• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

map editing in Ganesha-finding the raining weather condition

Started by makennedy, August 01, 2012, 08:58:15 am

makennedy

i'm currently working on remaking all the maps and from what i gather you change weather condition with the bracket keys and need to match the condition used in game with the condition you alter in order to see modifications. the issue is when i cycle the background color changes but i can't tell which background is which weather condition. for example: first map you need the rainy version, how do i know which is rainy b/c the rain doesn't show up during editing.

LastingDawn

I'm relatively sure that maps don't have weather conditions but that is considered through events. There may be some conditions though, since I've never seen the ability to use Snow outside of Zeakden, Goland maps.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

makennedy

snow is a terrain type and although weather is random in random encounters, they are set in the storyline encounters ie: it always rains in the first one, and then there is a swamp mission in act 3 i believe that it rains and a character comments on it. this is from the instructions that come with ganesha "A situation is a combination of an "arrangement" (different configurations of polygons and terrain), a weather condition (sunny, cloudy, very cloudy), and a time of day. To cycle through situations, use the [ and ] keys. Most maps have about 10 situations, but this varies. Be sure you have the right situation selected before you start editing a map, or you won't see your changes in the game when you're done". thanks for the attempt, i'm going to alter each situation one by one in order to learn which background corresponds to each situation and post the results. if anyone has an answer it would save me plenty of time

LastingDawn

Yes, each map has variations, but the way those variations are loaded are through Events themselves. (Aside from random battles, I'm not sure how that works). There is a Weather command in Events, which changes, well the weather, but that all depends on the map, as noted in the instruction.

http://ffhacktics.com/instructions.php?id=3C

Also there is the Attack.out portions that control day/night and the like. Map situation may also draw these different states, I never really explored that deep into it.

Art of War

makennedy

...you're totally off topic. if you don't know the answer stop posting. i'm asking a pretty to the point question, how do you recognize each in ganesha. i don't care about anything you're saying, we all know the situations are random but that doesn't change that i need to alter a specific situation in order to not do lots of un-needed work. do you know which situation is which? if so tell me, if not then let some1 who does answer. i think you got way too caught up with bad examples and forgot the base question: how can you tell which situation is which. i can flip through them but what they actually are is unclear

3lric

Quote from: makennedy on August 01, 2012, 08:32:17 pm
...you're totally off topic. if you don't know the answer stop posting. i'm asking a pretty to the point question, how do you recognize each in ganesha. i don't care about anything you're saying, we all know the situations are random but that doesn't change that i need to alter a specific situation in order to not do lots of un-needed work. do you know which situation is which? if so tell me, if not then let some1 who does answer. i think you got way too caught up with bad examples and forgot the base question: how can you tell which situation is which. i can flip through them but what they actually are is unclear

First off, there is only like 4 people who know about map editing on this site, consider yourself lucky that even one of them gave a shit enough to even try to help you.
Second off, do not be this disrespectful again, if someone posts something that doesn't answer your question, oh well. They still bothered to post with the knowledge they do have.
There was absolutely no reason at all for you to react this way.

This is your one and only warning.
  • Modding version: PSX

makennedy

i was respectful in the first reply, it's when he continued on his tangent that i was very coarse in what i said. i did the whole hey thanks, but thats not what i'm going for thing but he followed through with what i stated wasn't want i was looking for. i even left a direct quote from my the person who made the program (or at least distributes it) so we would be working with the same info and not miscommunicate. if i ask about apples, there's only so far i'll roll with a bannana speech. i guess it was a little much and i will say i apologize for being rude but i think everyone can see how a response circumventing the question can be frustrating when prolonged. i said it once and i'll say it again, thanks for the attempt and i'll post some results on wether the situations are as relevent as the instructions state and if it happens in a timely manner figure out what exactly those situations are the keys are cycling through/represent.

MiKeMiTchi

How dare you say that to Sir LD!? Good luck finding someone else willing to help you.

If you want an apple-like answer, make your statements clearer and choice of words nicer next time, so that people could understand better the things you query about. From how I see it, you are similar to a Mediator talking to a Monster without Monster Talk, and the only skill you have is Insult. Avoid being rude since it's you who need help. If you're not treating people trying to help you out nicely, and if you use the Insult skill, then most likely the target helper goes Berserk, and the rate of a successful answer lowers.  :lol:
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

makennedy

LastingDawn

Quote from: makennedy on August 01, 2012, 08:32:17 pm

Sorry about that accidentally sent this to you as a PM because I forgot how these forums worked (thought the speech bubble was quote, not PM...)

I am afraid that your question was in regards to know if there was a way to tell what each situation corresponded to. I should have been clearer, we do not know, to my knowledge, what each links to. But that it likely follows matters laid out in Attack.out which would be a good starting place to mapping out yet another part of the game for easy editing and access.

Once you have the basics (for instance 01 may refer to Situation 2 in Gariland, or what have you.) then you can start looking for the answer with a concrete base. I'm only offering the way to possibly see what these are in game, not the direct answers.

Art of War

makennedy

ok, so i don't have the situations mapped yet but this is what i have so far. each map (i'll use the opening scene as my example) has several versions ie. map062.11 or map062.7. these i belive are the situations. when you insert a map if you don't replace the proper version then no change will be seen. i did 3 at one time to make it faster but map 62 uses either map062.11, .7, or.8(i'm fairly certain .11 was the failed attempt but i forgot to write it down). you open genesha with the map you want and can edit from there and if you want different textures from whats is availible from default then you import png files from other maps. this makes anything possible with each map as long as you stay within the size restraint (from what i can tell) too big and i got a truncation error and too small it will pad with zeros making it appear very distorted. as a test i turned the opening scene into a cave. i don't know where to post them but if anyone wants them i have every png (texture) from in game saved and can upload or give them to anyone interested(easy enough to get but rather time consuming). hopefully as i work on each map i can record what i learn about the procedure and compile the info in a thread or something. hopefully with more info more people with be making maps and we can get a custom map link like they have for spriting for everyone to use. i'm not one of the 4 gurus but i'm all for helping to get more people informed on this.

LastingDawn

Sounds like good work. I'd suggest to making a thread in the FFT Hacking forums with all of this information. That's where information dumps ordinarily are placed.

Though what you've said with truncation and padded zero's is one of the larger issues when it comes to using CD Mage but there's really little that can be done about it.

Art of War

Dome

Quote from: MiKeMiTchi on August 02, 2012, 10:42:02 am
From how I see it, you are similar to a Mediator talking to a Monster without Monster Talk, and the only skill you have is Insult.

Signed

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"