Eye.

Round 1 - Incredibly close match. Didn't loop at any point it was just a evenly matched fight. Anima eventually took the round due to status. Shoutouts to FE.

Round 2 - Easy match for Rouroni due to map advantage. Samurai have innate move in water, and archers both have bows and severely out range the casters. Strong Grand Cross Paladin Anima has there.

Round 3 - Quick round for Rouroni. Lots of OHKOs from Rock (I think X is more suited for this team) and the ninja, like the other rounds, really didn't do anything but tend to himself.

GG. Two well built teams imo. For Anima though, the ninja needs to be redone to suit the team better. Not a great item bot build imo. I think a Two Swords Thief would've been better due to innate flee, 10 speed, and higher HP. Lose Teleport and get Move-HP Up maybe.

Idk though I'm no good at absorb teams

Requesting Otabo's new team "Magical Thorns" vs Bad Breath since it's heavy status/caster like he's also requesting.
Some day my people will be free.

Anima Zero

March 17, 2015, 04:23:55 pm #3922 Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:01:57 pm by Anima Zero
Thanks for the video TrueLight!

Well, for a team I made up while I was feeling sick, it performed pretty well overall, even if I did come out on the losing end.  Definitely liked how the Grand Cross Paladin was performing (almost wanted it to solo at one point during the second round there, heh).  Still, think the team could use a couple minor tweaks, especially for the Ninja.  Good match there sir!

EDIT:  I suppose another match for Darkfire would help with some critiques on what works and what doesn't now that I've had time to muse over my team.  Don't have any real preference for what team to fight so just choose whatever would seem ideal.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Otabo

March 17, 2015, 06:21:13 pm #3923 Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:55:06 pm by Otabo
Quote from: Shintroy on March 16, 2015, 08:27:09 pm
Themed Team vs Fire Absorb
Samurai and Archers are my favorite combo so I'm going with Rouroni on this one. The wizard looks like the biggest threat on Anima's team but I don't think  he'll be able to stop two units with Hawk's Eye.

Round 1 - Incredibly close match. Didn't loop at any point it was just a evenly matched fight. Anima eventually took the round due to status. Shoutouts to FE.

Round 2 - Easy match for Rouroni due to map advantage. Samurai have innate move in water, and archers both have bows and severely out range the casters. Strong Grand Cross Paladin Anima has there.

Round 3 - Quick round for Rouroni. Lots of OHKOs from Rock (I think X is more suited for this team) and the ninja, like the other rounds, really didn't do anything but tend to himself.

GG. Two well built teams imo. For Anima though, the ninja needs to be redone to suit the team better. Not a great item bot build imo. I think a Two Swords Thief would've been better due to innate flee, 10 speed, and higher HP. Lose Teleport and get Move-HP Up maybe.

Idk though I'm no good at absorb teams

Requesting Otabo's new team "Magical Thorns" vs Bad Breath since it's heavy status/caster like he's also requesting.

Neither team does any damage so that match will drag on forever, but ok.

Elmdork

Otabo! *fangirl screams
I'm about due for an ass whooping, I'd like to see more status based teams against no foolin' and mavericks. Mavericks are very resistant to status and would be more difficult, but better to test against if you want to see your team in less than optimal conditions. No foolin's always been weak to status, so you may want to go against them to test if things work correctly in the best cases. You'll need shell tho. I wouldn't mind seeing them against the odds.

Quote from: Anima Zero on March 17, 2015, 04:23:55 pm

EDIT:  I suppose another match for Darkfire would help with some critiques on what works and what doesn't now that I've had time to muse over my team.  Don't have any real preference for what team to fight so just choose whatever would seem ideal.

Forgot to mention, I LOVE your paladin. He is extremely well built/programmed. We need to see more reraise grand cross paladins and less nurse item bot ones.

Otabo

Ok. Mavericks vs. Total Disrespect. Should be good. That team needs more matches, anyway.

Shintroy

March 18, 2015, 09:25:25 pm #3927 Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:53:23 pm by Shintroy
Offensive Status vs Stalling Status

Round 1 - This map, and probably Grog Hill (the fight near the end of chapter 3) made this almost unwinnable for Otabo. There were a lot of great mimics though. I like how his team can't be turned against itself with charm aside from MP restoration from the Bard.

Round 2 - This map either favors or cripples Otabo's team depending on the match up. I guess in status vs status it's the latter.

GG. Didn't want my first win vs Otabo to be due to the map, but I'll take it.

Thanks for the match Barren.

Self-Destruct vs Themed Team.

Betting on Otabo. Haven't watched the video yet, but unless the Mavericks was updated I think Total Disrespect wins the match up.

---------------------------after watching-----------------------
Round 1 - Wasn't even aware of all the weaknesses Rouroni's team had. Mostly berserk and silence on the Samurai. quick round for Otabo though.

Round 2 - Map and position advantage for Rouroni played a somewhat big part in his win here. It takes 2+ turns for Total Disrespect to render a unit useless. More if the team takes damage and needs to recover. GJ to Rouroni to taking the round.

Round 3 - And that's the last time I vote against the Samurai / Ranger team. Well played round.

GG. Great upgrades to our team Rouroni (i think i thought Mavericks was the fire absorb team before watching.) What was that Chiri damage about? Ridiculous from a samurai. We don't see enough Chiri and I miss it.

My only suggestion to Rouroni is to maybe change either your archers' item choices so that they use Echo Grass, or so the samurai is immune to silence or berserk (defense ring maybe). I'd go with changing the Archers since I wouldn't want to sacrifice that Chiri damage not even by one point of damage.

Anyone know how to prevent the memory card generator from bugging out when you paste a team from the clipboard? I'm using Office 2007, and want to know if it's just because I'm using an old version of excel. Still trying to be able to record matches.

Barren

it might be just the old version of excel, I would try to see if you have macros enabled and also make sure that you are able to import/export properly before you upgrade to 2010
You dare cross blades with me?

Elmdork

March 19, 2015, 09:19:14 am #3929 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:48:00 am by Rouroni Elmdor
Thanks again for the feature, barren! Please update zero, she's had the reflect ring since 1.39. It's like the one time that would have ever mattered XD

shintroy, you are a mean person for making a team like that. Shame on you.(I love it)

This is the third time these two have faced, same map (horror) too. Was disappointed to see zero get berserked, but I guess I can't complain. The RNG gods favor me lately, and I was blessed with two maps where rock man (before mega man was rock man. His sister is roll, during the makeover her name was kept) can just cut, cut, cut. Did not expect the win, especially since I've seen them wipe the floor with me several times before. Round 1 reflected that perfectly. Since then the reflect ring was added and served me well against dark fire in my last match.

Regarding using echo grass, I tried that in their first ever match in 1.38. They cured that turn 1 and I was having NONE of it. I use berserk as a means to push my team in an offensive position, even if his HP is 2. Rock was a paladin, but samurai gets free two hands chiri so...ya, no need for pa save. But he does have basic skill and accumulate if he inists on derping until zero happens along. Damage split is best of both worlds and auto potion was taken. Greedy archers.

GG otabo! Total disrespect is my favourite team in all of fft arena. I mean it. You like mediators, I like oracles, but I still consider you my greatest inspiration for team building (can I has your dancers pleeeease?)

Otabo

Where are you guys seeing status on my team (aside from counters)? I dunno why you guys call Magical Thorns a status team when they have no status capabilities - I just don't see where that is coming from. Maybe I'm seeing things differently. :shock:

Anywho, that's a very special team that relies 100% on reaction abilities; it's not supposed to have any offense (besides counters). It's meant to stick together (as close as possible, anyway), try to outlast the other team and return damage back to said other team. But yeah. I'm not even going to acknowledge anything that happened during that first round; it was lost when the map was chosen. When my team is split apart like that, they can't do jack squat. Also didn't help that Shintroy's team hardly does damage aside from the Oracle (if she decided to use Spellbreaker) and the ninja (if she decided to use Kagesougi).

So, I'm calling for another match - preferably against a team that actually does consistent damage. That's why I was reluctant to see this match in my last post...but oh well. What's done is done.

Haha. RNG was indeed on your side here. Well played. GG. I need to do...SOMETHING with this team, I dunno. I don't like how it is currently. Needs an update badly. Just need to find out when I can update them.

QuoteGG otabo! Total disrespect is my favourite team in all of fft arena. I mean it. You like mediators, I like oracles, but I still consider you my greatest inspiration for team building (can I has your dancers pleeeease?)

Thanks. Appreciate it. And yes, I still like my mediators and my thieves, and my monks. Mimes are starting to peak my interest now, too.

Barren

For my five nights at Freddy's team I only had to make a change to their spelling of their names. Hopefully whoever plans on recording them caught that

TrueLight

• Modding version: PSX

Elmdork

March 20, 2015, 12:46:21 pm #3933 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:52:03 pm by Rouroni Elmdor
H..how does something so squishy survive fft arena?! Great design, shintroy. I have an odd fixation on high HP and I was in awe the whole match.

I was looking forward to seeing your team, barren. I REALLY wanted to give my samurai salty rage, but I couldn't get the move right. Two sword thief is a very clever way to deal with that. Too bad you lose the evade, but the HP isn't terrible. I'm not so sure about the time magic white mage. Tried to do that a few times but I can never make it work. I think a time magic monk might work better. If built defensively, you could have a more well rounded unit, have revive,s.magic,haste/slow2. Personally, my solution to the problem is a white magic samurai.

Barren

March 20, 2015, 01:37:18 pm #3934 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:53:20 pm by Barren
I honestly think its too early for me to make a change now. I just had bad luck overall with the matchup

EDIT: Of course when I say that I change up my team lol

Shintroy

Theme vs Theme
Slight advantage to Barren since his team can recover a lot faster than mine. It also has haste and slow. Never bet against yourself though.

Round 1 - Pretty quick since I got the opening attack. Not the first time it happened.

Round 2 - Great round. I've never seen two highly offensive teams tank each other like this. Can't tank two anti tank weapons though.

Round 3 - I got the opening attack again, and held the lead. When the priest missed that 80%+ Raise 2 it was over. Both scholars punished and sealed it.

GG. This match was all about who could land land their raise 2s. I need to Up my % to at least 80% somehow.

Ya Rouroni. I still remember the first time in Omega Ruins in FFX. Had to reset a couple of hours worth of grinding because I ran into "that" Malboro.

So how you guys choose maps? Doesn't seem completely random. I'm going to start once I get  the sound right so probably Monday-ish I"ll start posting matches. I'll be doing long Arena matches since I don't want my channel flooded with Arena. Looking forward to this. I'll be able to apprieciate how much time uploaders put into recording and commentating matches.... Going to stay away from stall fests.

silentkaster

Okay, sort of a match request. I would like to see CT5Holy and Barren both make defensive teams and have them battle. I just want to see what they both come up with since to my knowledge, I haven't seen either of them produce a defensive team. Of course, team building process videos are welcome too if there's time :).
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Barren

I will try to think of one tomorrow

Elmdork

March 20, 2015, 09:37:27 pm #3938 Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:02:15 am by Rouroni Elmdor
Quote from: Shintroy on March 20, 2015, 08:27:42 pm
Theme vs Theme
Slight advantage to Barren since his team can recover a lot faster than mine. It also has haste and slow. Never bet against yourself though.

Round 1 - Pretty quick since I got the opening attack. Not the first time it happened.

Round 2 - Great round. I've never seen two highly offensive teams tank each other like this. Can't tank two anti tank weapons though.

Round 3 - I got the opening attack again, and held the lead. When the priest missed that 80%+ Raise 2 it was over. Both scholars punished and sealed it.

GG. This match was all about who could land land their raise 2s. I need to Up my % to at least 80% somehow.

Ya Rouroni. I still remember the first time in Omega Ruins in FFX. Had to reset a couple of hours worth of grinding because I ran into "that" Malboro.

So how you guys choose maps? Doesn't seem completely random. I'm going to start once I get  the sound right so probably Monday-ish I"ll start posting matches. I'll be doing long Arena matches since I don't want my channel flooded with Arena. Looking forward to this. I'll be able to apprieciate how much time uploaders put into recording and commentating matches.... Going to stay away from stall fests.

Yes, I do recall "that" Malboro, though I don't recall if you could just use zombie+phoenix down on him. Everything but the black flan dies to that in that cave.

Quote from: silentkaster on March 20, 2015, 08:29:34 pm
Okay, sort of a match request. I would like to see CT5Holy and Barren both make defensive teams and have them battle. I just want to see what they both come up with since to my knowledge, I haven't seen either of them produce a defensive team. Of course, team building process videos are welcome too if there's time :).

I am a fan of the idea. I will accept any similarly proposed challenge.
Ideas: SCC (tried, tested, true) all units 10+ SPD, all units 10- speed, all units 13+pa/ma, One unit must be berserked, 2 undead units, no any ability slot (ie. No reaction, move, secondary. Just one, not all) all units must deal/absorb an element, all mage, all physical

The Damned

(Ugh. I'm an idiot. Like always, I knew I forgot something. In this instance it was noting that Mimes still don't use MP for some stupid reason. I'll fix that later, just like I should finally update my team entries tonight.)

Since I'm still around for all your foddering needs, I'd still be interested in seeing how horribly my "Esper Family Outing" team does against Barren's "Tri-Absorb" team; I suppose that team is called "Multi-Absorb" now though. Feel free to also throw said team at Otabo's "Magical Thorns"--despite the fact that the Bard now absorbs Ice--given Otabo says he wants to fight mage-heavy or status-heavy teams with it and "Esper Family Outing" is definitely the former. Besides, I imagine he wouldn't mind beating up on Summoners and I'm feeling even more masochistic than usual.

Outside of that, I need to re-watch like four or five videos since I don't really remember what happened in anything of them with great detail outside of the fact that I surprisingly barely lost to White Knight Wiegraf. So belated GG with regards to that. In the meanwhile, now that I'm caught up on the other matches, I can comment on those.

I'll admit that I chuckled when I saw that Zero was a female unit since I honestly don't know anyone who didn't think he was a woman at first due to his breast-lights. I'll also admit that I can't look at Anima Zero's team's name without thinking about that "Hellfire" song from Disney's version of Hunchback of Notre Dame. (R.I.P. Tony Jay.)

As for the actual match, it proved what I've suspected for quite a while: if you want your Grand Cross user to, well, use Grand Cross to heal himself (or herself) upon (Reraise) revival rather than just being stupid with Nurse, then you're going to have forego Nurse completely. That's...unfortunate.

Beyond that, this was decently close, though Anima Zero's team not being completely immune to Oil screwed it over at points and in the third round his Paladin was stingy with Grand Cross even before he got Oiled. Then again, Blind unfortunately doesn't affect Chirijiraden's accuracy and besides the relatively limited amount of Hawk's Eyes, that was chiefly was kicking in his ass. The female Samurai in general was the reason Anima Zero's team lost between that and her Raise 2s tending to hit. As much damage as the male Samurai was capable of doing, having Berserk on initially means he tended to do die first.

Ugh. Personally I just try to avoid using Zombie Zalbag's map in general because I think it's a flat out horrible map in general for Arena's purposes, at least with the current starting positions. So the fact that Otabo basically got destroyed on it isn't surprising since he essentially lost from the word "go". His getting unlucky with the lack of Counter Magic Petrify from the Bard didn't help either. Petrify in general seems like it destroys (this version of) his team as evidenced by the second round.

That said, Otabo's current composition of Magical Thorn is really dubious in my eyes, which isn't too surprising since that tends to happen with the first forms of a lot of teams, especially with how the A.I. actually acts. Still, I find it a more than a bit ironic that he says he's swearing off mages, particularly Summoners, and then goes for a MA-based, low offense team with Summon Magic and White Magic on non-mages that can't make as good use of it (even with Bard's superior MA), at least under current circumstances. Shrug.

Not much to say about the second match other than I'm surprised the A.I. was smart about ending it that quickly, especially given all that "let's walk into statues even though only one of us can do anything"; actually, in general I'm surprised this match didn't drag out way longer. Thankfully despite Mime being busted in a ridiculous amount of aspects mechanically, it's still affected by 0 MP...except in the case of Counter Magic apparently.

Regardless, it's nice to see Monster Dict not only use, but it's use be what prevented this match from dragging on for possibly literally twice as long.

Honestly I was tempted to just stop watching halfway through when it looked like the really rote, still really dumb and still why-is-this-still-so-effective Berserk + Kiyomori strategy was going to win yet again. I just find that strategy extremely boring, especially since the A.I. tends to dick around even after everyone is Berserked, Blind & Poisoned.

Luckily though, or rather unluckily for Otabo's team, Rouroni Elmdor's male Samurai just didn't seem to give a damn about Blind and ended up killing everyone in the second and third rounds where he was able to stay up rather than being allowed to charge in by himself and killed, as happened in the first round. That's really all there is say about this match since a combination of bad luck and that male Samurai were ultimately the tipping point for Otabo's loss here.

Just like in the actual game, Chica is the least threatening of the bunch in actuality and Barren basically lost because she was too busy with being ineffectual with Time Magic than actually supporting. Barren gains some respect for trying to use Haste 1 and Slow 1 despite how frankly bad or at least mediocre-at-best they currently are, but that's what ultimately bit him in the ass.

Beyond that, he mostly just lost because Tornado & Quake are hideously unbalanced, though the latter made no apperance in this particular match, and he didn't really have any AoE to compete against Tornado blowing him away in the first place. I suppose getting slightly unlucky with revival despite Shintroy''s team surprisingly low Raise 2 rates screwed over Barren's team a bit as well though.

Also, to Barren, regarding Float: Indeed, Float--both the general status and thus the Movement--will make the unit immune to Earth elemental abilities, but will not prevent that same from getting hit by regular attacks using Earth-elemental weapons. So while every Earth-based ability, such as Earth Slash or Quake, will miss a Floating unit even if it's weapon based, the actual weapon shots from  any Earth-elemental weapon will still do normal damage if it hits; it's been like that since vanilla.

As such, despite the many things in vanilla that can be improved upon, I personally don't that particular quirk is actually a flaw. At the same time, I won't stand in the way of anyone wanting to nudge FFMaster about trying to change it. If that's the case, though, then I personally would rather see the Float Movement buffed to do something else alongside Always: Float, especially since Volcano is a rarely used map that currently also has really poor starting positions relative to its terrain; meanwhile, Feather Boots is easily "fixed" by just giving it Null: Earth on top of Always: Float if people think three barely used weapons hitting Float that ("logically") "shouldn't" is actually a problem.

P.S. For the record, to be perfectly clear, if you use a Grand Cross unit with an Earth-elemental weapon and Float, they'll still be immune to their own Grand Cross. This despite the fact that another unit using an Earth-elemental weapon can damage them with melee if the Grand Cross unit doesn't actually absorb Earth (which is unlikely since it would otherwise likely be pointless if you're using Float on that unit in the first place).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"